D. Martell Gallery - Re-Handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they all look good but that Mr. Itou is such an improvement to me.
anyway keep on keepin on its good to see you pumping these out.

I like the darker one to, but if these get darker with age(do they) i think the lighter one would age better. I do like some contrast in my handle materials, keeps me visually stimulated.

I like the darker one better also. Darker koa usually comes from an older tree or from a tree that grew at a higher altitude. Most likely also from the Big Island of Hawaii, koa from Maui or Oahu is often more on the lighter side. But, lf course, there are exceptions...

Only just saw the green one - does that glow in the dark? :wink:

Stefan

Both are great but this is one instance where I prefer the less expensive handle. Darker handle is more my style.

I like the darker one to, but if these get darker with age(do they) i think the lighter one would age better. I do like some contrast in my handle materials, keeps me visually stimulated.

It's funny how price point and grading don't always match people's tastes.

I like the darker one better also. Darker koa usually comes from an older tree or from a tree that grew at a higher altitude. Most likely also from the Big Island of Hawaii, koa from Maui or Oahu is often more on the lighter side. But, lf course, there are exceptions...

Thanks for the info Mr. Koa :wink: (yeah you are the expert here)

Only just saw the green one - does that glow in the dark? :wink:

Hell yeah! In fact, those pictures were shot at night time. :D

Here's a couple more rehandles freshly completed....

1. Teruyasu Fujiwara Santoku or Gyuto (?) - AZ Ironwood with copper/G10 spacers & a single copper/nickel silver mosaic pin

Converted from full tang to hidden tang, see THIS for details.
The spine/choil were also rounded and smoothed out.

2. Gesshin Ginga Sujihiki - Black Ash Burl with nickel silver pins

Note how the tang is wider at the top of the handle than at the bottom, nice challenge. :)

P1010008.JPG

P1010021.JPG

P1010022.JPG

P1010023.JPG

That fujiwara. The subtle details take it from high tier to god tier. I have one rehandled by adam marr and I thought that was epic but the spacers and little mosaic pin. Its like a hidden tang westren hattorichop, really epic.

That fujiwara. The subtle details take it from high tier to god tier. I have one rehandled by adam marr and I thought that was epic but the spacers and little mosaic pin. Its like a hidden tang westren hattorichop, really epic.

I'll take that! Thanks Evan :)

Is you re-handle list re-opened yet? :)

Nope, but, if you have a rehandle coupon then it's always open. You just have to wait forever.....

It's getting better though, only maybe 1/2 a yrs worth of rehandle work still waiting here. :scared4:

:( sometime next fall I want to get a damascus martell. I read somewhere long ago in a time long since forgotten there was a collaborative knife so awesome no one dares speak it's name. :viking: :knife: :pirate1: :knight: Probably ground like a takeda, you've fixed enough of them :wink:

:( sometime next fall I want to get a damascus martell. I read somewhere long ago in a time long since forgotten there was a collaborative knife so awesome no one dares speak it's name. :viking: :knife: :pirate1: :knight: Probably ground like a takeda, you've fixed enough of them :wink:

I remember that knife. Group buy?

Well there is a planned Martell set to be done in DT's bubble wrap and I even heard that mokume might get used too. :spiteful:

Well there is a planned Martell set to be done in DT's bubble wrap and I even heard that mokume might get used too. :spiteful:

DT bubblewrap and raindrop are my favorite patterns from him. With a nice s grind and a fun profile we could really have something there :p I saw some on cktg from randy and I almost bought it...... Jk still looked super nice though. If you have extra steel or want me to buy some if be game for spring. I'm cut off with knives until than. Limiting myself to one purchase per season.... Cause that'll last lol. Is the heat treat gonna be by hoss like last time? I kind of like the idea of that pass around. He did for aebl what ed Fowler/david lisch(hope I got those names right) did for 52100. Made it a real steel. Also pics when it goes down.

Today I bring you a rare older knife that belongs to my friend Ryan who's been waiting for a very long time to get this re-handled. The knife is a Hiromoto (solid) White #1 (?) that was made for a short run way back in the early KF days after being found by the maker after many years of them being long forgotten about.

These knives came with an extremely blocky metal bolster and pakkawood handle with poor fit 'n finish. A lot of these knives were rehandled right away as a result and this particular one was no exception.

The original handle maker had removed the bolster (which was only tacked on) and obviously had issues with getting the blade cleaned up where the bolster had sat so the handle was installed far up onto the blade yet there was still some pretty decent grind marks present in the blade. He also used the full (and very poorly shaped/ground) tang which turned out to be a mistake as the scales pulled away from it over time.

After talking with Ryan about all this we decided to go with a hidden tang. This would allow the handle to be mounted back in a more traditional position and would also remove the misshapen tang from the equation completely. I took the liberty, while the handle was off, to refinish the blade, rounding the spine and choil while I was at it.

Ryan likes weird stuff so he went with a green dyed box elder burl and highly streaked honey horn for the ferrule.

I'm hoping that Ryan likes the new configuration because he's not one to hold back his opinions to me. LOL :D

What do you folks think of it?

P1010009.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010015.JPG

P1010019.JPG

P1010024.JPG

Interesting story, a lot of history in this knife. I thought I had seen this one before, but it was an AS Santoku with a similar wood. The crazy dyed woods aren't my personal preference, but it still looks really nice.

Dave, I love that handle - the blonde ferrule fits so well. I need such a handle on one of my knives :)

Thanks Tanner & Matus :)

@Matus, I love the look of this type of ferrule too but you should know how crackilicious this can be. What appears to be character is actually flaws. Seems like the best looking stuff is the worst quality.

Dave, there always seems to be a catch - I am having a hard time not to parallel you last sentence on, ehm, ... you know ... ehm, can't really say that loud :D

I'm withholding judgement till I see it in person....I haven't seen it in so long I'm not sure it's real...lol....I'm sure it'll be worth the wait....thanks for suffering through yet another project of mine....I always have the most jacked up knives to fix...lol...ryan

I'm withholding judgement till I see it in person....I haven't seen it in so long I'm not sure it's real...lol....I'm sure it'll be worth the wait....thanks for suffering through yet another project of mine....I always have the most jacked up knives to fix...lol...ryan

Yeah your knives are always projects but that's OK, good practice for me. :D

Thanks for being so patient all this time though. Now I just have to get to your Martell knives and all those other rehandles and then you'll be set. :biggrin:

Yeah...finish up Ryan's stuff so I can send you a bunch of crap!

Somehow, you always manage to draw the best qualities out of the materials. I think it looks great.

Thanks Dave!

BTW, you're another one who always challenges me. :D

Latest posts

Back