Help me choose my next knife!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imraan

Reaction score
Hello all!

I had posted an earlier version of this question a few days ago on reddit, and have since found KKF and joined. @Nemo prompted me in my intro post to cross post and ask for recommendations here as well. I've summarised and removed a fair bit of unnecessary blather from my previous post, as I have some emotional distance from certain events now.

So, here we go:

KNIFE TYPE
That's the rub...

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Need help deciding

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
300USD incl shipping, would prefer to be closer to 200USD

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home kitchen

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for?
Small to medium size home kitchen; cooking a wide variety of cuisine for 3 people in medium batches (6-8 portions at a time). General purpose: root veg and soft veg, fruit, untoasted soft bread, trimming raw and slicing cooked protein, soft cheeses, No carcass breakdown - have boning knife + beater knife.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Moritaka Ishime 240mm Blue 2 K-Tip

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
Push, Draw, Chop/Rock v occasionally.

What improvements do you want from your current knife?
It's mostly comfort and ease of use issues I'm having with the Moritaka and I'd rather sell than thin it. I've had good advice on my earlier post on reddit - likely from people on KKF - which has led me in a directon I'm happy with so I'm summarizing and incorporating that here to get more focused help.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board?

Yes, Wood and HDPE

Do you sharpen your own knives?

Sometimes - touch-ups for the most part, arthritis precludes heavier work.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives?
Maybe a Gesshin combo stone if I end up ordering from JKI and shipping is ok.

SUMMARY/COMMENTS:

Looks like I want a laser; something that will complement my CCK1302 for my daily tasks.

I'm trying to decide between:
1. Ikazuchi Gyuto // 1. Gesshin Ginga Gyuto
2. Shibata Kotetsu Type 3 AS Gyuto

I don't have any opportunity to try either of the JKI lines, so I'm looking for direct comparatives to the Shibata and anything else I can go test at Knifewear to help me make a more educated buying decision.

However, I've been feeling more and more like dropping the gyuto entirely and just getting a petty in one of the above lines, and using that and the cleaver exclusively. The Moritaka may never sell, in which case I just thin it and use the damn thing :) I feel a 210mm in any of the above would be a compromise that I'll end up regretting.

Knifewear is local to me, but I'm happy almost blind buying from JKI based on what I've read and seen online. Intnl returns are prohibitive, so I'd like to delve into the nuances a bit more before going ahead, not in a big rush to buy.

Help me not waste my money please!

I think I saw your post on Reddit. If I remember correctly, you have arthritis? Or an injury with your hand? Sorry if I'm wrong. Just asking because, are you looking for something with some weight to it and thin behind the edge, or would something lightweight be better suited to you?

Hi!

Yep you’re right - Arthirtis and tendinitis, both hands. Right is worse.
I can manage the CCK 1302 just fine for a couple quarts of mirepoix and such. The extra weight helps me exert less grip force and use less wrist rotation. That’s one of reasons I’m thinking to just go Petty+Chinese Slicer actually, I’d never used one before a week ago, and I’m a little bit in love right now. Feels like I got some of my knife skills back..

Feeling your pain there!

My thumb has mostly been spared, it’s the first and middle joints of my fingers and my wrist that are in a bad way.

I have no experience for you're situation, but it sounds like your idea is good. Petty, Takamura maybe, and Chinese Cleaver. Maybe a Suji also, depending on what foods you are working with.

Yep, it's feeling more and more like the wise decision.

I tried the Tak petty just now at knifewear and liked it quite a bit. Would prefer a wa petty though.

Don't need a Suji for the size and types of things I'm doing at home.

Jon said maybe Q1 of next year for Ikazuchi to get back in stock, I don't know if I'm patient enough! :)

Update in case anyone is following:

Went for a Tanaka Ginsan Nashiji 240mm from K&s, just opened it up and looking forward to putting it to work tomorrow onwards.

Back