Heiji direct

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use the tip next time. KnS, JNS, Tosho... there are so many foreign retailers so this will add up. Even with the usual 1-3% foreign transaction fee it's still cheaper than PP conversion. I think in Q3 Discover card even has a 5% cash back when you check out via Paypal. And Discover also doesn't charge foreign transaction fee and it doesn't have an annual fee. Compared to PP conversion it's like a 8% off. Credit cards in US are super friendly to consumers.

Discover card is a 5% reward right now for PayPal transactions so, all my USD transactions on my credit card are through PayPal right now.

Has anyone asked Nakaya Heiji to provide a saya for his knives? I know that there are saya out there for these, but not sure if these are being produced by the vendors or by Heiji directly. If direct, what was the added price from Heiji for a made to fit saya? Thanks in advance!

I asked and that was what he replied to me :
"I can not make sayas. Because I don't have good material wood to make them."

I heard the same thing from Heiji in regards to getting a saya. I ended up getting leather sayas from Basement Leather. Stephane is a pastry chef instructor at CIA and does sayas on the side. Cheers.
61E91F31-ABDB-48FB-AD79-372217C821D2.jpeg
D3347CA3-56AE-4D5E-A6C1-36146A812D31.jpeg

I heard the same thing from Heiji in regards to getting a saya. I ended up getting leather sayas from Basement Leather. Stephane is a pastry chef instructor at CIA and does sayas on the side. Cheers.View attachment 145188View attachment 145189
I ain’t a saya guy but those look so good!
Hey, what’s the actual edge length on your 210? I was hoping to order a 240 (think it’s time for my 3rd inquiry through the website) but if they’re over 250, maybe a 210 is the go…

Agreed…thank you!

Don't let PayPal convert the currency for you. It's almost always the most expensive option. I usually just pay JPY or whatever foreign currency directly with my credit card in PayPal. My credit card doesn't charge foreign transaction fee and the exchange rate is always good. In this way there's no loss on currency conversion. For example, for 44100 yen a credit card should only charge $394 without fee rather than the $408 that Paypal will charge. Although most credit cards that don't charge foreign transaction fee come with an annual fee, there is a BofA Travel Reward Card that doesn't charge annual fee and doesn't charge foreign transaction fee. Hope it helps.

This thread makes me curios to try Heiji. Any one have tried to order the 240 gyuto Swedish? Or 180mm SS petty?

those 2 are my current interest.
I ordered a 270 mm gyuto and a 170 mm petty, both stainless

Came in 3-4 months. Once they communicated with me, they were highly responsive. Great experience, and for the price, can’t be beat

This thread makes me curios to try Heiji. Any one have tried to order the 240 gyuto Swedish? Or 180mm SS petty?

I ordered a Heiji Ikasaki semi-stainless 180 the other day I will get a short Yanagiba instead.
I don't know if the Yanagiba is thicker or if it's in reality the same?

You might want to take a look at the Kaeru options from JNS. The Kaeru Kasumi Stainless Gyuto 240mm is one I think is similar, is significantly cheaper, delivers pretty fast from the EU, and has a lot of favorable comments.

It isn't a Heiji though.

it's the Heiji 240 Swedish carbon gyuto that I am looking at? any idea how much it is? also for the petty is Semi Stainless one.

You might want to take a look at the Kaeru options from JNS. The Kaeru Kasumi Stainless Gyuto 240mm is one I think is similar, is significantly cheaper, delivers pretty fast from the EU, and has a lot of favorable comments.

It isn't a Heiji though.

Nah, I Kinda hate SLD. it's overrated steel. I was checking on Heiji Swedish carbon and hefty wide bevel.

Fairplay, Heiji is responsive to email about orders in progress. Followed up my suji order and the next day he replied with a tempting ‘would you like to see’ message

1638985583626.jpeg

Of course I wanted too see that!

