GFDS (Ghetto Fabulous Diamond Stone) - is it possible?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My ramblings….. it probably best if you did something better with your time than read this.

I’ve been feeling board with sharpening lately. Two things: geometry and practice, practice, practice. Once you’ve nailed both of those, simply maintaining a sharp knife really becomes routine and mundane. As you practice and get better you can do this on really coarse fast stones - which you couldn’t do when you were a newbie. Then you just eventually leave a coarse stone next to the sink and kinda hope that your knife is dull enough to warrant some push-and-pull friction…. Noooope. Anyways…

So diamond plates a kinda the rage right now. Resin, vitrified, something, etc. But:
1) is it possible to make a diamond stone yourself
2) on the cheap
3) that performes as well as a much more expensive diamond stone
????
4) almost forgot, and it has to be 8”x3” because that’s what men use
?
?

So let’s say we take a common and cheap stone, for example like the Norton Crystalon Combo Coarse / Fine. This runs about $28 on Amazon.

Then you would want to remove all the oil from it. Bake it or put it outside in the sun. After that you would soak it in food-grade acetone or toluene or some kind of thinner. Let’s say this costs $5.

I would want to impregnate it with a hard resin that is mixed with diamond powder. Let’s say 5g of 60 micron on the coarse side and 5g of 3 micron on the fine side. The diamond powder is $15 each and the resin is $10. Now we are up to $73.

I would also consider adding in some Teflon powder to help reduce friction and gumming up. That’s $15 which brings the total to $88. Wow! Look at how much money we are saving!!!

So this would also be a double-sided stone so I can’t even calculate how much money you would be saving. It’s basically impossible.

Any thoughts on this? Do you think it might work?

Let’s discuss!

A handful of people have tried and they all sucked, iirc. Diamonds clump *and* sink so distribution and mix are a pitd. Even Venev have had issues. Best of luck if you choose to go through with it 😀

A handful of people have tried and they all sucked, iirc. Diamonds clump *and* sink so distribution and mix are a pitd. Even Venev have had issues. Best of luck if you choose to go through with it 😀
Yea i figured the diamond distribution is the hardest part. I think the cost effectiveness of a venev is realllly hard to beat.

Not saying it is the best diamond stone out there, but for home use its probably all people really need.

Yea i figured the diamond distribution is the hardest part. I think the cost effectiveness of a venev is realllly hard to beat.

Not saying it is the best diamond stone out there, but for home use its probably all people really need.
Best is... Poltava? Whatever Larrin Thomas and collaborators decided to use for the CATRA experiments, lol. Might as well go metallic CBN if we're going this route.

Even without the diamond part, making your own stones is really tricky, to judge by the reports from people who have done it. I imagine it could be a great obsession, if you are inclined that way. But it doesn't seem like territory for dabblers.

Yeah, if you search around, cgsw has a wealth of experience on this. Kyoto or KKFs "Dr. Knives" too.
Am quite interested in these CGSW stones but hard to find information on them. Very affordable compared to FSK/NSK.

Here you go:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/anyone-else-make-their-own-resin-bonded-stones.1871118/
By the way, user: Diemaker is the guy behind the edgepro and https://cgsw.us/ diamond resin stones.

I was hoping a human search engine would provide the goods and you delivered!
That is a great great thread. Still reading it.
Sodium Silicate was not on my radar or vocabulary.

One difference between that thread and what I am thinking is that I would start with a premade alox or sic stone and then impregnate it with a diamond powder and binder. (I’m lazy.) I think this brings the difficulty down A LOT while reducing some trial and error of making a whole stone from scratch.

A couple of thoughts and questions in my head….

1) What grit or grits am I aiming for??? On the coarse side, something very coarse. I have a DMT Diaflat-95 which has 95 micron diamonds. Something in this range would be interesting and revealing to whether it is effective or not.

2) On the other end of the spectrum, I (want to) like the DMT EEF plate which has 3 micron diamonds. These quickly fall out of the plate and it becomes worthless. However, this plate is super fast - while it lasts. An additional thought, should this be pushed even higher? Is there any benefit or effect by going to a 1 micron or 0.25 micron?

3) With the assumption that a pre-made stone will be used as the base, what stones would be ideal candidates?

Just some questions rolling around in my head….

I was hoping a human search engine would provide the goods and you delivered!
That is a great great thread. Still reading it.
Sodium Silicate was not on my radar or vocabulary.

One difference between that thread and what I am thinking is that I would start with a premade alox or sic stone and then impregnate it with a diamond powder and binder. (I’m lazy.) I think this brings the difficulty down A LOT while reducing some trial and error of making a whole stone from scratch.

A couple of thoughts and questions in my head….

1) What grit or grits am I aiming for??? On the coarse side, something very coarse. I have a DMT Diaflat-95 which has 95 micron diamonds. Something in this range would be interesting and revealing to whether it is effective or not.

2) On the other end of the spectrum, I (want to) like the DMT EEF plate which has 3 micron diamonds. These quickly fall out of the plate and it becomes worthless. However, this plate is super fast - while it lasts. An additional thought, should this be pushed even higher? Is there any benefit or effect by going to a 1 micron or 0.25 micron?

3) With the assumption that a pre-made stone will be used as the base, what stones would be ideal candidates?

Just some questions rolling around in my head….
How would you achieve this? Stabilized wood and stuff like that are done under vacuum, right?

How would you achieve this? Stabilized wood and stuff like that are done under vacuum, right?

I am thinking of two potential methods:

1) Diamond powder mixed in a thick resin epoxy. Pour it on a porous stone and force it in with a plastic scraper. Keep scraping and pushing it in until it hardens.

2) Sprinkle dry diamond powder on top of a porous stone. Brush on or spray on sodium silicate.

I would guess that the stone needs to be clean, oil-free, and have an open matrix with lots of space between the particles. Splash—and-go stones would not work. Micron size of the diamonds should be smaller than the micron size of the stone to allow the diamonds to fall into the cracks.

Back