First time smoking a rib roast (bone in, 19lbs)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My plan is to do a 48hr dry brine with salt and then pellet smoke it for 7hrs at 250f or until it reaches 125f.

My goal is to do it this Sunday. But, I'd like to ask for some advice, in order to make it sure proof. I will have probe in for sure.

TIA :)

I would take it off the bones first, before seasoning and smoking, rest the roast on the bone rack to help minimize additional moisture loss and any (slightly more) direct or intense heat. I'd also only bring it to 110-115 internal, then do a pan sear in hot fat of some kind to develop an intense and beautiful crust. Rest for 10 minutes before carving and you'll still hit a nice medium rare.

I'd love to see pictures and or descriptions of your process. If you don't do a pan-sear, your original temp goals are ideal.

I would take it off the bones first, before seasoning and smoking, rest the roast on the bone rack to help minimize additional moisture loss and any (slightly more) direct or intense heat. I'd also only bring it to 110-115 internal, then do a pan sear in hot fat of some kind to develop an intense and beautiful crust. Rest for 10 minutes before carving and you'll still hit a nice medium rare.

I'd love to see pictures and or descriptions of your process. If you don't do a pan-sear, your original temp goals are ideal.
I can't do a pan sear most likely, but I can do a griddle sear on an outdoor one. It's a summer place, so not very kitchen friendly, so even taking off the bones might be hard since i dont have any decent knives either.... but i may do your idea of 110f and then intense crust!

I like the bone idea. I have my butcher take it off and I season and retie it back on for a heatshield of sorts. I only salt and pepper it usually.

no clue on the pellet smoker. I use my Weber Kettle and target typical oven temps. 300 deg or so. hunk of applewood in the coals.

Personally, I don't see a lot of point in removing the bones and then tying them back on for smoking; the heat is gentle enough (250 degrees) that loss of moisture shouldn't be a big issue. Besides, putting the bones back on prevents that whole side of the meat from getting smoky.

If you're really worried about drying, wrap the roast after smoking for 2-3 hours; the meat won't absorb much smoke flavor after 2-3 hours anyway.

You can get a nice crust by filling a charcoal chimney starter with coal, let the coals get good and hot, and then put a grill grate right on top of the chimney. The meat will need only 30-60 seconds per side to get a super crust. I've yet to find a better way to get a nice seared crust.

how many bones in a 19lb roast? 5?

I am limited to a 3-bone. it isn't a problem cutting off the bones after it is cooked. larger roast, I prefer the butcher do it and just snip cordage later.

just me.

How high temperature can you pellet pooper go? If it can go up to 450 plus I would do it like you said at 250 ( or even 170-200 for first 2 hours if you want it smokier) till 110, pull and cover/rest while you crank the smoker up as high as it will go. Then 10-20 minutes at high temp to sear.

I try to avoid any pan/griddle searing on anything bigger than 5ish pounds as it is just unwieldy. Also, complex shapes like rib roast are hard to sear against flat metal vs in a hot oven/grill/smoker.

It's in fridge dry brining. Tomorrow going to coat it with a 2nd row of rub. I am still arguing with people here whether to torch it or sear at 500f for last 15 min or so... we'll see tomorrow!

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 0
Personally, I don't see a lot of point in removing the bones and then tying them back on for smoking; the heat is gentle enough (250 degrees) that loss of moisture shouldn't be a big issue. Besides, putting the bones back on prevents that whole side of the meat from getting smoky.

If you're really worried about drying, wrap the roast after smoking for 2-3 hours; the meat won't absorb much smoke flavor after 2-3 hours anyway.

You can get a nice crust by filling a charcoal chimney starter with coal, let the coals get good and hot, and then put a grill grate right on top of the chimney. The meat will need only 30-60 seconds per side to get a super crust. I've yet to find a better way to get a nice seared crust.
I hear what you're saying, but here's why I do it.

It allows me to season that part of the roast. It also ensures that I don't have any spots of drier or more cooked meat, since it's still protected. And finally, since it's already cut, its very easy to take just the meat to the pan or grill or chimney for a finishing sear on all sides evenly and it's easier to carve

Back