Fredrik Spåre Impressions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting that there is so much emphasis on blade height in this thread. Yes it certainly is an important “comfort factor.”

However, IMHO, comfort with a taller blade height has a lot to do with the height of the cutting surface and the height of the person doing the cutting.

I have several Takeda knives which are notoriously tall. I find them uncomfortable for long sessions when using them on a thick board which is on top of a standard counter. But … when I use them on my 20”x 20” butcher block table which I lowered they are sweet!

I suppose a lot has to do with the arm motion, similar to how ones leg is supposed to extend when peddling a bike. (almost full extension but not quite “locked”)

As an experiment, try standing on some type of riser when ising a knife - WOW! You will be amazed at how different the height of the knife feels to you.

Yea, I know that is not a possibility in a kitchen setting but it is an interesting experiment at home. I’m about to get going on a kitchen remodel and we are considering a lowered section of countertop where we can put boards and cut at a lower height.

What I did not see much of in this thread is much discussion about blade geometry, i.e. how much belly there is for rocking vs push cutting: again a very personal issue. But, I bet most of use both rocking and push cutting at different rimes for different things.

The level of darkness depends on the steel. In this photo you can see the Kamon in 1.2519 turned battleship grey (dunked in Folgers, not Nescafé), while the Steele just below in 15n20 and 80crv2 turned jet black (dunked by Steele, not sure what coffee he used).

I was debating about dunking the Spare but ended up selling it to cover the bunka he’s making for me.

Interestingly that patina on the Kamon was removed with flitz before the dunk, but the etching brought it back.

View attachment 169283
What is that stunning middle knife? …please

Very interesting that there is so much emphasis on blade height in this thread. Yes it certainly is an important “comfort factor.”

However, IMHO, comfort with a taller blade height has a lot to do with the height of the cutting surface and the height of the person doing the cutting.

I have several Takeda knives which are notoriously tall. I find them uncomfortable for long sessions when using them on a thick board which is on top of a standard counter. But … when I use them on my 20”x 20” butcher block table which I lowered they are sweet!

I suppose a lot has to do with the arm motion, similar to how ones leg is supposed to extend when peddling a bike. (almost full extension but not quite “locked”)

As an experiment, try standing on some type of riser when ising a knife - WOW! You will be amazed at how different the height of the knife feels to you.

Yea, I know that is not a possibility in a kitchen setting but it is an interesting experiment at home. I’m about to get going on a kitchen remodel and we are considering a lowered section of countertop where we can put boards and cut at a lower height.

What I did not see much of in this thread is much discussion about blade geometry, i.e. how much belly there is for rocking vs push cutting: again a very personal issue. But, I bet most of use both rocking and push cutting at different rimes for different things.

Very true. My island counter where I prep is pretty high (custom cabinets), so I tend favor flatter profiles since my arm isn't angled down much to meet the board. I can see how tall folks with standard height counters would prefer a little more belly due to their arm angle.

When I really need to bear down and apply force I either take the task to my perimeter counter which is 2" lower, or to my dining table.

Missed out on this too. Picked the best time to be at work and unable to look at my phone. If it doesn’t jibe with anyone in the UK/EU I’d love to pick one up.

Requests where made for a more low profile KS style blade. Well this is what we have come up with. Available from 6pm CET 26/04/2022 tonight. Enjoy!

MCX

View attachment 176753

These are beautiful, but adding taper to the tang would have sent these to an utterly next level.

Love the clean aesthetics of the new drop, the first edition is really nice too. Will there be any changes?
I get pleasure from other peoples misery 🤣🙌
I had to go to BST to complete my collection with a version 1 batch 2 MCX. So long as you keep incrementally changing something with each batch, this knife addict will keep buying.

Last edited:
I dunno, between 70 hour work weeks and a 2 1/2 year old, I can't tell my head from my ass most of the time. It's like my work emails... I start the email, something else comes up and once I circle back to the original message I have no idea where I was going. :)
Lol no worries.

Ive used coffee and hot orange juice several times. The one thing to keep in mind, and I suspect this is why cheaper coffee or instant coffee is recommended, is that any oils will reduce or cause a blotchy result. Coffee naturally has oil in it and so I believe that is why instant coffee or cheaper coffee tends to get a better results as it likely has less oils.

For me the result with the hot OJ was pretty decent and it certainly does not have any substantial oils.
Got a knife from Adonis Forged (Brazilian Art Deco on his website). He used the OJ method in lieu of the instant coffee and it turned out great.

Love the clean aesthetics of the new drop, the first edition is really nice too. Will there be any changes?

So, the blade will be exactly the same as 1st edition second batch. The one with the deeper hammer marks in the forged finish. The main changes will be in the handle, which will be a similar profile to the one on this edition.

Great to see the first edition coming around for a second go, it's a winner in my book.

Have you and Fredrik considered a non-honyaki batch, maybe 52100 or Damascus?

We have toyed with the idea and we are looking at doing something in the new Apex Ultra steel later this year. I am not sure if that will be Honyaki or just the forged finish or....???

Any suggestions?

I had to go to BST to complete my collection with a version 1 batch 2 MCX. So long as you keep incrementally changing something with each batch, this knife addict will keep buying.

🙌 Its appreciated and we will certainly try to keep it interesting :)

Got a knife from Adonis Forged (Brazilian Art Deco on his website). He used the OJ method in lieu of the instant coffee and it turned out great.

Yeah, Antoine is a legend and really knows his stuff. Eyes peeled we are getting something from him soon and its going to be something very unique. He tells me he is trying something completely new!

thinner tangs would have been nice, but we would have run into balance issues so 🤷‍♂️

Then more taper is the answer.

Every Zwilling Kramer I've held (8" carbon, 10" carbon and 10" stainless) had a tapered tang and balanced perfectly at the pinch. I have heard this is not the case for everyone though.

20220427_072201.jpg

Then more taper is the answer.

Every Zwilling Kramer I've held (8" carbon, 10" carbon and 10" stainless) had a tapered tang and balanced perfectly at the pinch. I have heard this is not the case for everyone though.

View attachment 176857

Oooo, I haven't seen one done like that before, but it makes a lot of sense and looks very cool. Is it mainly the visual element that you like or is there some other performance related reason for this?

Oooo, I haven't seen one done like that before, but it makes a lot of sense and looks very cool. Is it mainly the visual element that you like or is there some other performance related reason for this?
Also it will of course make the blade less heavy. But you might have to play with taper to balance it properly. Also shows handiness of the maker to make it as even as possible.
Jonas Isasmedjan also does it.

Back