KKF counts to a million

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did oven and ice bath three times with some hard knocking. No joy. Going to buy a chisel this weekend.
The next rabbit hole beckons.

https://hidatool.com/item/2649

1712952305149.png

His singing. He is pretty well isolated by security so no idea his personality, but if I had to guess, I'd bet he is a total douche.
I see. I'm more of a piano guy so the only song I'd heard from him was his io ci saro collaboration with Lang Lang. I thought it was good at the time, but I just went on Spotify and listened to his rendition of Hallelujah - his phrasing sounds more bland when he uses English. It's interesting that he needs security - I figured classical musicians would be far less easily recognized in public.

I don’t know enough about him to say definitively, but total is likely not accurate after I had previously seen this video.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPRTT9g9o/
The fact that someone on his crew had to explain to him who she was, and he reacted with "wow" as if he didn't know, makes me think this was mostly the decision of his crew, and not him. Regardless, unless he has been rude in public, it's probably hard for anyone who doesn't work with him directly to tell what his character is like. Hearts of gold can be awkward and douchebags can be suave.

5995 (I think)

Security was the wrong word. Handlers would be better. He is always surrounded by at least a half dozen people.

What bothers me about him, being a classical musician, is that he is a pop singer posing as an opera singer. His voice is thin, pitch isn’t great, timing choices questionable, over does everything for dramatic effect. I just find it all a gross bastardization of my art form.

Security was the wrong word. Handlers would be better. He is always surrounded by at least a half dozen people.

What bothers me about him, being a classical musician, is that he is a pop singer posing as an opera singer. His voice is thin, pitch isn’t great, timing choices questionable, over does everything for dramatic effect. I just find it all a gross bastardization of my art form.

He’s no Brennan Huff, that’s for sure.

IMG_3004.gif

Last edited:

What instrument do you play? I encountered similar disappointment when I heard Yo-Yo Ma's recordings. I liked his Bach preludes but many of his recordings don't make it sound like he appreciates the uniqueness of each piece. He plays everything in the same way - specifically, the way that is convenient for the player. For example, I dislike when a string instrument player crescendos not because the phrase calls for a crescendo, but simply because their bow is getting close to the frog and it would be easier to crescendo to maintain their tone.

Sometimes, it's dependent on the piece. Lang Lang is often criticized for his ostentatious style when playing on TV or in front of Chinese audiences, but after I heard his performance of a Tchaikovsky concerto on New Year's Eve, I think at least he can be serious when he wants.

I used to be a professional bassoonist before I moved into management. I'm now VP of Artistic Operations.

Yo-Yo's Bach isn't my favorite, but in general he lives up to the hype. Incredible musicians, incredible human. I've worked with him a few times. Just one of the nicest people ever.

Not a big fan of Lang-Lang. He is definitely style over substance. Yuja Wang is the real deal. No one can compete with her technical prowess and backs it up with incredible musicality.

I saw itzak perlman perform a few years ago and it was other worldly.

Joshua Bell, Yoyo Ma both live up to the hype

Renee Fleming on the other hand was a big disappointment. She just seemed completely disinterested and her voice was just average

Itzhak in his prime was great. Honestly he is kind of a joke in the classical world at this point. Orchestras are mostly hiring him to play his movie music show, because no one wants to hear him hack through Beethoven or Mendelssohn.

Joshua Bell is a great player, but it makes me sick to pay the fee he charges.

Renee needs to hang it up already. She tried to extend her career with that American Song Book stint, but holy hell is that awful.

Back