Posted last week, so should be arriving anytime soon hopefully. Have started ordering even larger roast joints in preparation for Xmas…

I have been waiting almost a year for a gyuto and petty. Shipping issues, Japan Post not delivering to Canada for some reason. Private couriers are the only option but his quotes don't make sense, crazy high. If I lived 150km south, I'd have them by now 🙄

I have been waiting almost a year for a gyuto and petty. Shipping issues, Japan Post not delivering to Canada for some reason. Private couriers are the only option but his quotes don't make sense, crazy high. If I lived 150km south, I'd have them by now 🙄
maybe shipping by third party like zenmarket?

I don't know where you live in Canada but, I have been fortunate to have a Canadian help me in reverse with something that won't ship into the USA directly but, across the US/Canada border wasn't an issue.

I can pay it forward but, it is probably easier to find someone closer to the border where you live.

I don't know where you live in Canada but, I have been fortunate to have a Canadian help me in reverse with something that won't ship into the USA directly but, across the US/Canada border wasn't an issue.

I can pay it forward but, it is probably easier to find someone closer to the border where you live.
Good morning. Just seeing this. Toronto. That's very generous. But I will try to resolve it somehow on my own. I appreciate the offer!

Good morning. Just seeing this. Toronto. That's very generous. But I will try to resolve it somehow on my own. I appreciate the offer!
Best Wishes on getting this resolved.
Hopefully, after the Christmas and New Year's shipping dies down, mail to and from Japan will return to something more normal.

Funny - I just had a very similar email conversation and Heiji provided this photo of a 270 semi-stainless Gyuto in progress. I get the feeling that he enjoys providing these provocative photos to customers based this and others that I've seen. Or he has a file folder full of in-progress photos at the ready to fire off in response to customer emails. ;)

DSCN6546.JPG

Fairplay, Heiji is responsive to email about orders in progress. Followed up my suji order and the next day he replied with a tempting ‘would you like to see’ message

Funny - I just had a very similar email conversation and Heiji provided this photo of a 270 semi-stainless Gyuto in progress. I get the feeling that he enjoys providing these provocative photos to customers based this and others that I've seen. Or he has a file folder full of in-progress photos at the ready to fire off in response to customer emails. ;)

View attachment 155506

I‘ve enjoyed purchasing from Heiji direct. He’s blunt and clearly pretty inflexible, but there seems a sense of pride in his keenness to show off the work he does accept. And he’s a bit of a tease too - check out this beauty of a giftwrapped package that arrived in the middle of a (virtual) meeting I was hosting

1639479099282.jpeg

1639479129387.jpeg

Never expected an unboxing treat like that tbh. Couldn’t even bring myself to rip open recklessly in the coffee break, so will take the time to unwrap properly and enjoy later on. Actually a little impressed

PS:He may be a bit too proud and clear when it comes to the customs declaration mind. $115+ extra added - the joys of customs in the UK

I‘ve enjoyed purchasing from Heiji direct. He’s blunt and clearly pretty inflexible, but there seems a sense of pride in his keenness to show off the work he does accept. And he’s a bit of a tease too - check out this beauty of a giftwrapped package that arrived in the middle of a (virtual) meeting I was hosting

View attachment 155904

View attachment 155905

Never expected an unboxing treat like that tbh. Couldn’t even bring myself to rip open recklessly in the coffee break, so will take the time to unwrap properly and enjoy later on. Actually a little impressed

PS:He may be a bit too proud and clear when it comes to the customs declaration mind. $115+ extra added - the joys of customs in the UK
I'm waiting for mine too and should be here next month. Let us know your first impressions on the blade please.

View attachment 155904

View attachment 155905

Nice! I can't wait to get my order which got delayed to arrive late January or early February.

I'm waiting for mine too and should be here next month. Let us know your first impressions on the blade please.

Well I’ve got as far as carefully opening up the packaging and cooing appreciatIvely now. Photos to follow when the light gets better, but this thing looks good.

At a shade over 300mm and approaching 250grams it also feels gratifyingly purposeful. @daveb ‘s description of ’**** just splitting apart’ when it approaches seems apt, and a passing hobbit did pipe up to say ‘that sword may be a little too big for me, actually’

It’s passed a couple of thin paper slicing tests with aplomb and is eagerly awaiting more consequential testing, after which I’ll happily report back. Finish and grind look pretty good - better than I was expecting and more than comfortable enough in use for a suji.

