J-Nat Club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sample display :)

Nice idea and would be great fun to try some of them. Too bad that Aarhus is, well, nowhere near where I live.

I can't make out all the kanji, and would take me a while to figure them out anyway, but looks like a fantastic assortment.

I recently became member of the J-nat club. Just one stone, but I already love it.

A Oohiro Tomae Lv3,5 from Maxim. I tried it only once for sharpening my Hiromoto Gyuto. The progression was 1000K grit, 3000k grit and the Jnat - 1st without nagura and then with -. I am not an expert on sharpening but i was always able to get my knives sharp, however this time it was even sharper than before.

I also loved the feeling of the stone, it is very responsive and gives me a great feedback - much better than the naniwa snowwhite -. This stone seems to be a great finisher for my Hiro, I dont know how the other knives will match with it but I am sure I will be getting some very good results.

Thanks Maxim

Pics to follow.

Post photos if you'd like. Always fun to see more naturals.

I really have troubles posting pics in this forum ... but will try.

Here's an Ohira family picture:

DSC_8880.JPG

Mostly on the softer side, though some are a little harder. Some are faster than others. For the most part, they are pretty similar in grit. Not sure why the top left corner is missing in a lot of the stones. Is it some sort of mark?

*** Sorry for the poor picture quality. Google seems to scale my picture down and I cant figure out how to link to the full sized version...

DSC_8880.JPG

Mostly on the softer side, though some are a little harder. Some are faster than others. For the most part, they are pretty similar in grit. Not sure why the top left corner is missing in a lot of the stones. Is it some sort of mark?

LET ME GET ONE OF THOSE LOL!

DSC_8880.JPG

*** Sorry for the poor picture quality. Google seems to scale my picture down and I cant figure out how to link to the full sized version...
The ones with cut corner are #30 and are cheaper than those that are perfect shape. The missing corner is along the skin, where two layers of the strata are separated, not cut on purpose.

Here are my stones from Atagoyama (maybe)

DSC_8925.JPG

Red aoto, green aoto, green nakato, green awasedo, kiita, and kiita. Last 3 are #24 stones, which seem to be more available with the atago mine than others. The green aoto is the most recent addition and I have to say it might be my favorite nakato so far.... smoother and more consistent than any aoto I've tried to date, including an expensive vintage one.

'Piles of rocks'!? More like a quarry from the sounds of it. Anyway, a good excuse to build your own toishi storage room.

k4t2c8.jpg

Takashima & Ikarashi

Thank you maxim. My first jnats :D

how does that ikarashi perform thinking of getting one for my JNAT setup

Takashima & Ikarashi - nice combo

Yeah, you can start with Ikarashi and avoid synthetics for most sharpenings. If you need a bit more, then use a 1k first (or the JNS 800k: really complements naturals, I think), then move to the Ikarashi next.

s1i6ww.jpg

Ikarashi: cuts good for a jnat (1k to 2k as the site says) also leaves an even scratch patter (wish my camera was good at micro shots). I say great for beginners as it doesn't take off a lot fast.

syq8zm.jpg

Takashima: simply amazing, great feeling when sharpening, and makes a nice slurry with a splash of water. it also cleans up marks from ikarashi nicely.

Nothing happening on this thread for a month, and I also haven't noticed much jnat talk on the forums recently. So, to remind everyone that jnats are a lot more interesting than synthetics, thought I'd post a photo. This is basically my current collection where I stack it beside the kitchen.

65f9c5de-1e39-4c8e-8c60-5f4065b3d129_zpsff9943b7.jpg

i am bit surpriced that Nakayama still have kanji on it :eyebrow:

That's an impressive set of stones! I guess a few more years of your jnats addiction and you'd have enough materials to build a house out of those bricks :doublethumbsup:

Thanks, and what an idea! Wow... Imagine: a tennen toishi house...

i am bit surpriced that Nakayama still have kanji on it :eyebrow:

Yeah, I've been slow with the razor thing. But now that I've taken a photo, yes, time to remove that kanji. ;)

Nothing happening on this thread for a month, and I also haven't noticed much jnat talk on the forums recently. So, to remind everyone that jnats are a lot more interesting than synthetics, thought I'd post a photo. This is basically my current collection where I stack it beside the kitchen.

65f9c5de-1e39-4c8e-8c60-5f4065b3d129_zpsff9943b7.jpg

This is indeed very impressive :doublethumbsup:

Good selection, nice Naguras as well!

Thanks. Actually, I forgot and left out a few - a bigger Botan and 2 Tsushima, large and small. Very happy with the large Tenjyou I got off of BST from Mainaman; to think that was available for 1 or 2 months without a buyer... ridiculous! As for the small Asano set, very handy and often overlooked. Using nagura is a great asset. Also, small sets aren't hard to get at all - and can be cheap.

