Flipper alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My take on the situation.
Hate me or don’t I don’t care.

If you’re super flashy on the forum constantly showing off top tier unicorn knives and philosophizing over pricing publicly and even dropping hints you might be willing to part with others on the dl. You will get attention and not all of it will be welcomed.
Don’t show everyone your cards.

I'm gonna flip the HELL out of my Shindo hoard in 15 years and none of y'all are gonna be able to stop me. I might even sell them for $100!!

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

I agree with you here.

Even with reasonable logic and good intentions I ended hurting a good person which is the last thing I wanted to do. I should have taken my concern to him directly
I haven't been on this forum for a long time like some of y'all. Also I'm not a very frequent contributor. I saw the drama and I think that even if he had bought the knife for 1k it wouldn't be bad form. I understood your 'maker favor' angle. However he was sitting on an ultra rare knife that you have to wait 5+ years, or get incredibly lucky in a drop to get brand new.

The effort/luck/relationships he invested in to get it are worth something. Moreover if he listed it at half the price he'd have had every member fighting and only one could get it. Why not let price differentiate to some extent.

Furthermore he was very clear in exactly what the knife was, the condition and price etc. He wasn't trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes. Even if he had paid less it's a rare special knife that many collectors with the $$ would love to skip the line for. He could have sold it outside the forum for at least as much, I suspect, and wouldn't the forum have just been the worse off for it? I bet given his relationship with Abe at eating tools, he could have had it listed there on commission!

Given these factors I think purchase price was probably not relevant to listing price. His history of trying to put good out there into the world only adds to that.

Bico this isn't a personal attack, just how I saw it after giving it a little thought.

P.s. @OwlWoodworks have I sucked up enough to get a cutting board 🤣

I haven't been on this forum for a long time like some of y'all. Also I'm not a very frequent contributor. I saw the drama and I think that even if he had bought the knife for 1k it wouldn't be bad form. I understood your 'maker favor' angle. However he was sitting on an ultra rare knife that you have to wait 5+ years, or get incredibly lucky in a drop to get brand new.

The effort/luck/relationships he invested in to get it are worth something. Moreover if he listed it at half the price he'd have had every member fighting and only one could get it. Why not let price differentiate to some extent.

Furthermore he was very clear in exactly what the knife was, the condition and price etc. He wasn't trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes. Even if he had paid less it's a rare special knife that many collectors with the $$ would love to skip the line for. He could have sold it outside the forum for at least as much, I suspect, and wouldn't the forum have just been the worse off for it? I bet given his relationship with Abe at eating tools, he could have had it listed there on commission!

Given these factors I think purchase price was probably not relevant to listing price. His history of trying to put good out there into the world only adds to that.

Bico this isn't a personal attack, just how I saw it after giving it a little thought.

Bro I’m gonna send you so many cutting boards 😅

No worries, it’s not personal because I don’t know you and have never even heard of you until now. I’ve taken counter point from members I know and respect, part of that was conceding any wrong on my part. Your take on the matter has already been said. You’re right people can price whatever they want for their knives. My point is simply when you rely on the kindness of forum members you should pay it forward. If you don’t agree with that then I don’t care.

Truth is I’m tired of @OwlWoodworks sycophants coming after me. And he seems to be encouraging it. I thought my apology squashed it but it’s obvious he’s still hurting. I even sent a follow up DM just checking he was good but I’ve yet to hear back.

I won’t lie I’m disappointed. I’ve already apologized multiple times and have expressed regret for hurting someone I believed to be a good person but his reactions here are starting to convince me otherwise…

Luke - if you have any lingering issues with me then I hope you connect with me directly and we can discuss it like men. If not, you’re not the man I thought you were and I wish you the very best.

That’s the last I’m going to say about the matter.

No worries, it’s not personal because I don’t know you and have never even heard of you until now. I’ve taken counter point from members I know and respect, part of that was conceding any wrong on my part. Your take on the matter has already been said. You’re right people can price whatever they want for their knives. My point is simply when you rely on the kindness of forum members you should pay it forward. If you don’t agree with that then I don’t care.

Truth is I’m tired of @OwlWoodworks sycophants coming after me. And he seems to be encouraging it. I thought my apology squashed it but it’s obvious he’s still hurting. I even sent a follow up DM just checking he was good but I’ve yet to hear back.

