Is a honyaki Deba stupid?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, wouldn't silver 3 ("honyaki") solve all the problems...since only 60-61 hrc Max?

An 6-8mm slab of 65 hrc mono blue 2 deba is not gonna be fun to thin,
but maybe 60-61 G3 isn't so bad (?)

The suisin g3 line used to be IIRC monosteel,
and were popular with pro types back in the day.

I doubt ill ever have to thin my honyaki deba and if I did I'd probably bring it to kevin or naito at knifewear and bite the bullet at say 40 bucks max, being a home use knife I'd imagine I'd only have to sharpen it 1-2 times a year, given the amount of whole fish I butcher at home say 2-3 items a month, I'm waiting on pictures of the ginsanko deba ikeda has made in the past to decide if it's for me or not. stainless honyaki is kind of a weird one for me, I have stainless monosteel blades, but none that are deferentially heat treated

Now worries, not trying to beat a dead horse if its a show/home use/collector knife etc.

To put out an argument I don’t think has been mentioned yet: sharpening. Used properly and carefully, you are likely to chip a deba. Cutting through ribs, splitting heads and cutting fins are all suitable tasks for a deba though the likelihood of chipping the edge is high. I sharpen my debas much more than any other knife because of how often dull them. The main reason, aside from cost, that I don’t own a Honyaki Deba is the additional time I would have to spend sharpening it. As for warping (it totally depends on the quality of work) I don’t think clad deba are likely to warp compared to longer thinner knives because of their thickness.

Back