How many kitchen knives do you own?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 240s (trying to sell one)
4 bunka (also about to sell one)
3 nakiri
3 210s
2 santoku
2 petty/sabaki
1 Chinese cleaver
1 meat/bone cleaver
1 western butcher

21 knives damn it is a lot when I rack them all up. I went on a big spree to figure out what I liked, particularly in gyutos and have sold off several already. Now I'm happy with the 3 of each stasis and abiding by a sell one in order to buy another rule.

I rotate pretty actively through most of these except the sabaki-bocho has replaced my western butcher, I rarely use my meat cleaver, and the 210 nakiri doesn't see a ton of use, but it's also really good at squash/watermelon big stuff so it's a specialty buster.

Around 13, but 6 of those are an old stainless steel Chicago Cutlery set we got 26 years ago. Those are the wife's knives.

TBH, never bothered counting how many kitchen knives I have—don't see the point. I'll buy a new knife when a practical need, or a particular maker, or type of knife gets my heart racing—coinciding with extra money in the wallet. I refuse to let a self-imposed limit/number of knives dictate what/when I buy for the kitchen. Best guess, is I've a bag full of knives.
9CDC292F-309A-43A1-83D8-D5AB0300F4ED 2.jpg

Surprisingly, not surprisingly I have 11.

I told myself a few years ago that I would not get carried away when I dived down the rabbit hole. I refused to make purchases for the sake of making a purchase. It is not my job to keep every knife maker in business. Every knife I have has it's purpose and I make sure to have a real good reason before adding to the family. Every mistress is a jealous mistress after all.

Even the 3 that I would be willing to part with serve as valuable lessons.

1. Avoid Damascus like the plague.
2. Never follow KKF trends. The flavor of the month will never outdo good old fashioned strawberry.
3. Weird profiles that work great in a pro kitchen are often wasted at home.

What profiles work best for you in a pro kitchen?
I have never worked in a pro kitchen. Don't let the profile name fool you 🤣 🤣 🤣

But I have talked to chefs that have given me both great and poor advice. The poor advice wasn't bad advice because it wasn't wrong. It was just advice based on situational needs. I was like "your right that does make sense" or "your right that would make that task that I will never do at home a lot easier. I will get 2 so that I can have a backup"

:angiefavorite:

Ah, I see. You got me with the name, and the mention of a pro kitchen. I agree in principle about Damascus cladding, though I have broken that rule a few times. If Shiro Kamo made his R2 in a straight Kasumi, I'd have gone for it. The other one I've come to love is a Y Tanaka Damascus. I really enjoy using those.

So what's you favorite profile for basic home use?

I don't know what good old fashioned strawberry is. To be frank kkf and the "trends" have lead me to some absolute stellar knives. A Fujiyama and a Yanick will never be less good just because a lot of people like them. Sometimes it's good to follow the herd.

Ah, I see. You got me with the name, and the mention of a pro kitchen. I agree in principle about Damascus cladding, though I have broken that rule a few times. If Shiro Kamo made his R2 in a straight Kasumi, I'd have gone for it.

Just give it a rub with sandpaper and the damascus etch will disappear, then you can treat it as a regular migaki. The cladding is quite soft and easy to work with.

I have one on BST if you change your mind ;)

Surprisingly, not surprisingly I have 11.

I told myself a few years ago that I would not get carried away when I dived down the rabbit hole. I refused to make purchases for the sake of making a purchase. It is not my job to keep every knife maker in business. Every knife I have has it's purpose and I make sure to have a real good reason before adding to the family. Every mistress is a jealous mistress after all.

Even the 3 that I would be willing to part with serve as valuable lessons.

1. Avoid Damascus like the plague.
2. Never follow KKF trends. The flavor of the month will never outdo good old fashioned strawberry.
3. Weird profiles that work great in a pro kitchen are often wasted at home.

Popular knives on KKF tend to be popular for a reason, it’s just really important to know what those reasons are and whether or not they apply to you personally.

Like Takamura and Jiro - two very popular knives for exactly opposite reasons. Somebody who loves one probably wouldn’t be crazy about the other.

It's more the price premium -- I don't mind the drag. After a couple of days of use, that goes away. I love those knives. I especially like the tall profile in a 240-250 for all-around use.

