FREEHAND vs. SHARPENING SYSTEM

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Worksharp Ken Onion works for me. I have 30 sharp kitchen knives all the time with very little effort.

I would think those are some pretty big grinders for home use $$$ especially if you are doing 10 and 12 inch knives.

I would guess that basically everyone who has a big grinder is using it for something more than sharpening and thinning their own knives. Most people just have stones.

I have a grinder and a commercial polisher. I only use my grinder for grinding steel and I keep a wire wheel on 1 side to clean rust off. My grinding wheel is too coarse to touch it to a knife.

There are many reason why I prefer freehand sharpening. I enjoy learning and doing freehand sharpening. Sharpening systems kill all the fun. Freehand is compatible with every blade I own including straight razor, single bevel kitchen knives, planes, chisels, scissor, scandi grind puukko knives, convex bevels etc. Big whetstones for freehand wear really slowly. The water and slur on a whetsrone absorbs all the particles that are removed from the blade. No need to worry about inhaling metal particles.

Back