For the love of cutting: a cut-vid thread for all

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have to learn more about steels soon. I'm still obsessed with getting my sharpening down haha.
Thank you. I'm learning to never trust what a knife says. It doesn't mean much. Too bad it's not known more so regular people looking for a carbon steel knife like the good Japanese kind didn't get fooled

Some words matter. Like the trade name of the steel: white 1, magnacut, vg-10, etc. These names tell you something about the composition at the very least. There can still be quite a bit of variability in heat treat and geometry, as always, will play the biggest role. But it tells you quite a bit more than "high carbon steel" which is just marketing. All knives are made of "high carbon steel."

Some words matter. Like the trade name of the steel: white 1, magnacut, vg-10, etc. These names tell you something about the composition at the very least. There can still be quite a bit of variability in heat treat and geometry, as always, will play the biggest role. But it tells you quite a bit more than "high carbon steel" which is just marketing. All knives are made of "high carbon steel."
Luckily I found this site. I would have fallen for some of those "high carbon" "carbon steel" scams

Ryusen Bontenunryu VG-10 300 mm gyuto. I think this belonged to a chef in Tokyo who was changing jobs. Looks like it was sharpened a few times before I got it so I did some minor thinning. Nice HT of VG-10, less gumminess and not even that bad to thin and the Damascus pattern makes it easier to blend thinning marks. Good distal taper makes it very nimble for a big knife and the tip is nice and thin. Grind has a strong right hand bias and the convexing from spine to edge is very even, I try to show it in the short video at the bottom. Food release is much better than expected and the edge holds up well on plastic boards.

This would even be better if the tip is skinner. I use 260-265 like this too. It really is my new favorite size for knives with a skinner front 1/3
How about thin tip AND heel?
PXL_20240428_182105400.jpg

Mazaki blue 2 gyuto. I did a wide bevel sharpening to get out the deep Mazaki scratches, but this is pretty close to the OOTB grind. Taper is excellent on this one, even for a Maz. I’ve had like 3 Mazakis from more recent batches including this one and the OOTB grinds are all pretty good, no chonkers. Smooth cutters with above average food release.

Back