ETA - I love Takamura and would love to have a Jiro...

Ah, I see. You got me with the name, and the mention of a pro kitchen. I agree in principle about Damascus cladding, though I have broken that rule a few times. If Shiro Kamo made his R2 in a straight Kasumi, I'd have gone for it. The other one I've come to love is a Y Tanaka Damascus. I really enjoy using those.

So what's you favorite profile for basic home use?
I'm not much of a fanatic when it comes to profiles. I have a couple of requirements but it depends on the job. Gyutos should be at least 240. Sujis should be at least 270. I tend to avoid knives with long tips that start to resemble a bird claw. Never bought a sheep foot paring knife for this reason. I don't use flat gyutos except the one damascus since that is what a cleaver is for. I don't like rounded rocking cleavers. None of my gyutos are very tall either. The maker and the steal takes precedence usually over profile types.

I don't know if this is answers your question. Maybe I should add the shape isn't nearly as important as weight and thinness for me. Sometimes a heavier gyuto is right for the job, sometimes a lighter thinner gyuto is what is needed.

I’m interested in what you consider a KKF trend. Are you referring to makers that get hyped up or profiles/types of knives?
Any sort of flavor of the month type hype.

Sometimes it's a specific maker.
Sometimes it's a blade type or steal.
Sometimes it's a natural stone.
Sometimes it's a vendor.

Don't get me wrong. There are certain things that people on this forum have generally agreed upon that has been consistent throughout the years. Like the preference for larger gyutos. The superiority of end grain cutting boards. The utter dismissal of sharpening rigs, gizmos and gadgets. The desire for the greatest sharpest edge. How Los Angeles and Miami have the best looking women.

Then there are the things that came and left.

There was a period where everyone was into Honyaki knives.
Then there was the time where you had to get a natural stone.
There was a moment where people argued over the merit and value of American Makers (don't get me started on this one)
Let's not forget about the time where people argued over the virtues of Shirogami and Aogami and argued over which one was superior?

Of course there are many more, but you get the picture.

Sorry, I have to grab a drink. I am starting to remember the long arguments of heat treating. 🥴

I don't know what good old fashioned strawberry is. To be frank kkf and the "trends" have lead me to some absolute stellar knives. A Fujiyama and a Yanick will never be less good just because a lot of people like them. Sometimes it's good to follow the herd.
I was making an analogy with ice cream. Sure, it's nice to walk in and choose from 31 different flavors. And that chunky loaded green holiday mint turtle will be enjoyable once or twice. But we will always fall back to the tried and true flavors eventually.

Yes, there is a core number of people that can successfully follow hype. I am not one of them.

Idk man I've always been into honyaki. Bring back the honyaki hype train. And it seems like everyone still likes jnats more than ever 🤣 . I think the "trends" for most of those things have never really gone away. But we'll see, curious if everyone will be into yanicks and fujiyamas and kamons in 5 years, they all insta sell out here the second someone lists one for sale. Time will tell I guess.

Idk man I've always been into honyaki. Bring back the honyaki hype train. And it seems like everyone still likes jnats more than ever 🤣 . I think the "trends" for most of those things have never really gone away. But we'll see, curious if everyone will be into yanicks and fujiyamas and kamons in 5 years, they all insta sell out here the second someone lists one for sale. Time will tell I guess.
I will watch the train ride by like always. Hopefully it is on schedule like always.

I have 2 jnats. I will never recommend them for kitchen knives to anyone that asks. Not that I don't think anyone should by them. I'm just not the person to ask. I will transfer them to your department if the need ever arises. 😆

I will watch the train ride by like always. Hopefully it is on schedule like always.

I have 2 jnats. I will never recommend them for kitchen knives to anyone that asks. Not that I don't think anyone should by them. I'm just not the person to ask. I will transfer them to your department if the need ever arises. 😆
I own 4 and I do not really know a ton about them. I saw the finish displayed and I just bought based on that. It's Just such a rabbit hole. But as others have said...something something smooth rocks smooth brain? I rub the metal into the rock and it makes the knife good. That's all I need to know 🤣

Well,

If you ever see a Yanick, Kamon, or Nine passing by hit me up.

Back