That boneless rib roast for Xmas is in a world of trouble for sure.

Forgot to post in this thread, but finally remembering now.

I placed my order with Heiji-san on 7/23/21, asking for a 230mm KU Gyuto in his carbon steel and a 180mm KU K-Tip Petty in his semi-stainless. For the petty, he said he would have to forge out a 210 and cut it, would be extra. It was like $10-$20 dollars extra, so nothing big.

My order shipped out on 12/1/21 and I received them on 12/10/21. Here’s what I got:

243x55 (video says 56, but it’s actually 55), 254g

E6468556-4AEC-4FFE-9839-0B3AE596DD33.jpeg

185x35, 138g

9AD7A082-A812-4F5E-AA18-DB54D92FEB39.jpeg

My thoughts? Heiji-san was a pleasure to work with, and the work was delivered on time. The knives, though, are ROUGH. I was expecting bad fit and finish, but these babies need a lot of work. Some of the things I noticed that need to be done right off the bat:

1) Spine and choils need to be rounded on both.

2) Bevels seemed to have been left on like a 500 grit level, so they’ll need a working polish….okay, I guess they don’t need a polish, but they definitely deserve one.

3) Gyuto needs minor thinning, maybe just a blending of the bevels. The petty needs a complete overhaul, though. Right now, it’s so thick BTE, it can only function as an off-the-board slicer. Deep cuts into root veg steer to the right. Trying to figure out how to do this while maintaining the most KU I can. Here’s a quick video I shot to show the problem:

4) Petty is installed slightly tilted into the handle, as seen from the choil shot.

5) I would like to expose a bit more of the tang, so that my finger can fit into the choil.

Overall, I like the steel he works with, and yes, the price for both of these knives was on the cheaper side, but is it worth it? I’m still going to have to send these to a professional to work on since I don’t have the time plus I don’t have the tools to do this kind of heavy work, and that’ll cost a pretty penny. I have been debating just to say “f- it” and sell the knives as is, but I really do like how tall the gyuto is and the profile and weight on the petty. Decisions decisions...

Last edited:
Who/What holds the phone when you record?

Forgot to post in this thread, but finally remembering now.

I placed my order with Heiji-san on 7/23/21, asking for a 230mm KU Gyuto in his carbon steel and a 180mm KU K-Tip Petty in his semi-stainless. For the petty, he said he would have to forge out a 210 and cut it, would be extra. It was like $10-$20 dollars extra, so nothing big.

My order shipped out on 12/1/21 and I received them on 12/10/21. Here’s what I got:

243x55 (video says 56, but it’s actually 55), 254g

View attachment 156278
View attachment 156276

185x35, 138g

View attachment 156279
View attachment 156277

My thoughts? Heiji-san was a pleasure to work with, and the work was delivered on time. The knives, though, are ROUGH. I was expecting bad fit and finish, but these babies need a lot of work. Some of the things I noticed that need to be done right off the bat:

1) Spine and choils need to be rounded on both.

2) Bevels seemed to have been left on like a 500 grit level, so they’ll need a working polish….okay, I guess they don’t need a polish, but they definitely deserve one.

3) Gyuto needs minor thinning, maybe just a blending of the bevels. The petty needs a complete overhaul, though. Right now, it’s so thick BTE, it can only function as an off-the-board slicer. Deep cuts into root veg steer to the right. Trying to figure out how to do this while maintaining the most KU I can. Here’s a quick video I shot to show the problem:

View attachment 156281

4) Petty is installed slightly tilted into the handle, as seen from the choil shot.

5) I would like to expose a bit more of the tang, so that my finger can fit into the choil.

Overall, I like the steel he works with, and yes, the price for both of these knives was on the cheaper side, but is it worth it? I’m still going to have to send these to a professional to work on since I don’t have the time plus I don’t have the tools to do this kind of heavy work, and that’ll cost a pretty penny. I have been debating just to say “f- it” and sell the knives as is, but I really do like how tall the gyuto is and the profile and weight on the petty. Decisions decisions...

Back