Kato Gyuto Identification Help...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradmacmt

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Kato 240 AS/Nashiji Gyuto... I don't speak or read Japanese, and am looking to translate the Kanji. I find conflicting information on the internet. Can anyone help? Is it made by Yoshimi Kato or Hiroshi? What I'm seeing suggests it's by Yoshimi.

0.jpg
0-1.jpg

Last edited:
It doesn’t say whose the blacksmith on Kanji, kintaro is company name, I think these are made by Yoshimi Kato, I have it before.

Hi, I have a Kato 240 AS/Nashiji Gyuto... I don't speak or read Japanese, and am looking to translate the Kanji. I find conflicting information on the internet. Can anyone help? Is it made by Yoshimi Kato or Hiroshi? What I'm seeing suggests it's by Yoshimi.

View attachment 176333View attachment 176334
well you cannot identify the maker simply from the Kanji. But as far as I know, now Yoshimi Kato is the main blacksmith for his company. And some of the product will still have the old version letter "越前金太郎作"

1650763869074.jpeg

If I remember correctly once the Kanehiro branded knives changed from 90 degree choils to the rounded ones (like the ones pictured in OP) was when Yoshimi took over the forge.

Brand name is Echizen kintaro, make by Yoshimi Kato.

Back