Help me choose which handle, too many choices.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensbites

Reaction score
22D3F5EC-4B73-4592-AE88-9F306852F547.jpeg
Ok fellow KKFers. I have a Dao cleaver Bunka hybrid that has really grown on me since I thinned it. It is time for me to upgrade the handle from my stock. Originally I build the ringed gidee handle for this one, then I took a stab at trying the copper cap on stabilized ebonized oak. Now I can’t choose.

Copper cap for me, just feels like it would go well with that knife

I’d place each one on and do some test cuts. Whichever one that makes the most preferred balance point is the one I’d go with.
I like your logic, I also know that my preference on balance point are far lower priority than when I first got into Jknives. I think it is great advice for most people, just not here.

Additionally, this is a pretty heavy blade, there will be little difference on balance point.

The one on the left. Don’t worry about balance guys. Ben and I as handle makers both know how to compensate for that.

Copper cup, looks classy.

For me I would go with Craig’s suggestion since balance point is very important to me. With your preference and it being a heavy blade though you make excellent points too.

I kinda like the stock one¿

Both the new ones look nice but I'd choose the one on the left:)

I kinda like the stock one¿

Both the new ones look nice but I'd choose the one on the left:)

I bought this handleless. The handle you see on their was a “second”. A beautiful piece of box elder that was a little punky and split on me when I was finishing it up. I epoxyed that back together, then tried to experiment with waterproof finishes on this handle. The handle that is on there is too small and I don’t like the finish. Dyed wood can be stunning, just not my taste.

Wait until you see what I have planned for the dao bunka.

With a heavy blade, I wonder if thicker is better...

I like the right one as well. simple and rustic just like the knife. The cap still gives the elegant look. A bit of blingy

From an aesthetic viewpoint, something that complements the blade and cladding: minimalistic, maybe a bit rough. Otherwise good advice from "labor of love"

The middle handle seems a bit too elaborate for this blade. Too much going on, so to speak
The right have a rougher grain pattern that suits the blade well. The copper end cap somehow draws the eye (this would be personal preference)
The left one is more polished and stylish.
Maybe remove one of the handles, and take pictures of the blade with the two other handles. then compare side to side. it can also help to view the pictures a bit from a distance to gain some perspective.

You could also consider which handle would feel best with a heavy blade (for instance the left one looks more tapered and might give and edge here)

9C0D2B01-75D7-4715-A035-07414B512838.jpeg
Thanks for all the help. Between here, Reddit and my two Instagram accounts voting, it was close, very close. Since the copper cap is new to me, I went that route.

All three of these got new shoes this week.

Looks good, how does it feel, is it balancing the knife better?
Not a huge difference in balance. The first handle I put on was about 45-50 g. This handle (I am guessing) is 65-70 g. The blade is more like 225 g. It feels comfortable in the hand.

It looks good, I think the color of the handle compliments the Kurouchi finish of the knife. Did you just installed the handle with beeswax??

It looks good, I think the color of the handle compliments the Kurouchi finish of the knife. Did you just installed the handle with beeswax??

In this case I just used beeswax. Some of these, I could see myself selling off the blade or handle separately. I have several epoxyed handles, I also consider it useful to play with beeswax installs since clients like to do them on my handles.

In this case I just used beeswax. Some of these, I could see myself selling off the blade or handle separately. I have several epoxyed handles, I also consider it useful to play with beeswax installs since clients like to do them on my handles.
Which kind of beeswax do you use if I may ask, just any kind that you can find online like the kind on Amazon??

Which kind of beeswax do you use if I may ask, just any kind that you can find online like the kind on Amazon??
I assume any kind you can find will work. I like the smaller pellets. I can put about 1/4 cup of pellets in a small glass jar in the microwave for about 2 minutes and most of them are melted. I fill my handles, then let the rest cool. I have used the same jar for about two years, I just keep adding wax.

Prefer shorter and fatter handles for cleavers. Think you made the right choice. The one on the left might work as it is on the large size. The simple oak handle goes good with that rustic cleaver. The middle is a nice handle but not for that blade.

Back