D. Martell Gallery - Re-Handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Though I'm sure the pictures just can't do that handle justice. It had a lot of 3d holographic stuff going on in that redwood burl, really gorgeous piece. Great job Dave and thanks.

I know I'll be happy with the Tanaka as well. The choil on that bad boy was always sharp as a mother effer so it will be nice to have a comfy grip on it.

I'm sure my saute cook will be pleased as punch with the Hiromoto as well. Looks great and I'll bet it's nice and thin now.

Care to comment on the Tanaka's R2 core steel and Damascus cladding? There isn't a lot of info out there on either.

I was rather surprised by the sharp edges on the choil of my Tanaka petty, given the level of finish on the rest of the knife. The spine is nicely polished, but that heel area was horrible!

Those Tanaka spines and choils are super sharp - they need to be de-burred before use. :D

The Hiro is WAY thinner - you're saute cook should see a decent improvement.

And the wood on the Hattori handle is great - the pictures really look like dog poop compared to real life.

Nice work, as usual. That honesuki really looks great. Is that one of my maple pieces? I still haven't finished a blue one, yet, gotta get my act together...

Stefan

Nice work, as usual. That honesuki really looks great. Is that one of my maple pieces? I still haven't finished a blue one, yet, gotta get my act together...

Stefan

It's redwood burl that I got from Arizona Ironwood. They have a nice collection.

And yes, I do believe there was a blue handle for a certain person on the horizon somewhere...:poke1:

Stop poking me, Rick! :tease: Let's catch up and talk details this weekend.

Stefan

Cool. You can call me anytime you are free. I'll be at work, but will take a time out to chat for a bit.

And I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of these knives Dave. Hurry up stupid Post Office!@!

Gaaaahh! still not here yet! Tracking number says it left philadelphia almost 3 days ago! So it takes the postal service 3 days to make a 90 minute drive lol. Aaaannnd thats why theyre going out of business. :lol2:

Nope. He's not kidding. The Post Office in Jersey is the worst. They lost two of my knives for weeks. Finally they turned up...at my local post office, where they had been all along. Nobody had bothered to get off their lazy ass and just look.

:angry1:

Here is Ben's Kanemasa gyuto with it's new curly mango scales (wood courtesy of Mr. Stefan Keller's stock)

attachment.php

P1010006.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010003.jpg

p1010007.jpg

P1010008.jpg

Yaeeee... So prettyy... Cant wait to see in person :)

Thanks but I can't take the credit, the knife's owner sent them to me, he's got the good taste. :)

Glestain gyuto in Butch Harner's "maroon mycarta" with stainless pins. I think it's now well suited for it's role which is life on a Pacific island in a commercial kitchen.

Not my best work (some glue lines can be seen in person) but considering how bad this knife tried to kick my ass I'm actually happy that it came out as good as it did. I learned a lot on this rehandle, the most important thing being that I don't ever want to do another Glestain again. :)

attachment.php

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010011.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010021.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010009.jpg

those angles complicate things, do they?

No doubt, I would be curious to know how you perfectly fit the scale to the rounded bolster at the bottom too. By hand? My wife has a knife that she wants done, but I am hesitant because of the rounded bolster to tang fit.

Yeah guys this one sucked for the rounded parts but also for what you can't see and that's the rounded parts on the insides at the back plus the bolsters were uneven and they're angled making the top shorter than the bottom oh and also there was rust damage on the tang that I had to sand out. To fit the scales on the rounded parts I had to had file and sand and fit over and over and over and over and over again and still I couldn't get it perfect. This thing was a nightmare.

That's why I prefer making wooden sticks, much easier :)

Stefan

Back