Hello fellow knife (esp. nakiri) lovers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nakiri rectangle. Straight line. Easy think. Quick chop. Gyuto not straight. Too hard. Me not use.

Haha. I have a very small area to cook in and almost exclusively dice, julienne, and brunoise (no protein prep either). It does the job well.

I love Nakuri’s and just bought 4 of them in quick succession. But for dicing shallots and onions where there is more tip use, gyuto is better. But I just love Nakiri’s and can’t stop buying them

I always thought santokus were the ugly duckling after being so aggressively marketed to housewives 10, 20 years ago. What did nakiris do to anyone?
Oh don't worry, they are ridiculed also, even more. But nakiris have alot of passionate haters.

I love Nakuri’s and just bought 4 of them in quick succession. But for dicing shallots and onions where there is more tip use, gyuto is better. But I just love Nakiri’s and can’t stop buying them

If I'm going through a lot of onions I'd probably like one, but for an omlette or salsa I rarely use more than half an onion. Even for my weekly meal prep I only go through 3 onions tops. Plus with tiny counters and an 11x12 cutting board, I don't know if I could fit a nice 210 or 240.

If I wanted to do delicate tipwork I couldn't do with my nakiri, I'd be reaching for a petty over a gyuto I think. I don't think I'd have more control slicing garlic or shallots with the tip of a 240mm gyuto than a 150mm nakiri.

If the trade's a big flat spot, nice real estate for my claw hand knuckles, and more maneuverable length in exchange for the minor (IMO) inconvenience of losing a tip, I'd take it any day. I'm far from a pro, but I haven't really seen what I'm missing :p Nakiri gang 4 life

Long live the nakiri! Here is a 307 gm watanabe 210mm that I bought a couple of months ago
8DE62B94-3821-4A8B-BA28-137630380C62.jpeg
5F6E0DD7-6EC0-4177-950D-FD633A25E781.jpeg
5F6E0DD7-6EC0-4177-950D-FD633A25E781.jpeg

...boning a bird with a thin 120mm vegetable knife...

sounds like a ticket to chip city to me lolol

Right now he's using a Moritaka kawamuki 95mm; my wife requested he move up gradually. He's in like the <10th percentile as far as size goes, anyways. hashtag lollipop guild.

I mean if he can make it work, that's pretty cool. I like the added precision from shorter knives, I imagine if he's just breaking down chickens or quails or something, a sharp 95mm is more than enough to get the job done.

@RockyBasel sweet knife! How do you like the weight, balance, and length?

this knife is amazing in all respects.Folks on this forum told me that Watanabe makes the best Nakiri. Now I know why. It feels substantial but well balanced and completely practical in The hand. It looks stunning. Feels like someone made it with love and care. It just melts through anything you can throw at it. Can not recommend it enough- worth trying - it is on the expensive side as I got the special handle that I had to pay an arm and a leg for

I've always wanted to add a bigger nakiri to my collection. I was thinking between the Wat 180 (does he still sell the 210?) and the TF Denka 195 - maybe Toyama? I could buy a used (and pre-thinned) TF gyuto for around that price too.

I am a bit hesitant because I'm not sure if the thicker grind up top with a lot of the longer nakiris would preclude cutting smoothly through tubers. Might as well get a CCK at that point, no? That's what I tell myself and my wallet anyway...

In any case, that's a solid knife @RockyBasel. Slice and dice in good health 👍

Latest posts

Back