ice cream ideas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcelNL

deleted the professional part....so blame taker
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
We recently picked up a small active ice cream maker and started experimenting with making ice cream, now looking for other than the usual flavor combinations...
Mainly interested in low fat/ low sugar versions, which is a challenge I know!

Combination of today:

some cream, some milk
couple of yolks
three table spoons sugar (some palm sugar some powdered sugar)
4 very ripe bananas

Made a custard with the above adding the bananas last, total volume was a little under 1 liter.

some grated Tonka bean
some lemon zest
sprinkle of salt
infused some kaffir lime leave in the custard
added some lemon and lime juice
some red timut pepper for a little kick

came together quite nicely!

Last edited:
(1) Saffron Milk:
Saffron + Cardamom
Optional: Ginger, Almonds, Black Pepper

(2) Pistacchio + Pomegranate

(3) Lavender + Earl Gray

(4) Buttermilk + Honeycomb + burnt honey

(5) Molasses
Optional: Ginger, Cashews

This said, I like coffee ice cream best :)

I am surely going to experiment with coffee ice cream, as I roast my own beans! (likely a ristretto ice cream)

1 and 2 sound really exciting! Do you use black cardamom or green (I find the green a bit too perfurmed)?

Last edited:
both, I will for sure try some ideas to pair in a savory dish and make some odd combinations like the Sicilian combination of vanilla ice cream drizzled with grassy olive oil and sprinkled with coarse sea salt! I suspect finding combinations that work as a food pairing is much more difficult than everything else.

were those whole or ground beans? I'd imagine ground, if so; at a grind setting for espresso or more coarse like fo4r french press?

I am surely going to experiment with coffee ice cream, as I roast my own beans! (likely a ristretto ice cream)

1 and 2 sound really exciting! Do you use black cardamom or green (I find the green a bit too perfurmed)?

I can't speak for @McMan but in Indian cooking they tend to use green cardamon for desserts/sweet dishes and black for savory.

Perhaps too much the flavor of the moment (or the recently passed moment) but maybe matcha? I'd be curious about Lapsang Souchong/Russian Caravan flavored smokey tea ice cream as well? A number of amaros (amari?) might provide another source of inspiration but Fernet flavored ice cream might be a step too far for my palate.

were those whole or ground beans? I'd imagine ground, if so; at a grind setting for espresso or more coarse like fo4r french press?

In this case they were whole and we used a pound per pacojet container. You could use less and probably get somewhere close to the same effect. We had zero concern there for our food budget.

Budget is not an issue, I buy green beans at prices that make espresso a pretty affordable hobby!

So the whole beans sat in the frozen mass and were blitzed when served if I understand the Pacojet correctly or were the beans dumped after steeping before freezing?

Grinding coarse and steeping cold probably works pretty well, I'll give it a try next week.

Following for best coffee ice cream ever. Have espresso powder, beans, grinder, maker, can SV if necc for long steeping.

espresso powder...shudder ;-)

Think I'll experiment with steeping coarse ground espresso beans to do a cold extraction, adding ristretto's to taste to add some boldness of flavor as cold steeped coffee tends to be 'thin' in taste.

Can’t find it in the notebooks. You’re in the right neighborhood though. Get your base, cool it, steep beans, strain then churn. We used whole beans like I said, but I think a coarse grind will get you there, though you’ll lose more base in the strain process.

espresso powder...shudder ;-)

Think I'll experiment with steeping coarse ground espresso beans to do a cold extraction, adding ristretto's to taste to add some boldness of flavor as cold steeped coffee tends to be 'thin' in taste.
Although I have also enjoyed ice cream made this way, i think, from a coffee-centric standpoint, you won’t extract the full range of flavors at a cool temp. If you’re using good beans with exciting flavours (something tells me you probably are) you’ll get much more of the characteristics that make them special by infusing at a hot temperature.
The cold temperatures extraction will work like cold brew, it can certainly be yummy but you won’t get the same range of flavours as a hot extraction

We recently picked up a small active ice cream maker and started experimenting with making ice cream, now looking for other than the usual flavor combinations...
Mainly interested in low fat/ low sugar versions, which is a challenge I know!

