J-Nat Club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a terrible phone pic of my favourite natural. I'm shure you all know what it is.

Rooftop view of my current stones, including a few recent purchases. From L to R: Ikarashi, red aoto, green aoto, tsushima, ohira tomae, ohira suita. Thanks to Maxim, ChrisW & Mainaman for recent recommendations & tips.

IMG_4823_zpsee99e8e7.jpg

Nice! How do you like the Ikarashi?

Just received it this week. 'Deal of the day' score, though I'd had my eye on it for a while So far so good!

Opening the package it seemed quite soft and chalky. However, it's harder than I'd thought, has a smooth feeling when sharpening, and give off much slurry, which is a good thing for me.

I've sharpened a couple of knives now and it left a very nice toothy edge on my white#2 nakiri all on its own. Was impressed.

You have to flatten it when you buy it, though. I have a Naniwa flattening stone and a 400 Atoma and I used them both, but took about an hour. However, this was a good way to get aquainted with the stone and I didn't mind. I just watched something on the tube as I did it.

Oops, edit above: meant to write that it doesn't give off much slurry, at lease relative to my expectations

Guys I have a quick question/ I have Ohira Tomae lv4 but I didn't had a lot of occasion to use it. I've used it on Ura side od deba and i sharpened Kato on it. How do you use it?? Do you have any suggestions or tricks?? Which knives do you sharpen on it? Thanks in advance.

Hi

On ura side i usually make light slurry with nagura and take it on slurry, it make more uniform finish and also helps remuve a burr.

But on that hard stone make sure to make slurry before you use it, and you can use it on any knife

So, with the red (green) aoto from Maxim, and the Kizuyama suita from schanop (which is also from Maxim).
I can now officially join the club! I am sure more will come :D

The Red aoto (actually I think is is a hybrid between red and green, certainly feels harder than schanop's red aoto)
_1050003.jpg

The Kizuyama suita
_1050004.jpg

Yes, this one def looks like it's on the green side rather than red, which should mean it's harder - which I'd probably prefer. Very useful stone, I think you'll find.

Yes, this one def looks like it's on the green side rather than red, which should mean it's harder - which I'd probably prefer. Very useful stone, I think you'll find.

it's indeed a really nice stone, very easy to work out the mud, and gives much better finish than synthetic stones. I am in fact getting rid of my shapton gs now :D

Hi J-stoners - thought I'd add something here. These are my most recent additions: greenish akapin atagoyama ('green aoto') from JNS on the right and newly arrived hakka from Japan on the left. The hakka looks quite cool - not sure if you'd call that 'kan' or what? - but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. The green aoto is very handy; interestingly, it gave a far better edge to my stainless petty than all of my other stones, and of course it's great with the carbons too.

HakkaGreen_zps62363567.jpg

Probably the Best Ohira Range Suita i ever seen Type 30 :bigeek:

Just perfect, it is sold now and going to US soon

P1060479.jpg

P1060480.jpg

P1060481.jpg

P1060482.jpg

P1060483.jpg

P1060484.jpg

Wow! That one is so nice it looks like it's been manufactured to precision!

(Why sell? You should have kept it for your collection ;)

haha i have wayyy to many stones now for my self :D I dont even use half of them

Nice stone! It never even made it to the website...

I've gone a bit overboard. Here's my group shot. There are a few others I forgot to bring out, but this is the bulk of them.

DSC_7279.JPG

Maybe the last time they'll all be seen together.

Nice set. I almost bought that Atagoyama level 3 at bottom right. Lucky you.

Fatally got this set of total 64 stones !! All is different mines strata and look etc. :cool2:
some very very rare stones in there

Finishers
IMG_2324.jpg

Ara, naka, naguras, aoto etc.
IMG_2325.jpg

Dont get to excited they are only 40mm x 15mm each :D

Holy toishi!

Why have they all been cut so thin? Actually, they don't all look so thin.

Are these for your collection or for sale? What's the idea behind the purchase?

Back