If you had to choose just one... Why?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry late to the party but at the same price range, I would get this one.
Takamura Migaki R2 Gyuto 210mm

Sorry late to the party but at the same price range, I would get this one.
Takamura Migaki R2 Gyuto 210mm

I remember glazing over this one a while back. I think I was intimidated by the higher HRC and got concerned that I may chip it. I want to work on my sharpening skills and knife skills more before I start getting into the more brittle knives. Unless my understanding of all that is wrong. Then... oops.

Personally, I would go with Knives & Stones over JKI, you get a better F&F for your moneys worth.

The Gesshin Stainless is more of a "Budget brand" on Jon's site. Not to say that its not a good knife, everything on JKI is quality, but I cant find a reason i would recommend that knife over the Sukenari or the Tanaka, so the Gesshin Stainless is out for me.

As for Sukenari vs Tanaka, ive never tried the sukenari, or a Tanaka Ginsan, but I do have a Tanaka AS, and i can tell you it is a very high quality knife. Youll find that Tanaka is a renowned brand, as most people in the comments are recommending the Tanaka over the Sukenari. I would take their advice. I think you will enjoy your Tanaka alot.

What you're thinking is somewhat confusing to me. If we're talking about the Wa version of the Gesshin stainless, I'm not sure the Tanaka is a clear upgrade.

I've handled the Wa version, the western version, the Tanaka Ginsan and the Tanaka VG10. The Wa-Gesshin is a different knife to the Western Gesshin and honestly I think it is quite a bit better. Profile and geometry is improved and it is very easy to sharpen. edge retention isn't noticeably different to the Tanaka. The main difference is that Tanaka's steel (even the VG10 version of it) tends to feel like it has some bite to the edge.

The Tanaka is a great cutter but a little awkward/rough around the edges at certain places. The Wa-Gesshin is overall a much more comfortable knife.

The main downside of the Wa-Gesshin is that there isn't a 240mm version.

Out of the lot I would actually pick the Wa-Gesshin. It is cheaper, has better F&F and you get a saya. Performance-wise I don't see a significant advantage from the Tanaka.

Wa-Gesshin having a better F&F?? Did you buy your Tanaka from K&S? They polish all their choils and spines, the f&f is outstanding.

Wa-Gesshin having a better F&F?? Did you buy your Tanaka from K&S? They polish all their choils and spines, the f&f is outstanding.

You sure you're talking about the lite? Because the one I used had choil eased and that's it. Pretty sure it wasn't polished.

For what's it's worth I've always offered to round spine and choils upon request... not everyone likes it though (I love it that way, but I've had people ask to make sure it's not rounded)

For what's it's worth I've always offered to round spine and choils upon request... not everyone likes it though (I love it that way, but I've had people ask to make sure it's not rounded)

I have the Gesshin Ginga stainless, its a great knife with great F&F. But K&S has alot of great options for people who want to get that kind of F&F and a semi-custom handle at the 200 and under price range.

You sure you're talking about the lite? Because the one I used had choil eased and that's it. Pretty sure it wasn't polished.

Idk, I never heard of the "lite", maybe thats an option that doesnt offer the polished f&f.

Idk, I never heard of the "lite", maybe thats an option that doesnt offer the polished f&f.

Yeah you're probably thinking of the Ebony handled one. That one is definitely an upgrade without a doubt.

Yeah, the lite has much less f&f according to the website. I don't mind putting some elbow grease into it, so no biggie.

Yeah, the lite has much less f&f according to the website. I don't mind putting some elbow grease into it, so no biggie.

The standard F&F is not as bad as some make it out to be to begin with. I have seen worse for sure.

ALRIGHT EVERYONE. The knife arrived today, and let me just say... it is gorgeous. If there are any concerns about the Lite version of this knife, put them to rest.

The handle is beautiful, the handle to the ferule is totally flush and it feels finished very well. The choil looks a bit rough, but it is in absolutely no way uncomfortable. The spine has nothing wrong with it, pinch grip feels great. The blade itself came super, super sharp. As I was holding it, I was kind of in awe. It just felt 'right.' Super happy with the purchase.

Back