Kippington Deburring Video

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for those. I don't fully understand everything said in all of those though. Which burr removal method was found to be best? Also how can an edge push cut but not shave or can shave and not push cut? Aren't those the top 2 tests for having a good edge?
Depends what you are push cutting.

As far as deburring methods. If done well. The cleanest apex with be very light edge trailing strokes at the same angle as sharpening.

Edge leading is more effective at removing the burr, but leads to microchipping in the apex.

Stropping after removing the burr on the stone is good for getting a very clean apex provided you don't do it wrong. But needs most of the burr removal work done before moving to the strop.

Depends what you are push cutting.

As far as deburring methods. If done well. The cleanest apex with be very light edge trailing strokes at the same angle as sharpening.

Edge leading is more effective at removing the burr, but leads to microchipping in the apex.

Stropping after removing the burr on the stone is good for getting a very clean apex provided you don't do it wrong. But needs most of the burr removal work done before moving to the strop.
Interesting. Thank you. I couldn't quite understand. I tried the method in the video I posted earlier and got a really good edge. I will try leading strokes next time and see how that works for me. Did you happen to see the video?

Interesting. Thank you. I couldn't quite understand. I tried the method in the video I posted earlier and got a really good edge. I will try leading strokes next time and see how that works for me. Did you happen to see the video?
I definitely recommend going through the posts here if you want to learn more about sharpening, and what happens at super high magnification.

https://scienceofsharp.com/home/
Also. I think this guys channel is pretty interesting. Though not necessarily testing the same things. He does some interesting (i think) testing.

https://youtube.com/@homeslicesharpening?si=Aa5tLdL9oScLJi8c
I just watched the video. Seems like a pretty decent edge.

Back