How do I put stew in a vacuum sealer bag without getting a mess inside the top?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This feels like a problem with a simple solution, but I haven't been able to come up with one on my own.

I like to make large batches of stews and soups, and freeze them in vacuum bags in my sealer, so I have something good to eat when I'm too busy to cook. But my process for doing that looks like this:

1. Take out bags, label them with a Sharpie
2. Ladle or spoon the stew/soup into the bags
3. Fold over and rinse the bags on both sides to get rid of the mess I got on the outside of the bag
4. Use a damp paper towel to wipe off mess I got on the inside top of the bag
5. Use a dry paper towel to dry the top of the bag, inside and out
6. Seal

I would like to get rid of steps 3, 4, and 5. Seems as though it ought to be possible. But how?

Fold over the top inch or two of the vac bag and place it in a 4 or 6 quart Cambro (or other container) to act as a support while you ladle in the broth. It doesn't totally prevent spillage, but it helps and makes the process a lot more manageable.

Alternatively, there are contraptions designed to support bags that purport to solve the problem. Like this guy from Vacmaster:

And this thing.

I'll just stick to the Cambros.

a simple wide funnel should do.

Were using stainless steel food containers.
I've actually been considering going down that route (replacing what I have now with stainless GN containers)... what are your logn term experiences with going stainless?

Use extra long bags, 10-12” wide is best
Fold the bag over
Have a helper hold the bag
Wipe your mess
Chill to freezing or nearly so

Profit

There are funnels that have large openings that I would think would work great. I have one I use for filling Cornhole bags that I make, that has a large opening. It’s tapered so that the shorter you cut it the larger it gets.

I use a cambro or similar as needed to support the bag as needed. Then I use a quart deli with bottom cut out as my funnel (my bags are roughly the circumference of a quart deli so often the funnel actually gives it support at the same time)

Look for a jam funnel. You could also use larger bags or put less in the bag, both of these options will increase the costs though.
I do have one of those. It's great. I use it to fill coffee bags after roasting. But coffee bags are close enough to standing up on their own that the whole thing works. I can see how it might have a role, once I apply a solution to getting the bags to stand up. Some good suggestions here.

The amount in the bag doesn't really come into play, as the problem I'm having happens on the way into the bag.

Probably not advisable if you're squeemish about plastics, but technically you could just vacuum all the raw ingredients and just stew / sous-vide it all in the bags.

A plastic canning funnel works great. I place the empty bag in a 32 oz. tumbler when filling quart-sized (or smaller serving) bags, and I put the larger, 11" bags into a plastic drink pitcher. The funnel works great for both. I got the funnel with a Ball canning starter set and I use the funnel for all kinds of things.

funnel.jpeg

I do have one of those. It's great. I use it to fill coffee bags after roasting. But coffee bags are close enough to standing up on their own that the whole thing works. I can see how it might have a role, once I apply a solution to getting the bags to stand up. Some good suggestions here.

The amount in the bag doesn't really come into play, as the problem I'm having happens on the way into the bag.
Find a 'container' (round, square, plastic, glass, 9ne that holds the bags volume), as someone else said fold the edges over so it standsup in the container and fill with your funnel (fill slowly, sometimes they fold in on themselves with the weight). Then gently fold the bag back, try not to drop it, get your tongue in the right position (vital step) before sealing the bag. There will occasionally be a bit of extra clean up because of the human factors involved.

It’s simple, really. Just fold the bag over twice. If you do it only once, any dripping will touch the plastic that needs to be sealed. If you do it twice, it will never end up getting that last inch or two of plastic wet.
This is the move!

Honestly, anything you do that requires extra equipment, funnels, bag holders, takes way too much time and it’s just more stuff to wash. I frequently triple or quadruple recipes, even soups and such, and I always vacuum seal and freeze the extra for meal prep. I let the food chill overnight since I use a chamber vac, and then first step I just take out about 20-30 bags, and roll them all over twice. Doing this gives you a nice wide open mouth automatically. The only other thing I use is a giant foil bbq tray with a deep lid, to put the bags in once they’re filled to keep them from tipping over. Then I just bring the entire foil tray to my vacuum sealer and work them in batches. I usually do this on my couch, and the only mess I’ll have is occasionally dripping a little bit on the outside of the bag under the folded lip. For that, I just keep a moist rag and wipe it off. If I’m trying to be as accurate as possible, I’ll keep a scale on an end table.

What size bags are you using though? The 4 mils are a pain to roll in anything under 10 or 12” plus you lose quite a lot of volume.

3 mil 8x10 is my most common choice. I do use 5 mil for bone in steaks and anything expensive that I don’t want to risk, and I fold those over just the same. As for losing volume, you don’t have to make the folds that thick, just thick enough to fold them twice.

i put the soup/stew into a suitable vessel first. a big measuring cup is awesome thanks to the pour spout. bonus is i can measure out exact quarts or whatever. then it is easy to wipe down the cup and pour it into the zipper bag with little fanfare.

i make red enchilada sauce and that stuff can stain the color black. i gotta be careful.

I haven't used by vacuum sealer (as I don't have a chamber vac) but I do freeze soup/stew in medium ZipLoc bags.

My solution is I use the glass - a 1 litre cambro - and put the bag in and roll the edge down the sides. I get some splatter on the edge but mose of the time it's clean.
20230214_173636.jpg

(Yeah the wife was using it as a drinking glass)

Back