I won’t lie I’m disappointed. I’ve already apologized multiple times and have expressed regret for hurting someone I believed to be a good person but his reactions here are starting to convince me otherwise…

Luke - if you have any lingering issues with me then I hope you connect with me directly and we can discuss it like men. If not, you’re not the man I thought you were and I wish you the very best.

arse kissers run rampant up in here if u haven't noticed already 🤣 don't apologize for saying how you see it.

All those new bnib konosukes with vintage steel are being sold way above msrp right? At this point I suppose that’s the nature of #fujiyamagang? Sorta stuff is outside my wheelhouse.
Not all the time. There is a kind gentleman on here who sold me one for MSRP. It will be kept forever by me unless for some reason I am in immediate financial need, and he will get first dibs at the price he sold.

I've chimed in occasionally when I see stuff, but as I said I'm not super active.

The joke about the board was to lighten the mood, Luke seems like a good dude who I think deserves a bit of extra leeway, but the point I was making was kinda independent of him, tho I think other factors would mitigate the favor stuff. I was just throwing out my 2c on the situation, not really defending him, given you'd clearly gone and cleared up everything with him.

I'd have done the same for @SolidSnake03, for example, who seems to be a good dude and give more than he takes (he'll also vouch I've done him a solid because of that - so it's not just hollow words)

I just felt that even at a nice profit this wouldn't have crossed the line into predatory. You seem like a pretty reasonable guy and maybe just a bit worn down by the drama so I'll put the sycophant comment to that rather than malice. Also money is like politics, seems to create heightened emotions and insults where none were intended.

I suppose my view is bad flipping is predatory and actively harms this forum/community by driving people away. Harmless flipping is where it's clearly (probably) a flip, it's well known/advertised but it makes something hard to get available to those willing to pay. Good flipping is what we do with pancakes.

A continuous theme with this thread and the unpopular opinions thread is that people are unwilling to let drama/conflict die off. Personally I think plenty was said on all sides. 🤷

Then again, pretty sure the unpopular opinions thread argued about pineapple on pizza for like 45 pages. Maybe this conversation will never end. We are a persistent crew.

A continuous theme with this thread and the unpopular opinions thread is that people are unwilling to let drama/conflict die off. Personally I think plenty was said on all sides. 🤷

Then again, pretty sure the unpopular opinions thread argued about pineapple on pizza for like 45 pages. Maybe this conversation will never end. We are a persistent crew.
Fair point. I think most people are reasonable and there's a variety of views held among them and they find it hard to believe that other people who they know to be reasonable would see something so differently. So it's kinda like 'well maybe if I say it one more time in a different way, they'll finally understand that putting pineapple on pizza should be a capital offence'

IMG_9914.gif

Look up flipper in the dictionary and see 2 BNIB Konosuke vintage Swedish 240 FM's being offered for 3x their original price.
He's not even an Influencer FFS. :rolleyes: 🧐

Last edited:
***edited***

For anyone reading this now, this was a long post about mental health which I made to hopefully bring some peace to a conflict I was involved in here. It has done that, and I have stopped getting notifications from people reading and reacting to it now, so I am removing it as it is no longer needed.

Last edited:
Imagine cutting pineapple with a Kato bought for $20,000 after his 25th year in retirement aged 103 and then putting it on a pizza.

In all sincerity, Luke I hope you're ok. Look after yourself, that's the most important thing.

Hi KKF,

This is one of those messages I've been proofreading over and over with my hand shaking on the mouse poised over the post reply button.

I really don't know what to do here guys. My thought through most of this has been to try and stay out of it. I haven't been very good at that by liking or commenting in jest with people that I am thankful to have supporting me. I realize that by doing that, what I am also doing for people with a different point of view is encouraging the conflict. And I'm sorry about that.

I cleared things up with David by explaining the pricing and spending on my knife as best and as detailed as I could which he accepted and graciously came back and apologized for. And I sincerely appreciate that.

