Flipper alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cmp2-mrf.jpg

This thread is hilarious. Fwiw, for the people above accusing the lynch mob of beating a dead horse or whatever, I think it’s worth noting that there are probably as many responses from checkpure and the Defenders of Flipping above. The conversation kept going on because it didn’t seem like he was hearing the argument. There’s been a minimal amount of name calling and personal insults here (perhaps not none, though), just people debating whether a specific action was kosher or not. Whatever, let’s all have a beer!

And there was some f**king joker proclaiming some bulls*it about the glory of hexagons. F**k hexagons. 😡🤬🤬😡

Why is it that the same people complaining about the quality of the discourse are just trying to turn this thread into a meme and think that is a better alternative?

Man this whole thing is stupid, if one does it repeatedly, they are a flipper, if it happens once, no foul, THE END.
Flipping is flipping, once, twice what does it matter? Three knives were flipped, at what point is it ok to point out that knives were flipped? Instead of trying to explain it and be all upset, own it or don’t do it. It is silly to first do it and then try to explain it away as ok if you don’t feel it is. If you don’t think you did anything wrong then what is the problem? This thread is to call out flipping, this was flipping regardless of the reasons behind it. Sounds like some of you guys want to be able to flip knives, but for everyone to be ok with it because you are great people and you lost money somewhere else. It is not the job of the community to make you whole.

It's funny. He's trying to justify his gain because he lost money on other things :LOL: I don't think that counts.

Mod hat off.

Everytime there is a new flipper concern the new pages break out. My two thots on the subject, It's all about intent - If a purchaser buys with the intent of making a profit on this forum, then it's flipping and IMO poor form. If a person buys and then decides to resell (for whatever reason) and his price reflects market value then no harm, no foul. When in doubt, give benefit of doubt.

An example of first is in the pre-covid days, Korin would have a Suisin sale in the fall with high end, $800ish single bevels selling for $200. Couple of our members would hit the weekend and by Monday would have listed the knives on here for $600. Flipping. I was interested in a particular yanagiba and after some queries here found someone who was going to attend the sale and he graciously agreed to purchase the knife for me and send it. I still have the knife (a beauty) but if I were to sell it I would probably list it for more than what I have in it.

2nd thot, It ain't flipped until it's sold.

@Checkpure I am surely no expert, but from I have understood from the postings, what you did was indeed flipping. People trying to place parameters around the term, in my opinion, is pretty futile. It has to be taken situation by situation and then looked at in its entirety.

For example, if you'd bought the knives cheap and a few months later sold them at a mark up, some might find it unsavory but it would not likely be as alarming. You got them cheap and sold them individually, at a decent profit, within days. That just wreaks of flipping. If you said something like, "hey guys, I got these at good deal but need to make a little profit on them but still want to give back by selling them at..." that might have helped with some but either way, it was flipping. You can't justify it away with past losses or other good deeds. In this instance, it was flipping. You knew you were getting them cheap and if you didn't like them could make some money off them.

Now, the extent to which that pisses off each individual is up to them. You want to see people lose their freaking minds about flipping, dig into Spyderco sprints and GEC. Good grief. I come down with the crowd that believes that if people didn't pay the flippers, flippers wouldn't be a thing.

For sure, once you buy something, it is yours to do with as you please and sell at whatever price you can get. Each of us as individuals can decide for ourselves how we feel about that and let that inform our future selling and purchasing decisions. Threads like these allow for the scrutiny of these situations so people can have that information to make those decisions.

@Checkpure I am surely no expert, but from I have understood from the postings, what you did was indeed flipping. People trying to place parameters around the term, in my opinion, is pretty futile. It has to be taken situation by situation and then looked at in its entirety.

For example, if you'd bought the knives cheap and a few months later sold them at a mark up, some might find it unsavory but it would not likely be as alarming. You got them cheap and sold them individually, at a decent profit, within days. That just wreaks of flipping. If you said something, "hey guys, I got these at good deal but need to make a little profit on them but still want to give back by selling them at..." that might have helped with some but either way, it was flipping. You can't justify it away with past losses or other good deeds. In this instance, it was flipping. You knew you were getting them cheap and if you didn't like them could make some money off them.

Now, the extent to which that pisses off each individual is up to them. You want to see people lose their freaking minds about flipping, dig into Spyderco sprints and GEC. Good grief. I come down with the crowd that believes that if people didn't pay the flippers, flippers wouldn't be a thing.

For sure, once you buy something, it is yours to do with as you please and sell at whatever price you can get. Each of us as individuals can decide for ourselves how we feel about that and let that inform our future selling and purchasing decisions. Threads like these allow for the scrutiny of these situations so people can have that information to make those decisions.
Yea I get it. Appreciate the feedback but its all been said at this point. I sold them too fast so it heightened the flip. I just bought a knife for more than what someone paid for it under a month ago...I'm not worried...I don't care what someone sells a knife for after I sell it to them or what they paid for it prior to me buying it from them. All done hammering this home.

Back