Kaeru!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, kaeru look cool. Y’all should probably go back to the mazaki thread-nothing to see here. Just some boring old stainless knives with a core steel no one has ever heard of. Profile looks real unoriginal too.
#jnspoop

They do look cool from Maxim's instagram teasers. The spine appears very thick from today's post, kind of Kato-esque.

SLD is basically Hitachi version of D2. Should work very well given good heat treat. It's fine not to care about the steel and just trust the smith, even knowing the steel you have to trust the smith with the heat treat anyway. In this case Maxim provided the information of what the core steel is.

No no no no no. I've been on the straight and narrow for a good few months now and this just might make me fall off the wagon.
Crap!

Look like cosmetic bevel which is good cause im not a fan of actual wide bevel. This is an interesting semistainless option. Waiting to hear about grind feedback. Would prefer skd cause what's point of semi lol

The way that wide bevel widens towards the tip suggests some detail work magic and onion slaying characteristics. SKD is soo nice probably my favourite steel and would've been great for sure.

I haven't used a SLD steel and always wanted to, so with the price point, this will be a no brainer for me.

I am intrigued to try one and compare the steel to the one on Itinomonn SS which also makes more ‘stainless’ than ‘semi-stainless’ impression - could well be SLD as well (I have no way to actually know). It does not stain at all so far

I’m still bummed out that itonomonn is no longer in production. They were my go to recommendation for a decently priced performer to peoples that were new to proper chef knives. Hopefully these fill that gap.

I’m still bummed out that itonomonn is no longer in production. They were my go to recommendation for a decently priced performer to peoples that were new to proper chef knives. Hopefully these fill that gap.

Same :/

I have had some small dealings with all three of the aforementioned vendors and they are very professional. Maxsim seems to have a spartan presentation/vibe with his knives. The art is in the function not in the bling. I like that approach. I had one of these new knives in my cart today. As a home cook I am so much more confident with stainless. I have some VG10 that maintains an awesome edge under my use. Bailed out- I am forced to slow down on knife acquisitions. The 210 value looks to be high (Q/P ratio). Looks very functional.

Wonder who makes these.
Or what the heat treat is like on that sld

I would be cryptic too with copy cat snake mother******s circling around like sharks sniffing drops of blood from a mile away swooping in like an eagle, stealing my hard work, research, development and efforts so they can undercut me with cheap facsimiles all the while smiling on their way to the bank. Shark tooth eagle eye snake mother******s!

But think of all the shiny colourful handles that could go on these!!!!!

Speaking of handles, Maksim why do you love D-shaped so much? :(

As a lefty I'm totally fine with righty d's.. Go figure..

Lars

Yeah man-what about us leftys? Kinda reluctant to buy a beater if the handle needs to be changed.

I'm also a lefty, not a fan of righty D's.

Also, why do you consider it a "beater," is it the price point, or steel, or design? Since I'm a carbon guy, how would SKD compare with Ginsanko—is SKD a beater steel? I've been eyeing up the Ginsanko Mazaki, but the price of Kaeru is very tempting.

Sorry, you’re right it’s not a beater. Just a more inexpensive knife. Basically it’s a beater knife price.

I'm also a lefty, not a fan of righty D's.

Also, why do you consider it a "beater," is it the price point, or steel, or design? Since I'm a carbon guy, how would SKA compare with Ginsanko—is SKD a beater steel? I've been eyeing up the Ginsanko Mazaki, but the price of Kaeru is very tempting.

Look like cosmetic bevel which is good cause im not a fan of actual wide bevel. This is an interesting semistainless option. Waiting to hear about grind feedback. Would prefer skd cause what's point of semi lol

Just got mine today, it is definitely a cosmetic wide bevel.

Back