Post knife sale, I still had the intention of posting two more knives for sale here. I researched and did the math on every single little bit of my jiro going through credit card statements and payment app history to document what I spent as best I could to avoid this happening again. My goal was to show that I am not profiting off these knives, and also that I never had any intention of profiting off these knives. The work of it I'm really not too fussed about, but it was the fear that I was missing something or doing something wrong and that it would cause another massive stir in the community that stressed me out. Trying to communicate that I am honestly trying to do the right thing and act with integrity, knowing that it would be scrutinized by thousands of eyes was just brutal. I realized I'm not enjoying this at all any more. I don't want to be here, I don't want to do this.

After making that post I hosted a giveaway for my last knife because while I wanted to sell it, I just couldn't bring myself to do that again. I had decided previously that these were the three knives I was letting go of today and that I wanted them to go to KKF people. But at this point I just wanted to be done with getting them new homes, even if it meant giving them away. I really didn't care anymore, I just wanted to be done with it. In case you're not noticing, I was in a very depressed and catastrophizing state.

I explained that sentiment in the giveaway and I am forever thankful for the people that reached out to check that I was ok. I have had so many messages, phone calls and even video calls today from people I've spoken with lots and even people I have never noticed on the forum. For that I am incredibly grateful. I talked to everyone about how I was doing and that helped a lot having people to talk to.

If you're reading this and thinking that I am a big dramatic baby getting all depressed over a little website community, I completely understand that and would think the same thing. My problems are not with the community, they are internal

It's not something I ever expected to be divulging in a setting like this but I don't know how else to end this without fully explaining things now.

Some of you may know that before I made cutting boards, I had a much more high speed job. I ended that job with a slew of injuries, of which a few mental health diagnoses were what forced me into an early retirement. That is something I struggle with a lot to this day and will for the rest of my life. It is the reason my daily life is now safe and sound in my garage making cutting boards. Basically restricted and tucked away from the outside world. As I look to open up my life again and get out of my safe zone ruts, places like KKF become really amazing for me. A small community of people who are passionate about the same things as me is an amazing thing to be a part of.

For somebody who has dropped most of their old life due to it revolving entirely around my work, I had made a lot of my new closest friends here. When the original accusation was made, that of course stung, but you can't please everybody. And like I said in that comment I understand and accept his opinion. What really rocked me was the comments that followed and especially the DM's here on KKF and over on instagram. People I felt like I was really close with, who I thought I had a relationship with were so quick to turn on me. I never would have thought a rogue accusation like that would immediately nullify all the wonderful interactions I've had here. In my mind, I had this community of people that I felt really connected to and suddenly that was no longer the reality and made me paranoid that it never was. Comments and DM's were, "Yea that price was nonsense", "Wow I had no idea you were that kind of person" and other things that were rough to hear from people I had always considered friends. For somebody who suffers from PTSD, this kind of switch from thinking you are in a safe environment to suddenly realizing it is a hostile environment was traumatizing to say the least.

It was just jarring for me to be going about my life truly believing I am being a good person surrounded by people who like and ideally even care about me, to suddenly be dragged through the mud for something I've never done, and before I know it my friends are all out with their pitchforks and torches. It was a shattering of reality that hit a little too close to home for me.

But the key to all of this is that this is MY perception of things. This is not a "KKF is full of terrible people", this is an "I am not in a place in my life to be able to cope with this kind of potential event". I know where it will lead me mentally and I am terrified of being in a place like that again. This forum was a place that I could dip my toes into once and a while and feel like the world is safe. And yesterday it wasn't anymore, and that was rough. And that is because of ME and how I handle things and cope. Not a slight against this community.

I certainly considered just leaving the forum, but unfortunately, all that would do is reinforce the belief in my mind that the world is a dangerous place and I was right to stay home and keep to myself. I do think my BST selling days are over, I don't think that is something I am going to be able to handle again. I do intend to stay on the forum though because there is a part of me that still really enjoys it, and a part of my recovery that really needs it.

