JNat Mining

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xenif

Reaction score
I'm sure many noobs such as myself has never thought about how all these crazy JNats are mined and whats invovled in getting it to us (and why they cost a fortune). Well, it ain't easy, check out thia video (there are better ones but this has good eng subs)

https://youtu.be/YueSn9edMI0

A few years ago I visited the Ardennes Coticule mine and I was blown away by how much work goes into producing the coticule whetstones. It runs in thin layers thought the blue stone and they have to process something like 1000 kilograms of blue stone to get 1 kilogram of useable coticule. That was when I fully understood why they're so expensive.

Sometimes I wonder.... is there anything really special about the geological locations where sharpening stones originate? Aren't there possibly thousands of other locations where sharpening stones could possibly still be extracted? It's not like the Ardennes and Japan are the only places that have rocks in them...

Sometimes I wonder.... is there anything really special about the geological locations where sharpening stones originate? Aren't there possibly thousands of other locations where sharpening stones could possibly still be extracted? It's not like the Ardennes and Japan are the only places that have rocks in them...

There are loads and loads of locations, some of them still very active
-Thüringen (think Escher)
-Frankonia (ok its next thi Thüringia)
-Russia (think Jaspis)
-Israel (thing Negevdesert)
-USA (think Arkansas)
-China
-Thailand
-Wales (think Slate)
Just to name a few..
I personally think, that there must be cool stones nearly everywhere, but the japanese are doing the "marketing" better than others...

Yeah I've heard of some of the other smaller European locations. But there must be tons of other potential locations all around Asia, Africa, Southern America and god knows where else that we've never heard anything from stone-wise. Given the prices that most well-known natural stones are demanding now it should be relatively easy to undercut them by a huge margin on price if you manage to find anything decent.

I guess I should start a shop with Rozsutec stones for western markets since it comes from my home country :) Maybe I could pay them a visit the next time we drive back home to visit family.

Funny enough, in a Central/South Western region of Bolivia while on a hiking excursion, I came across what looked to be a very old (looked late Inca/ early colonial period, definitely post-ceramic) habitation site....it had a huge piece of stone that looked glass smooth from it being rubbed on and flat as a table. The entire area, now at 3000+ ft of elevation used to be shoreline to the Pacific ocean prior to the last ice age. When the Andes rose upwards, they forced up with them literally hundreds of thousands of square miles of sedimentary rock (complete with intact dinosaurs tracks, fossilized plants and whole prehistoric giant turtle remains). Turns out this sedimentary rock begins to break down with water and the local natives have been using certain layers or strata to sharpen stone, bone and metal implements since forever (although I assume steel was introduced by the Spanish as I don't think one can build a blade from pure gold or raw iron).

So my guess would be that there are indeed treasure troves of natural stones of all types (sedimentary, quartz/novaculite, slate, etc etc) all over the globe waiting to be discovered.

Damn fun.
The line of from the professor "all the pillars of Japan's subtle esthetic is based on the sharpening stone" Come on!!! it doesn't get better than that!
The guy in the hills with the bookcases full of Jnats was worth the price of admission.
thanks for posting.

I actually watched another video of that miner talking about how bad things were in the late 90s early 2000s (video only aired like last sunday, cant find it yet) His dad passed the mine on to him, he wanted to keep going but didnt have funds to keep operating the mine. To stay afloat he picked matsutake mushrooms on the property. Things only turned around in the last 10 years or so.

what an amazing video!! Thanks for posting that

I guess I should start a shop with Rozsutec stones for western markets since it comes from my home country :) Maybe I could pay them a visit the next time we drive back home to visit family.
Can you tell us more about it. What is the difference between the whit and the black ?

I’d be keen! Any idea as to approximate grits?

Here is a video of Belgian coticules being mined in the 60s if anyone is interested

[video=youtube;pNCmy0pjxcc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNCmy0pjxcc[/video]

Back