Combination of today:

some cream, some milk
couple of yolks
three table spoons sugar (some palm sugar some powdered sugar)
4 very ripe bananas

Made a custard with the above adding the bananas last, total volume was a little under 1 liter.

some grated Tonka bean
some lemon zest
sprinkle of salt
infused some kaffir lime leave in the custard
added some lemon and lime juice
some red timut pepper for a little kick

came together quite nicely!
It’s not too uncommon anymore but I really love me some miso ice cream; brown rice miso in particular

I have been playing with Monk Fruit as a sweetener and 1/2 Almond Milk. Problem is not enough fat/sugar so it freezes solid. Haven't added gelatin or alcohol yet but that is my next step in experimenting with making it softer.

I am a sucker for chocolate custard with peanutbutter swirl.

Reactions: PJD
I got a little obsessed with ice cream over the summer. Below’s a copy of the notes I made. Where it says “Hello”, I’m referring the ice cream book “Hello My Name is Ice Cream” for the basic recipe and the blank slate. We tend to prefer our flavors pretty intense, so I typically use 2-3x more flavor components (rum, bourbon, etc) than called for in the recipe. Also sugar is usually about 20-25% less.

Eggnog
Recipe from Hello
4 tbs dark rum (Eclipse) to milk during warming, boil off alcohol. 1 whole nutmeg, 2 tbs vanilla. 1/2 cup + 1 tbs brown sugar instead of 3/4 cup.

Bourbon butterscotch
Recipe from Hello
Use moscovado sugar. 4 tbs bourbon, +1/4 cup sugar, 2 oz dark chocolate. Simmer sugar in butter, add melted chocolate to warmed dairy. Additional 2 tbs bourbon during custard phase.

Baileys
https://www.theredheadbaker.com/irish-cream-ice-cream/
1.25 cups Baileys, muscavado dark sugar, additional Baileys at end

Bourbon Peach
Bourbon Peach Ice Cream

Coconut
Blank slate base w/ .5 cup sugar, infuse 2 cups toasted coconut (4-6 mins at 350F) + 1 cup untoasted + 2-3 vanilla beans for 1 hour in warm milk. After custard stage add 1 tbs vanilla + 1 tsp coconut essence + 1 tbs coconut Ciroc vodka.

Toasted marshmallow
1 10oz pack mini marshmallows. Roast at 350-375F for 8-15 mins, check color and rotate frequently. Add to blank slate custard base, skip sugar and tapioca starch. Add 1 tbs vanilla, 1 tbs vodka after custard stage.

Butter pecan
Candied Pecans Recipe | Gimme Some Oven
Ice cream mix use blank slate with 1/2 cup dark muscovado for sugar, add 1 tbs vanilla at end with 3 tbs vodka. Infuse 1 cup chopped pecans for 1 hour.

For candied pecans break 1 cup pecans into quarters or use chopped pecans (larger pieces), add additional 1/4 cup white sugar. Baking time reduce to 30 mins, skip flipping. Freeze pralines and add in last 5 mins.

Other favorites
Burnt honey lavender
Matcha
Strawberry sour
Lychee
Tahitian vanilla (3-4 fresh grade A beans)
Corn
Chocolate Hazelnut / Gianduja

Or you can use a stand mixer and a dewar of liquid nitrogen. If you don’t pace it out well it’ll freeze in less than a minute. Smoothest ice cream I’ve ever had and the cost of the dewar was less than buying a good ice cream maker.

Or you can use a stand mixer and a dewar of liquid nitrogen. If you don’t pace it out well it’ll freeze in less than a minute. Smoothest ice cream I’ve ever had and the cost of the dewar was less than buying a good ice cream maker.

We do this at catered events when they want a little show pizazz with dessert. Ice cream is good but not great, always closer to soft serve than hard. But then there's the toppings!!!

We do this at catered events when they want a little show pizazz with dessert. Ice cream is good but not great, always closer to soft serve than hard. But then there's the toppings!!!
Yeah, I usually get it 90% frozen with the nitrogen in about a 3 minutes and get it into the freezer for a few hours to overnight to finish off. Took me a few tries to get comfortable, but the last several batches have texturally been equivalent to premium store bought. Unfortunately I lost my computer hard drive that had the excel with all my recipes revisions or notes so back to the drawing board on the ice cream front I guess

Back