Jnat sealing options?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragjp

Wood, Rock & Steel
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must be asked before so sorry for being lazy on a Monday..
Unfortunately I'm allergic to urushi so cashew lacquer might not be a good choice, and it's hard to find in US anyways. What's your method of sealing Jnats? Knowing things like nail polish, lacquer spray and some boat coatings would work but not quite sure about the pros and cons.
Thank you for shedding light on this! 🍻

You can use almost anything tbh, but acrylic spray lacquer is a bit of a no-brainer really. It's very cheap, very easy, and dries in minutes.

IMG-7966.JPG

I use a thin layer of epoxy to coat mine. It works pretty well and it's fast. It's super hard to get cashew and the smell and drying time doesn't seems nice. My stone are not museum grade so I just want to protect them 💁‍♂️

Just be sure that the stone is nicely dry and that the sides are clean and free of stone powder residue. I let it cure at least for 24 hours before using them again, even if it's a quick 5 min drying time epoxy.
5217A2DB-CE1E-47E2-ACAD-3C6FA0925C78.jpeg21DFFEFE-DE09-44A4-895A-BA15FAEF8C7D.jpeg5F6D2EFD-0F34-4BDA-BE6D-4A747DD0B052.jpeg

thank you all! gonna try those on a few mini naguras.
I use a thin layer of epoxy to coat mine. It works pretty well and it's fast. It's super hard to get cashew and the smell and drying time doesn't seems nice. My stone are not museum grade so I just want to protect them 💁‍♂️

Just be sure that the stone is nicely dry and that the sides are clean and free of stone powder residue. I let it cure at least for 24 hours before using them again, even if it's a quick 5 min drying time epoxy.
View attachment 244593View attachment 244594View attachment 244595
And yes epoxy, also I experimented this resin method to flat couple of koppas, worked great too. 🍻

Last edited:
Ended up using that indoor stuff in the above link on a bunch of stones.

No complaints. 4-8 coats depending on how much you like to see saw marks and kawa texture.

Is there more ideal products? Very likely. Seems ok to me tho.

Back