Help Identifying This Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's not it, but Toshu knives seem to do that heel relief (s-grind I think, so only on one side)
http://www.hamono-ft.jp/en/varieties.html

Good find! Agree same type of notch, but on a TF style choil. Apart from handle, the logo is clearly different.
Cool knife though, in powder steel too.
funmatu-210-600241.jpg

Last edited:
I started a paralell thread by mistake. The writing is a red herring. It just says "Powdered High Speed Steel". My colleague Koji has one like this. It is thicker at the spine than a Gyuto and has a severe right hand bias. It is basically a Western Mioroshi Deba. Unfortunately he does not remember where he got it from. This has been driving me nuts for YEARS.
Powdered Steel Knife Maker Unknown.png

Is it this blade (which is a double-bevel deba) but with the custom 6-pin micarta handle? The 6-pin micarta handle was listed as a custom option. The markings look very close, though bolster is squarer on hers... (but are on the left; maybe she has an earlier version?)
1619036182528.png

I just need to find the right words... something about “click this link...promise it’s not a scam...”

Any ideas?
I dunno--something specific to get attention?
"We've been trying to play detective on the kitchen knife forum, but nobody can figure out the maker. Please help us get closure. We're kitchen knife nerds."

I like the transparency!

Maybe I’ll lead with “Please read! I’m just a knife nerd!”

Actually, it would probably be better if we got the entire forum to message her... that doesn’t sound creepy.

I messaged her too - I got a response that she uses Masamoto knives. It's very possible this knife was just a loaner for the show.

They said she uses this knife specifically:
1619044272600.png

Yes, of course. I think it was one of her team who responded though. I asked again once they responded, clarifying that the Masa wasn't the correct knife, and got nothing back.

I dont know any brand with that logo either, so, my opinion here is that it is an aliexpress fancy knife, because:
-No one from the forum for now knows the brand or any brand that looks like that. That alone tells us a lot about the knowledge or existence about that brand.
-it is clear that those items are not from her, as she replied that she uses other brand. So, those are placed there for the show so some cheap but fancy knives are enough

Thats just my opinion, and we'll probably never find out...

Is it this blade (which is a double-bevel deba) but with the custom 6-pin micarta handle? The 6-pin micarta handle was listed as a custom option. The markings look very close, though bolster is squarer on hers... (but are on the left; maybe she has an earlier version?)
View attachment 123766
You had it right all along.

Last edited:
I am not 100% convinced that the mystery knife is a Sakai Ichimonji Mitsuhide.
For one Ichimonji puts writing on the left side of the blade. And while they do offer "custom" features like the pinned micarta handle and possibly that finger groove, the Logo just doesn't match in my eyes.
But, I could be off, maybe it's an older model.
I sent off a email to Ichimonji with photos so I'll report what they say. Provided they even respond of course. lol

I am not 100% convinced that the mystery knife is a Sakai Ichimonji Mitsuhide.
For one Ichimonji puts writing on the left side of the blade. And while they do offer "custom" features like the pinned micarta handle and possibly that finger groove, the Logo just doesn't match in my eyes.
But, I could be off, maybe it's an older model.
I sent off a email to Ichimonji with photos so I'll report what they say. Provided they even respond of course. lol
I hope you get a response.

I’m pretty convinced at this point that it’s one of theirs. The logo is very consistent, if not exact, with several of their versions throughout the site. Given that they have multiple versions of the logo, I think it’s even more likely. In addition, all the double bevel knives have the logo on the left but all the right-handed single bevel knives have the logo on the right side (level for left handed knives). If @ChefCosta is correct that it has an Edo-Togi grind, then it would make sense to have the logo on the right-side here.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to hearing their response. Keep us posted.

Back