Home butcher mystery boxes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone bought any of these at any price range? We’re you impressed with what you got?

I love a good surprise but I’m not sure about throwing $100+ away for nothing.

Apologies if this has been discussed before

I think I tried 175, 250, and 350, and yeah they have always been in the stated msrps of what is in the description. The more you spend the higher range of knives you can get of course. But remember it's all kind of gambling... I mean gambling if you will like the knife. But you will always get something with a greater msrp than what you pay at least.

Umm. It was an expensive one I'll just say that. You can always grab another? 🤣

Just wait and see how you like this turn out and you can always roll the dice again

I think I tried 175, 250, and 350, and yeah they have always been in the stated msrps of what is in the description. The more you spend the higher range of knives you can get of course. But remember it's all kind of gambling... I mean gambling if you will like the knife. But you will always get something with a greater msrp than what you pay at least.
the problem i have with these mystery boxes is exactly as you stated: gambling. spending that much money on something i have a high chance of not liking is wild to me.

lets use the listed 250$ box from the site for example. it's listed to have a value between 300-400$ so we'll say 350$ average. even if i lucked into something i wanted i've only saved on average 28.5%

they are constantly running coupon codes. even right now i can get 23% off any knife listed on the site. so i just took a massive risk to save ~5%. if i'm patient and wait, there are coupons and sales that stack and i can pick up a knife in a style i know i like at a much bigger discount.

edit: i'll leave this how i originally typed it because i forgot to factor in the code can also apply to the boxes. still fantastic deals can be had with considerably less risk.

the problem i have with these mystery boxes is exactly as you stated: gambling. spending that much money on something i have a high chance of not liking is wild to me.

lets use the listed 250$ box from the site for example. it's listed to have a value between 300-400$ so we'll say 350$ average. even if i lucked into something i wanted i've only saved on average 28.5%

they are constantly running coupon codes. even right now i can get 23% off any knife listed on the site. so i just took a massive risk to save ~5%. if i'm patient and wait, there are coupons and sales that stack and i can pick up a knife in a style i know i like at a much bigger discount.

edit: i'll leave this how i originally typed it because i forgot to factor in the code can also apply to the boxes. still fantastic deals can be had with considerably less risk.
I’d agree this is definitely for the fun factor. But if I spend $200 (250 box with discount code) and get something for 350 I wouldn’t be mad. That’s almost half off and I wouldn’t be extremely upset about the amount paid.

It could make a nice gift, pass around, or maybe sell on BST for half off and let someone else be happy

they def arent for everyone. I passed one I didn't like as a gift. But personally I have had a lot of fun with them and it's a chance to try stuff I normally wouldn't go for too

Yeah personally I'm against these kind of mystery box on principle, same with games, but if they do give you what is worth then it's fine. If I want to some surprise I'd go to custom makers and tell them to go wild.

Yeah personally I'm against these kind of mystery box on principle, same with games, but if they do give you what is worth then it's fine. If I want to some surprise I'd go to custom makers and tell them to go wild.
Going to a custom maker with $100 won’t get you far. This works for the $750+ ones maybe lol

I have done 4. One was a DCB customs. My wife took it and laves it. One was a Delbert Ealy that was garbage. Handle was trash blade didn't touch the board in multiple spots, they had me send it to Delbert whom did a poor job and sent back to me. One was am awesome Shiro Kamo. Last was a Mattia Boriani. Worst piece of garbage ever. Spent hours making it useable. Home butcher said they won't use his knives anymore. Long story short, total gamble. However The Home Butcher will make it right. I 100% endorse them.

I think I got two of them in the past, the cheaper ones. I honestly cannot remember what I got, but I do recall that they were not anything that I would normally buy for myself, but was still sorta decent value. I ended up giving them away to friends. Treat it like a gamble of $XX, and be prepared that you might get something you don't like. If go in with that mindset, then you'll be fine.

There's rehab clinics for drugs.
I know. I send people to them. 😂

So far I think I only have 8 or so symptoms:

Taking the substance in larger amounts or for longer than you're meant to

Wanting to cut down or stop using the substance but not managing to
Spending a lot of time getting, using, or recovering from use of the substance

Cravings and urges to use the substance

Not managing to do what you should at work, home, or school because of substance use

Continuing to use, even when it causes problems in relationships
Giving up important social, occupational, or recreational activities because of substance use

Using substances again and again, even when it puts you in danger

Continuing to use, even when you know you have a physical or psychological problem that could have been caused or made worse by the substance

Needing more of the substance to get the effect you want (tolerance)

Development of withdrawal symptoms, which can be relieved by taking more of the substance

Back