Fredrik Spåre Impressions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did you use for etching? I was thinking about doing a coffee soak on mine.

I tried to hack together an acid solution using Bar Keepers friend in hot water. BKF is pretty acidic as I've found out in the past. It did an ok job of an etch but I've done better before using hot vinegar. However today I was short on vinegar.

What did you use for etching? I was thinking about doing a coffee soak on mine.

IMG_6326.JPG

I posted this on a thread from @marc4pt0 but I just thought I would re-post this here for reference. This is hot OJ for those that want an easy, at home option, but Marc also got a great result using a ferric/water solution. The key thing is that you don't want it to be too harsh, hence the OJ could be the best option as you would need to get the ferric dilution correct to get the desired result.

Also make sure to remove any oil from the blade before you etch and if you have used your knife a bit make sure to give the knife a good polish before also.

View attachment 167775

I posted this on a thread from @marc4pt0 but I just thought I would re-post this here for reference. This is hot OJ for those that want an easy, at home option, but Marc also got a great result using a ferric/water solution. The key thing is that you don't want it to be too harsh, hence the OJ could be the best option as you would need to get the ferric dilution correct to get the desired result.

Also make sure to remove any oil from the blade before you etch and if you have used your knife a bit make sure to give the knife a good polish before also.
Any date on the new batch? Looking forward to the changes.

Any date on the new batch? Looking forward to the changes.

This week if all goes to plan. Fredrik is shipping me the knives today and I hope to have them released before the end of the week. This time round I will send a newsletter with a release date and time. That way everyone will have a chance to get one of the knives.

Hey folks,

Happy to see these are finally arriving and thanks for the initial feedback. I am glad to hear that the vacuum bags have saved at least one disaster.

About the balance point, noted and thank you for that info. I am guessing our adjustments to the choil spacing may have resulted in this.

Will feature a slightly thicker and more aggressively tapered spine. I suspect that this will resolve this.

Looking forward to hearing more as you guys get to play with them.

Also, interested in how you guys are finding the 26c3 steel?

Personally, I gave mine a sharpen and a polish recently and the patina is developing beautifully. It's easy to sharpen and takes an amazingly sharp edge. Next to some amazing German tool steels and a selection of awesome Japanese stuff the 26c3 is quickly becoming one of my favourites.
Really want to pick one up on the next drop! Do we have a date? I am told it was this week? Sorry I just found this thread…

Almost there... Seems like it is lighter and the hardness is tuned down a little bit.
https://moderncooking.com/mcx-k-tip-gyuto-230mm-26c3-limited-release-by-fredrik-spare-2nd-edition/

Dialing down the hardness is probably a good idea, the original batch's steel feels pretty at the limit. A couple other changes as well, if the stats shown are accurate: about 3-4mm taller at the heel, less taper to the tip (1.7 vs 1mm 2cm out), and perhaps a little more curve in the profile.

@Luxusborg and everyone else who managed to snatch one of the 2nd edition blades, thank you very much for your on going support. Unbelievable how fast this batch sold, Fredrik and I are very humbled and proud of the series.

Next MCX Fredrik Spåre drop will be in April, it won't be a Gyuto, but we will certainly follow that drop with more Gyutos in May.

Also, while you bunka down and wait for that drop you may see an MCX Martin Huber Gyuto. For those that don't know Martins work, he is the unofficial San Mai king of Europe (a title I have given him). Check this out for reference
😉👍

Why so tall? Will we ever see a return of a 50mm-ish KS profile? :)

Have to agree with @Bear on this.

We have the Masamoto KS 240mm Gyuto. It's there, It's great value and in a great steel.

We could naturally copy it and dress it up with our MCX Honyaki, forged finish, but honestly I wouldn't feel like I am contributing something unique there.

The MCX Gyuto already borrows features from the KS, but in addition adds a more aggressive distal taper and the taller blade height. I think this makes MCX a pretty unique knife in its own right and l find the taller blade height means that it is possible to deliver a far more high performance geometry as we can thin the blade substantially more towards the edge, while maintaining the thicker more ridged spine above the heel. The height also adds more knuckle clearance and really overall it doesn't subtract from the ergonomics of the knife imho.

@Jovidah out of interest is it just a personally preference for you or do you think there is a practical benefit to the lower profile?

One option we could consider is a shorter blade (200mm) with a 50+/- blade height. This would allow us to maintain our geometry. I am not sure if this would be of interest?

Back