Yeh, yeh, i say always: it's better to be rich and healthy , then poor and ill :) - to have a lot of stones in better then not to have them! I agree, the sets are always good, i 've got one from Maksim last week. I like to use Tomonaguras a lot, same on same ( as to me) feel always smoother, finer, better. And sometimes i like to proceed on harder good quality stone with different Naguras in progression rather then change of the finishing stone.

Tell me pls, if you do like your Tsushima Naguras- i am still thinking, if i do really need also Tsushima. As a JNat fan for sure, but really?? With all the Naguras i have.. No, really, even being JNats nuts :)

Very happy with the large Tenjyou I got off of BST from Mainaman; to think that was available for 1 or 2 months without a buyer... ridiculous!

I believe that thread is still going with a few stones left...in all honesty, if I knew what progression those stones went in and a little bit more about them I would have been paying attention to and jumping on them, but I dont, and have never met anyone in person who does, so unless I ever get showed in person what the stones mean, they have 0 meaning to me. I do have an ohira suita around the 10k grit level, but I dont even know how to talk about that stone in jnat terms.

Tell me pls, if you do like your Tsushima Naguras- i am still thinking, if i do really need also Tsushima. As a JNat fan for sure, but really?? With all the Naguras i have.. No, really, even being JNats nuts :)

Actually, there's no Tsushima in the photo above. They'd be black. I have a small Tsushima for slurry (not shown in photo) and I've sold a large JNS one on BST in the past. Large ones are very good - uniform, without any problems, harder and so and razor dudes like them I think. But feel is important to me and it wasn't really my cup of tea.

In all honesty, if I knew what progression those stones went in and a little bit more about them I would have been paying attention to and jumping on them, but I dont, and have never met anyone in person who does, so unless I ever get showed in person what the stones mean, they have 0 meaning to me. I do have an ohira suita around the 10k grit level, but I dont even know how to talk about that stone in jnat terms.

I've never really met anyone who knows about jnats, aside from in Japan. True, it does help to be able to try many stones. On the other hand, there's lots to read and videos to watch, and then things make more sense and you develop preferences, etc, like with anything.

Ohira suita - well, suita can all be different from what I know, and so someone would have to judge themselves or rely on another's opinion or recommendation - a seller or more experienced user - or if not just cross their fingers when purchasing. (Ohira are supposed to be pretty consistent in quality, for example, though there seems to be a big price range.) Of course you'd probably use yours as a finisher, and people love fast and fine suita, especially for tools. Is yours like this? A suita would normally have 'su' or tiny holes that would aid speed, even if myself I think 'speed' is over-rated and often sales-speak - though of course a stone isn't good if it's too slow and doesn't cut either.

In my case sometimes I like non-fine coarser finishers for many knives and tasks. 'Aoto' stones, or Takashima or Hakka or Tsushima, etc, should be good for this, and not as fine as your suita. These might not erase all scratches from coarse stones, and so some might want to go finer and do this to get the finish they want. On the other hand, I've received a new deba before with a really uniform but still clear scratch pattern, and I thought it looked quite cool, and so I sometimes don't care about obliterating all signs of scratch, and deba don't need to be so fine. I like to use even coarser stones too, because they feel better to me and are more interesting than synthetics, and can help create nice scratch patterns if you want. In the photo above I've got several that are more on the bevel-setter end, a Natsuya, Iyo and 2 Ikarashi, big and small, which could be used in the space between my coarsest synthetics up to the aoto/etc stones mentioned above. Therefore, with these I can avoid touching any synthetic. :cool2:

Thank's Asteger!
i use several naguras in progression, but it depends really ( my experience) what steel do you have.. They all work totally different on different knives ( i do not try to open Amerika to anyone, this is the loud thinking :)
I like coarser stones, i have severals, and my experience from it all says that they all are different, even if they have same names, same look etc. And that is the main sh...t! :viking:
But , whatever... It gives completely different feeling, as any synthetic does. That's what thrills me really.
Today i've got an Okudo Suita, a quite pretty one, but i can not manage to post a picture somehow , sorry..
What i understand with all these Jnats stories- this is a great stuff to employ yourself with something "mystic" either then.. I really get fun from it, i like it a lot, i use it a lot, but there are the great Big Boys toys, same as many others, and i like it. The main thing is a "dance" around the mines/names/stratas etc- it's really funny! it is to take seriously into consideration, no doubt, but anyhow, this is the funny stuff! let us enjoy it!
:justkidding:

Latest posts

Back