At the end of this, I have discovered there are certainly some people who hate me, and some who really care about me. Regardless of which you are, I would ask a favour of all of you. If not for me than just for the sake of not dividing this community any further. Can we please get back to discussing more pressing KKF business like Kato's semi-annual semi-retirement, and how pineapple is disgusting on pizza and that the people who enjoy it may be the only people more ****ed in the head than me.
I am with you on some of this. During my "HRC gate" I got a lot of people jumping on me, maybe partially deserved, but the ganging up did make me feel really depressed and I didn't want to get on the site again and I definitely built up some walls. Glad I gave it a couple days and decided not to sell all my knives in anger and annoyance lol. It is funny how we place so much stock on what random people on the internet think, but that's just how we are wired I guess. If you know that you aren't on b/s/t to be making dank profits all the time, I wouldn't worry about posting to b/s/t, even without price breakdowns. People can decide for themselves if it's worth the price you are asking

I am with you on some of this. During my "HRC gate" I got a lot of people jumping on me, maybe partially deserved, but the ganging up did make me feel really depressed and I didn't want to get on the site again and I definitely built up some walls. Glad I gave it a couple days and decided not to sell all my knives in anger and annoyance lol. It is funny how we place so much stock on what random people on the internet think, but that's just how we are wired I guess. If you know that you aren't on b/s/t to be making dank profits all the time, I wouldn't worry about posting to b/s/t, even without price breakdowns. People can decide for themselves if it's worth the price you are asking
I feel that man, and I’m sorry you went through it. I remember seeing the fallout from that and just thinking how horrible it must have been to be in your position. You took it like a champ, and you shouldn’t have had to.

I feel that man, and I’m sorry you went through it. I remember seeing the fallout from that and just thinking how horrible it must have been to be in your position. You took it like a champ, and you shouldn’t have had to.
We really do have some similar mindsets, when I was in a bad mood awhile back I did a giveaway as well haha. I think it's cool to try and take that negative energy and convert it into something positive...even if in the moment you are still depressed. That's when it's the hardest. The second I got scammed on kkf, I was like ok giveaway number 2 is happening.

You just have to remember you aren't going to please everyone, all the time (this is coming from a people pleaser) Funny enough, some of the guys who were dogging on me before have become kind acquaintances. That didn't happen right away, I even had some of them blocked because just seeing them post was making me angry and hurt. I realized after stepping back a bit that there were times I have probably been equally as harsh to people who probably didn't deserve it. I think after just letting the dust settle, people realized I was just a guy who liked knives like most on here, and at the same time, I stopped demonizing the guys who were calling me out.

At the end of the day, I'm not saying we will be able to get along with everyone on here and have great relationships across the board, but I think a lot does come from just taking a chill, letting things be how they are, and just being you. The rest will fall back into place, you will naturally attract people that will want to interact with you, and repel those who don't want to associate with you

It seems that we have come to that point where I need to conclude this with my deep thoughts:

1. I feel deeply embarrassed that I find this entire exchange Interesting to read. We all need to get back to the real world.

2. I am the worst.

3. I don’t know how to pronounce bico doce or what that means. So when I see that handle, I just say bocce ball. Bocce ball is clearly a cyber bully. Who knew? I bet he’s never been called that in his whole entire life.

4. All forum members from Canada need to be banned. Like remember when that ethomas guy killed someone with a natural stone and was banned by that mathais guy for two days. I think some banning is in order.

Thank you.

Last edited:
This owl fellow is like the guy or relative that comes to Thanksgiving and you have to walk on eggshells around them Because they are unhinged and anything you say is going to upset them.

I’d like to think that when someone writes a long post explaining that their KKF relationships mean a lot to them, and when that person hasn’t done anything wrong, we could just appreciate them and their honesty and transparency.

——

I’m not sure if you meant this whole post sarcastically, as it’s all kind of ridiculous, but I’m especially rankled by the above, since it’s mocking someone who was just sharing something vulnerable.

Last edited:
It seems that we have come to that point where I need to conclude this with my deep thoughts:

1. I feel deeply embarrassed that I find this entire exchange Interesting to read. We all need to get back to the real world.

2. This owl fellow is like the guy or relative that comes to Thanksgiving and you have to walk on eggshells around them Because they are unhinged and anything you say is going to upset them.

3. I don’t know how to pronounce bico doce or what that means. So when I see that handle, I just say bocce ball. Bocce ball is clearly a cyber bully. Who knew? I bet he’s never been called that in his whole entire life.

4. All forum members from Canada need to be banned. Like remember when that ethomas guy killed someone with a natural stone and was banned by that mathais guy for two days. I think some banning is in order.

Thank you.
You sound like an absolute prick.

Back