Is there anyone who can explain this beautiful phenomenon?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miyamoto Musashi

Reaction score
Why do this happen on steel? Apologies in advance for the phone quality image.

Attachments

• FF3585EA-F627-4FBA-97C4-2E62FD1C640A.jpeg
    FF3585EA-F627-4FBA-97C4-2E62FD1C640A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
A geo geek might identify this as an instance of a drainage pattern at the intersection of dendritic and parallel structures (same thing really, just more directional.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drainage_system_(geomorphology)
1680923775341.png

On land, the structure results from slope and erosion.

At the fluid interface between stone and steel, the dynamics involve capillary action (the suction and surface tension @M1k3 and @msicard mentioned) and the gross separation of the knife moving apart from the stone at an angle.

Last edited:
People say Global are hard yo sharpen. What else?
Does Shun worth it? Some people say they are overpriced.
I personally dislike the handles and overall ergonomics.

Shun are ok. They're sharpening service a nice add on for the person that's not an enthusiast. But there's other options available in similar price points with better performance.

I personally dislike the handles and overall ergonomics.

Shun are ok. They're sharpening service a nice add on for the person that's not an enthusiast. But there's other options available in similar price points with better performance.
I have no had any Global, so I can't say about the handle.
Some years ago I wanted to have gyuto Global. Today, I don't have any interest in this brand.
But I don't feel iterest in Shun. As you say, there are better choices.
The good point of Shun is that they are relatively easy to find on internet. At least in Spain.

Shuns aren't that bad, they can be fine thin knives, Global on the other hand is kind sad, their steel is budget level and sharpens like annoying soft stainless.
With large, clustering carbides and the resulting edge instability. Hard to raise a burr, terrible to get rid of it. You believe you've deburred it: ten minutes later you feel a burr that has popped up in another place.

Shuns aren't that bad, they can be fine thin knives, Global on the other hand is kind sad, their steel is budget level and sharpens like annoying soft stainless.
My wife has loved her Shun santoku for years. It's perfect and I'm not allowed to thin it. Them grantons or whatever they are called on the side of the blade release potatoes which is prof positive that her knife is superior to all others in the knife block.

A geo geek might identify this as an instance of a drainage pattern at the intersection of dendritic and parallel structures (same thing really, just more directional.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drainage_system_(geomorphology)
View attachment 236154

On land, the structure results from slope and erosion.

At the fluid interface between stone and steel, the dynamics involve capillary action (the suction and surface tension @M1k3 and @msicard mentioned) and the gross separation of the knife moving apart from the stone at an angle.
Dudes been holding out on us, we have a genius on the forms...

With large, clustering carbides and the resulting edge instability. Hard to raise a burr, terrible to get rid of it. You believe you've deburred it: ten minutes later you feel a burr that has popped up in another place.
Yesterday I sharpened my wife Global petty on a Practical Sharpening vitrified diamond 2000 stone. I took me 2 min to find where I put the stone, put some alcohol solution (for automotive windows) on it, raise the bur and get reed of it (the bur not the Global). Two recommandations for Globals sharpening :
  1. Go diamonds;
  2. Do not try to improve it; it only works as is.

Back