Hasegawa alternatives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labor of love

Denka Mystery Cult Adherent
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
My work Hasegawa is warped to the point where I no longer enjoy using it and it’s starting to affect my prep. Looking to pick up a new board for work. Love me some Hasegawa but I’m open to what else is out there. I’ve heard rumblings from time to time about other rubber boards some guys prefer over Hasegawa. I’m guessing some of the Asahi offerings? Anyways curious to know what some people prefer over Hasegawa and why.
Thanks.

How big is your Hasegawa board?
I've heard it's possible to straighten the board, but I haven't tried it myself.
I found this here in another thread.
hasegawa.jpg

If your board is rather large, I would try using warm/hot water to heat the board up.

I really like Asahi, but they are much, much heavier than Hasegawa. If you have to schlep from one place to another, or even just drag them over to the sink to clean repeatedly, I would stick with Hasegawa

I really like Asahi, but they are much, much heavier than Hasegawa. If you have to schlep from one place to another, or even just drag them over to the sink to clean repeatedly, I would stick with Hasegawa
Nah this would be for work. I’d just run it through the dish machine.
Which Asahi?

Wasn't Hasegawa's whole marketing point that they have the wood core to prevent warping?

Wasn't Hasegawa's whole marketing point that they have the wood core to prevent warping?
That’s what I thought but I could be wrong.
Now the one that warped pretty bad is a small board. I have a much larger board that’s just fine and they were purchased around the same time.
Perhaps board thickness has alot to do with it

I don't get the abundance of speed chopping onion videos, there is sh1t everywhere and the pieces look like ass. this doesn't help with showing how a knife performs. rather just looks like 'look how fast I can do this!'
Depending on the ass, that could be enchanting.

I’m a big fan of the Hasagawa for the same reasons mentioned, but it does have some draw backs as mentioned.

I have switched over to the Parker Asahi Black Pro Large 450mm x 250mm x 13mm 1.85kg. The board is incredibly unique in this case it’s a combination of rubber and wood powder.

I have 10 of the boards coming in next week and will work on a video and some pictures for my shop.

Is there a difference in surface between the different Parker Asahi colored boards?
They have a cheaper line with just plastic and no wood infusion.

Then there's the home use line, thinner and smaller.

Then it's the pro line with no antibacterial treatment.

The highest tier is the one with antibacterial treatment.

The pro line has 15mm, 20mm and 30mm. The 30mm one was far too heavy for my liking so I opted for the 20mm. Feed back is fantastic and super sturdy, doesn't feel like it'll warp at all, but again I've only used it for a year, so I guess too soon to tell. The other good thing about this board is you can sand it down and it'll become new again. So the thicker the board is, the longer the lifespan will be.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unlike the hasagawa, I don't think it can go into the dishwasher tho.

Last edited:
They have a cheaper line with just plastic and no wood infusion.

Then there's the home use line, thinner and smaller.

Then it's the pro line with no antibacterial treatment.

The highest tier is the one with antibacterial treatment.

The pro line has 15mm, 20mm and 30mm. The 30mm one was far too heavy for my liking so I opted for the 20mm. Feed back is fantastic and super sturdy, doesn't feel like it'll warp at all, but again I've only used it for a year, so I guess too soon to tell. The other good thing about this board is you can sand it down and it'll become new again. So the thicker the board is, the longer the lifespan will be.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unlike the hasagawa, I don't think it can go into the dishwasher tho.
Additionally, there’s the line of black cutting boards that @ReiHamono mentioned above. They’re not just for show if you have customers in front of you, but have a different composition and feel than the yellow pro line. A bit less friction of the rubber and more wood-like. I like them a bit better than the yellow pro line but they’re more expensive and they come only in two sizes as far as I know.

I’m a big fan of the Hasagawa for the same reasons mentioned, but it does have some draw backs as mentioned.

I have switched over to the Parker Asahi Black Pro Large 450mm x 250mm x 13mm 1.85kg. The board is incredibly unique in this case it’s a combination of rubber and wood powder.

I have 10 of the boards coming in next week and will work on a video and some pictures for my shop.
Looking forward to the video!

I've had to "unwarp" my Hasagawa a couple times, usually because someone used it, dw it and then left it leaning in a rack. I just run it through my low temp dish, flat on top of a rack, then remove it and lay it flat. Don't even dry it. When I wash it I do pretty much the same thing.

Prefer it to my rubber boards that like to warp when yelled at.

I've had to "unwarp" my Hasagawa a couple times, usually because someone used it, dw it and then left it leaning in a rack. I just run it through my low temp dish, flat on top of a rack, then remove it and lay it flat. Don't even dry it. When I wash it I do pretty much the same thing.

Prefer it to my rubber boards that like to warp when yelled at.
Took a little inspiration from this. Got to work this morning at 7:30 and ran Hasegawa through the dish machine. Placed it in the window under the heat lamps for a couple of hours. Seems to be helping quite a bit so far.

Back