Help Identifying This Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@ftermath

Reaction score
I’m watching the Niki Nakayama MasterClass and I can’t identify a western gyuto that she and her wife are using. Attached are two photos but the best look is in the video at 1:15.
12981423-BE04-4F7E-9167-1BFEB3628479.jpeg
DA32BCFB-F8E1-41EA-8DE5-B8F04D5F4762.jpeg

Does it look to you like the knife has an interesting semi-notch-like finger area at the choil? Like more of an indentation than a cut-out?

There are a few fairly distinctive things about it, with that notch plus the 6-pin micarta-looking handle... hope someone recognizes it easily, I'm clueless.

I'm guessing that the finger area being an indentation instead of a cutout means this is not a super-thin knife.

The Square looks more like a logo than Kanji.
And there seems to be writing, in Alphabet to the right of it.
Just guessing...I've seen clearer pictures of Bigfoot...lol
You’re correct, it is a logo with writing. There are other views throughout the video but none of them give you a completely clear shot. Their other knives are masamoto so I’m inclined to think the gyuto they feature most (there is another) is likely at least decent.

I am completely stumped. Apart from the Gesshin Ginga mentioned, I can only think of Sakai Ichinomon Mitsuhide and Hirotake as brands that offer pinned micarta. None of which match that knife.
My curiosity is piqued because that knife seems quite unique, the handle style with something of a palm swell, and that clearly deliberate notch in the choil, which could be be for the finger, but almost looks like a line cutter. I thought TF was the only one that did something to the choil. And finally, I could be mistaken but is that a tapered tang?
If I had Niki Nakamura's email I would ask directly.

Yeah, I’m really surprised someone hasn’t been able to say what this is. I did come across a couple of sakai takayuki knives with the notch but definitely not the same knife. Could be a rehandle but the rest of the knives didn’t give me the impression that was their thing. I do think it was likely Carole Iida’s knife. Niki seemed to reach for a more common western gyuto or one of the single bevels. Carole only used this one.

If that's a cutting edge, it seems to be in a risky position.
It’s not, I’ve come across several knives online now with it, including an Akifusa at EE. Still surprised nobody else can identify this.

I wondered whether it was one of the "close but no cigar" examples mentioned already, but in an earlier version - but if it was, someone would have recognized the logo.

It seems logical that all knives with this oddly distinctive handle would source their handle from the same place.

If that's a cutting edge, it seems to be in a risky position.

Yes, I only meant it "looks like" as in the same shape as line cutters found on some outdoor knives because it is scalloped. A grind not really needed for a finger rest. Not saying that's what it is.
But, as far as position goes, if a knifemaker were asked to put in a line cutter, I am not so sure that wouldn't be the spot. Depending on how you grip your knife, that position may not pose a problem.
The biggest issue with thinking about a line cutter is really, "why would anyone want a line cutter on a kitchen knife anyway?"
UnderwaterKinetics-FusilierBlade2_590x.jpg

FOFlamesteedOliveBurl5.jpg

I

Extrapolating from the original video made me think that the logo on the knife might have looked like this
My Sketches - 2021-03-09 18.09.59 2.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 9.55.33 PM.jpg

There seems to be three kanjis in the logo. Three lines of text can be seen to the right of the logo.

Maybe the logo might ring the bell for someone.

The first line of probably-alphabetic text appears to be six letters, and may have the same letter in positions 3 and 6 - those look similar. But the picture is blurry so this could be all wrong.

Extrapolating from the original video made me think that the logo on the knife might have looked like this View attachment 117491
View attachment 117492

There seems to be three kanjis in the logo. Three lines of text can be seen to the right of the logo.

Maybe the logo might ring the bell for someone.
Nice screen grab. My curiosity got the better of me and I asked Carole on Instagram like a stalker.

Thank you for taking the initiative to get an answer from Carole directly.
The more I look at this knife, particulary the logo and words, the less I think that it is made in Japan.
Might be proven wrong, but who knows....lol
logo.jpg

Thank you for taking the initiative to get an answer from Carole directly.
The more I look at this knife, particulary the logo and words, the less I think that it is made in Japan.
Might be proven wrong, but who knows....lol
View attachment 117517
All I can think about is which knife I should file a line cutter into.

All I can think about is which knife I should file a line cutter into.
In your second photo, the "edge" of the "line cutter" looks fat enough that it might not even cut through dirty water. :)

But again that could be an optical illusion from a blurry picture.

Also most line cutters are shaped to sort of guide the line into the throat of the cutter - however, this might be a deliberately different design due to its location.

In your second photo, the "edge" of the "line cutter" looks fat enough that it might not even cut through dirty water. :)
But again that could be an optical illusion from a blurry picture.
Also most line cutters are shaped to sort of guide the line into the throat of the cutter - however, this might be a deliberately different design due to its location.

I agree that from that thickness in the second photo, that "groove" is likely decorative rather than functional.
In fact, considering the unique handle shape and groove, if there weren't a logo and words on the blade I would
have first thought that this was a custom made knife,

Back