Japanese knife fails on Winter Melon?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zw359

Reaction score
I just peeled and cut a winter melon( soccer ball size ) in this afternoon with my Masamoto CT Gyuto. After that, the knife could not slice into pork belly skin even the cutting edge looked fine. I didn't expect to sharp my Japanese knife between two dishes :( Does any one treat their knives with harsh water melons?

Thanks. I think you suggest to cut along inside of hard skin. I did cut through the skin many many times.

Pork skin is surprisingly tough. I doubt you dulled your knife that much. Have you tried cutting anything aside from the pork skin to see if its the knife or the product?

honestly, problems solving without more information is rather difficult, but i would probably start by considering if the edge had the burr properly removed before cutting. Following that, i would look at how the knife was sharpened (angle, grit, etc), then the cutting technique, cutting boards, etc.

Did you slam the knife very hard into the cutting board while powering through the melon? Maybe the knife edge is rolled, or you have microchipping?

Back