Holy ****...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wow, never thought I'd see this.

https://www.finedininglovers.com/article/kramer-pegasus-knife
Kramer_knives_Pegasus.jpg

I was speaking mainly from a blade smithing perspective.The rest is just marketing and promotion by mainstream characters like Bordain

Looks like Bob got himself a Businessy McBusinessman copywriter:

“We have pushed the boundaries of traditional bladesmithing to bring you our interpretation of a tessellation in steel while demonstrating the limits of forge welding to date. Escher’s mathematical inspired style has always captured our attention here at Kramer Knives. Our first all-metal knife was inspired by the Pegasus tessellation and was intricately engraved by Mastersmith Tom Ferry. The blade is made from high nickel and shop-made Damascus, hardened to 62 HRC. To complete the look, this knife comes with a museum quality display stand made from ebony.”

That is a sign of pretty significant success, even if it makes me want to throw up a bit.

As far as the knife itself goes, to me this misses the mark and I have a hard time seeing it as an artistic exercise. But, I have little doubt there's a buyer for this. I think more than enough people equate exclusivity with taste for someone to shell out for this.

I think Bourdain's knife at 230gs is a better value, personally. That one has some provenance, at least, even if it is ghoulish to pick over the man's corpse like that.

Possibly the ugliest knife I ever saw... and somewhat reminding very cheap Chinese knives sold by roaming peddlers, you know the ones in a cheap plastic sheath, written "Very sharp knife" on a sticker, and with a blade and handle patterned loudly and ugly as you wouldn't believe...

I actually dig the winged horsy pattern, and I am usually not a big fan of damascus in general.

50K is excessive for a knife, but I am not the targeted demographic here. Sadly.

Damascus can be beautiful, I don't think there's much denying that. Not to say "most beautiful". I myself am all for plain finishes with plain handles, find it sexier. When perusing the New Knife thread however I see a whole lot of amazingly beautiful Dammy.

It needs to be perceived as a piece of art, not a knife, really. Now whether you like that piece of art is a different and entirely subjective point. I don't, it makes my eyes hurt (I have general dislike for high contrast in damascus blades).

It isn't even a piece of art, in the true sense of aesthetically pleasing, or soul lifting... it's a piece of technique. For 50$ I wouldn't put this sh1t on display, so we're not speaking art. We're speaking someone that will buy it because Kramer made it with a unprecedented technique for a kitchen knife.

People think a Henckle International is a tremendous knife, and make controversy about toilet paper. If you don’t mind I’ll stick with the truer sense of Art. This is an astounding display of technique and craftsmanship. It’s also 10K worth of (ill) collection piece at best for 40K worth of recent hype around and actual selling of auction Kramers.

Back