help with moderate-budget daily workhorse

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think were gonna get into the "What does 'workhorse' mean to you" conversation.

As a home cook, Id argue middleweights are perfect daily workhorses.

Gesshin SS Heiji would be a particularly awesome knife to cover your needs. A high hardness, highly regarded (read: legendary) Semi Stainless Steel, 49mm for a 210 is rather tall. Although a bit out of your budget.

-Mowgs

I think were gonna get into the "What does 'workhorse' mean to you" conversation.

As a home cook, Id argue middleweights are perfect daily workhorses.

Gesshin SS Heiji would be a particularly awesome knife to cover your needs. A high hardness, highly regarded (read: legendary) Semi Stainless Steel, 49mm for a 210 is rather tall. Although a bit out of your budget.

-Mowgs

On the brittle side though

Hz ... thinking about it you’re right. While I like my Anryu’s very much you really can’t put them in the “workhouse” class. They’re very nice to use in a home kitchen but are really more middle weights.
Yea...the dramatic distal taper made the tip of Anryu fairly flexible. I feel like I can bend it with my fingers. The tip of my Anryu 240 is thinner and more flexible than my Shibata and Kono Fuji.

You could get a used Toyama 210mm Gyuto for that.

https://knivesandstones.us/collecti...2-stainless-clad-gyuto-210-mm-hammered-finish

Yoshimune Sanjo 210mm

• White #2
  • Stainless Clad
  • 210mm x 53mm
  • Fairly thin behind the edge.
  • Nice taper, really great tip.
  • I'd say food release is pretty good. The texture helps out a lot.
  • Plus, you get a sweet snakewood and blonde horn handle.

h1Z9ggE.jpg
Great knives. I have the 240mm and it is a tall solid workhorse grind. Spine is like 3-3.5 mm at the handle but has a solid thin grind at the edge. Steel takes a wicked edge and holds it adequately. I have had no chipping or other issues with mine. The stainless cladding is nice to keep the maintenance on the knife low. I got mine from Epicurean Edge and they advertise it as Shirogami #1.

One of my personal favourite knives. An Anryu Kurouchi Damascus Gyuto. Soft iron cladding over W2 core. Laser...ish with a f&f that supersedes the price. I hav 2-240’s. One for my travelling roll and one for my permanent block. The 240 prices out at $190. CK*G has a 210mm for $170. Can’t beat it for the price and as I prefer reactive blades it’s perfect for me as an everyday work horse.

View attachment 64072
Anryu makes beautiful knives! i have a Blue2 Nakiri, and its a superb example of workmanship!

Latest posts

Back