Is that small chip hurting anything besides my pride?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, Need some experienced advice. I've got a very small nick on the edge of my Anryu Aogami Super 210 gyuto. I recently sharpened the knife and am curious if there is any immediate threat of more damage or if it can wait until the next sharpening to repair it. I can see it with the naked eye, but it is small enough that I couldn't get a picture of it to share. Thanks.

if it doesn’t bother you when using it (if it’s really small it probably doesn’t) I wouldn’t sweat it. it will come out with subsequent sharpening so you don’t need to remove metal unnecessarily now.

I recently put a small chip on my Gengetsu after spending 10+
hours thinning and refinishing it. I was holding it spine-up on a vice and didn’t realize the edge was touching the bottom part of the vice. it was the last step, polishing the spine… I couldn’t believe it, but after using the knife I decided I’m living with it until sharpening takes it off

I say leave it. Losing height this way hurts, and most of the time hopefully you won’t notice it in use.

If you do notice and it’s a problem, then by all means grind out the chip. I have a small chip in a knife I use daily, it’s been there for 2 years+ now and I forget it’s there until I test the edge post sharpening.

Leave it, unless it catches while cutting and bugs you. If it does bug you, sharpen normally but create a bigger burr.

Latest posts

Back