first knife: Fujiwara Denka?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red handles are sold out of their shop in Tokyo from what I understand. If you can't make it there, you could look out for one on BST but they might be hard to find.

Or then you can colour light wood with unicorn blood

Heh, I approach 3-Michelin meals and a memorable street stall with equal enthusiasm.

We're just talking about different levels. I too get super excited about eating from a top-notch Asian food stall—but eating at a four-star joint often elevates things considerably with more finesse, better quality ingredients, life-changingly delicious dishes, etc.

In knife terms, based on my experience, there's a considerable difference between a *cheapish factory made knife like a Masamoto KS (fun knife, familiar profile, average steel, nondescript handle) and an exceptional handmade knife by say, someone like Evan Anzentberger for twice the price. The latter beats the former in performance, quality, steel, craftsmanship, aesthetics, etc.

[*KS was cheapish when I bought it, maybe about $325 about a decade ago]

Don't get me wrong, I love my KS. Good beater for me.

How do I get a Denka with a red handle?
As previously mentioned, they are in the shop but they don't bother to offer online. I'm not sure if they still make them. This was 2018.
The shop has lots of odd knives, including the bone handled ones on the top shelf.
The santoku bottom left has a handle made from the magnolia tree in front of the shop...nice gaps!
Ask them by email what is available. They will sell them to you if they have them. There's nothing exclusive about it.
display.jpg

I played with them all and like the black western handle Maboroshi with finger notch most...

As previously mentioned, they are in the shop but they don't bother to offer online. I'm not sure if they still make them.
The shop has lots of odd knives, including the bone handled ones on the top shelf. The santoku bottom left has a handle made from the magnolia tree in front of the shop...nice gaps!
Ask them by email what is available. They will sell them to you if they have them. There's nothing exclusive about it.
View attachment 90384
I played with them all and like the black western handles with finger notch most...
Ah, that's awesome. A visit there is on my bucket list for sure.

but, as mine is concave through almost the entire grind, I would imagine thinning just behind the edge is an easier job to execute than on a convex bevel.
Have other people here experienced the same when it comes to the grind? It's been a few years since I've last bought a knife from them, but the "graded" convex grind has been a defining feature of every TF gyuto I've handled. Just wondering if they've changed their grind/geometry in general.

@microtech When you thinking of making a move for a denka? Can't wait to see it.
Within the next few days! I'll be requesting for the wa handle to be included but come unattached (for custom handle later).

If TF doesn't have one from inventory readily available based on my specific requests, any ideas how long it will take to fabricate one, and how long is shipping from japan to US?

Last edited:
Within the next few days! I'll be requesting that for the wa handle to be included be come unattached (for custom handle later).

If TF doesn't have one from inventory readily available based on my specific requests, any ideas how long it will take to fabricate one, and how long is shipping from japan to US?

To the best of my knowledge EMS shipments from Japan to USA is suspended, DHL is expensive, maybe an additional $100 or so. I'd originally planned on going direct from TF through Gaku, but ended up getting secondhand because of the shipping situ. I don't trust shipments from Asia right now, one of my knives from Asia took more than 3 months—was supposed to take 10 days.

If DHL is an option, that's the safest route.

Epic Edge is a possibility if you don't mind paying a premium.

Drew at Epic Edge would prob send you pics of what he has in stock if you request.

Last edited:
You can probably contact the folks at knifewear and see if they can help you out from Canada.

Within the next few days! I'll be requesting for the wa handle to be included but come unattached (for custom handle later).

I am too - i am leaning towards the Wa handle - have two options 245mm Denka Gyuto with rosewood handle or 275mm Denka with Cherry wood handle. It would be my first Denka - not my first knife - so not sure which way to go here - 245 or 275 - that is the question

I’d suggest getting one with an installed handle so you can use the knife and test it out. It usually only takes seconds to remove a wa handle.
And using it will give you a chance to check out the grind. It might arrive to you in great condition. While TF Denka’s best trait is probably the steel, the well ground ones are excellent knives. You may not need to fix what’s not broken.
(Handle choice is more of a preference issue, and I’m in the group that finds ho kinda boring).

Quick question for Denka fans - how much should a 240 mm Wa handle Gyuto Denka weigh? Are they heavy - 225gm+ or are they around 200gms?

I am too - i am leaning towards the Wa handle - have two options 245mm Denka Gyuto with rosewood handle or 275mm Denka with Cherry wood handle. It would be my first Denka - not my first knife - so not sure which way to go here - 245 or 275 - that is the question
Remember, if you choke up with a pinch grip the signature TF finger notch will effectively reduce the length of the cutting edge by about 10-15mm. So if you like oversized 240's with regular choils go for the 275.

Remember, if you choke up with a pinch grip the signature TF finger notch will effectively reduce the length of the cutting edge by about 10-15mm. So if you like oversized 240's with regular choils go for the 275.

Good thought.

Also Depends on the weight - my website where I am thinking of buying it says thrn240mm is 194gm and the 275 is 214 gm - seems kind of light - that’s why I wonder if these are thinned our versions of Denka. I mean they just look substantial from the pics - my Y Tanaka I just got from JNS was 208 gm - how can the Denka be lighter - it just looks so much bigger

That does seem light. Directly from TF, a 240mm should be around 240grams, so a discrepancy of 46g seems like a lot

https://www.teruyasu.net/products/japanese_knife_gyuto_denka.html

Thanks - something definitely seemed off - 245 mm at only 194 gm. This really helps my next move. At the retailer I can see the quality, ordering from Japan, I need a Denka whisperer to guide me to give the right direction and check quality- could be a surprise- but hey, that’s why we love knives

Thanks again🙏🙏🙏

Thats for the Yo handle which is significantly heavier compared to a Wa. Weights are all over the place.
Thanks for this correction. Wow I didn't realize wa and yo handles have this much of a difference

Their website didn't even specify which handle the specs were measured in. But I guess with such inconsistencies, specs should be taken with a grain of salt

It really depends, my previous Maboroshi was 219g and my Denka was 253g. Both western handle.

My upcoming Denka will be in the 270-290 ballpark.

It really depends, my previous Maboroshi was 219g and my Denka was 253g. Both western handle.

My upcoming Denka will be in the 270-290 ballpark.

I presume western handle - does a Wa handle 245 mm Gyuto at 194 gm seem a bit “off” to you? Is it still a Denka if it is so light?

TF making you a Wakizashi?
Nope, I just prefer bigger knives
I presume western handle - does a Wa handle 245 mm Gyuto at 194 gm seem a bit “off” to you? Is it still a Denka if it is so light?
It depends, could be a more lasery one they’re sending you. I’ve seen really thin ones in store as well as fat ones. I know another member here with a 240 western handle topping out at 215g so it’s not too far off for Wa handle.

Latest posts

Back