Has the Tojiro DP handle material changed?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafox

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying one again. The one that I had a couple if years ago was stamina wood, I belive that's the same thing as pakka wood? The new one is listed as black micarta. Additionally, is the Fujitora Saku the same knife made for the Japanese market? Anyone know what handle material it has? Thanks

I've never seen they say Micarta in Japan. Their handles for the DP series have been made by "reinforced laminated material/wood" (they use both material and wood) for long time till now, which probably you can call pakka wood. They don't use Stamina Wood in Japan either. Wood Micarta could be same as pakka wood if you ignore the precise definition and its maker.

Fujitora is their second brand used for their secondary sales channel. They has been trying to make Tojiro brand more premium/quality and sell knives at shops with stronger connection for better support and price control. Fujitora is for shops who anyway sell whatever knives for cheaper prices. However, actual knives are basically same, according to Amazon reviews.

Their company name used to be Fujitora after the name of the founder, but they changed their name to Tojiro in 2015.

Last edited:
Has to do with chemical sensitivities.

My sense is that the "generic definitions" of these items are too imprecise to give you specifics about the chemistry involved.

Today Micarta high pressure industrial laminates are produced with a wide variety of resins and fibers. The term has been used generically for most resin impregnated fibre compounds. Common uses of modern high pressure laminates are as electrical insulators, printed circuit board substrates, and knife handles.

My sense is that the "generic definitions" of these items are too imprecise to give you specifics about the chemistry involved.
Yes, I think you're right. I was ok with the older formulation, trying to determine if the handle material has remained the same or if it has changed.

I actually liked the one I had, got a nice toothy edge. I like every day knives to go along with my nicer ones.

I hear you! I have the DP and the PRO. Thought about selling them, but I really can’t. They are very very nice. Good profiles, weight, ok grinds and not too expensive. [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

Unless you have a very specific allergy, it would seem unlikely that any plastic or resin that is used for knife handles would trigger it. The whole point of these materials is that they are inert, water resistant, and won't give up the ghost when put into a dishwasher.

Unless you have a very specific allergy, it would seem unlikely that any plastic or resin that is used for knife handles would trigger it. The whole point of these materials is that they are inert, water resistant, and won't give up the ghost when put into a dishwasher.
It's not an alergy, it is a chemical intolerance and for me it includes many plastics, resins, wood finishes, and glues. I've been at this for 10 years now. I'm fine with pakka wood and wa unfinished wood handles that have been burned on and sealed with bees wax.

It's not an alergy, it is a chemical intolerance and for me it includes many plastics, resins, wood finishes, and glues. I've been at this for 10 years now. I'm fine with pakka wood and wa unfinished wood handles that have been burned on and sealed with bees wax.

Sounds like a good excuse to splurge on custom handles!

James from K+S contacted Tojiro for me, and says,
"Heard back from Tojiro, that there was no change for the DP line for at least 5 years. The last change was probably 8 years ago."
Thanks, James

Last edited:
Back