KKF counts to a million

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T minus 35 days and counting until @M1k3 can take BST off mute and go hog wild with all his holiday cash monies. 💰💰💰

Maybe we should make him an advent calendar for the occasion.

🎅 🔪

I didn't even make it into December with my "no knives until after the holidays" pledge. 😕

In my defense, with the discounts, it was only $91 shipped. :)

"Only ninety one dollars shipped dear. I mean c'mon, I'd be dumb to pass up that opportunity. I mean, prices are going up. Besides, do you know how much people spend on rocks?! Just be glad I'm not into those... What's that? Well, yes, I mean technically some of my stones are actual stones but that's different."

I didn't even make it into December with my "no knives until after the holidays" pledge. 😕

In my defense, with the discounts, it was only $91 shipped. :)

"Only ninety one dollars shipped dear. I mean c'mon, I'd be dumb to pass up that opportunity. I mean, prices are going up. Besides, do you know how much people spend on rocks?!

10,000% rational logic!

Its NOT even a justification-- AND its backed up by the science of Economics.. not to mention everyone in this thread and most on this forum.

We stand with you in solidarity ✊✊✊

"... Besides, do you know how much people spend on rocks?! Just be glad I'm not into those... What's that? Well, yes, I mean technically some of my stones are actual stones but that's different."

#1 NEVER DO THE MATH
Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 10.27.59 AM.png

#2 Please feel free to show your better part the above as justification for your habits

Obviously I've not kept anything close to everything, but jeez the rabbit hole is deep and expensive...

#1 NEVER DO THE MATH
View attachment 210705
#2 Please feel free to show your better part the above as justification for your habits

Obviously I've not kept anything close to everything, but jeez the rabbit hole is deep and expensive...

EDIT:

I'm also thankful for forum members who fall on their own swords to assist with enabling my personal collection to grow!

#1 NEVER DO THE MATH
View attachment 210705

My dog's food went from $49/bag to $78/bag this year with about a $12 jump since his last bag! We all know prices on everything have been climbing but they are really kicking up right now. We've seen it knives already and I suspect stones won't be far behind.

Daniel at EE and Watanabe both said late last year that prices were going to start going up. That was my signal to get busy with my experimenting. So I spent a fair bit this year but I've gotten myself in a pretty good place all round and am prepared if I need to start backing off for a while.

You’re right on! As I talk to vendors in Japan, it’s becoming clear that stones are getting more expensive at an increasing rate. Not only is it just general inflation, but other than Maruo there aren’t really more stones coming to market, just large stacks from existing wholesalers. The two stones you see this most acutely with are Ohira Uchigumori and Okudo suita. Both have seen wholesale costs double in the last few years and will probably do so again in the next few years. Clean Nakayama stones aren’t far behind. Trying to get my lifetime supply while I can before things get op out of hand!! Even finding good Natsuya and Aizu, relatively abundant stones despite not being mined in the last 50 years, is getting more challenging.

You’re right on! As I talk to vendors in Japan, it’s becoming clear that stones are getting more expensive at an increasing rate. Not only is it just general inflation, but other than Maruo there aren’t really more stones coming to market, just large stacks from existing wholesalers. The two stones you see this most acutely with are Ohira Uchigumori and Okudo suita. Both have seen wholesale costs double in the last few years and will probably do so again in the next few years. Clean Nakayama stones aren’t far behind. Trying to get my lifetime supply while I can before things get op out of hand!! Even finding good Natsuya and Aizu, relatively abundant stones despite not being mined in the last 50 years, is getting more challenging.

This is one instance where I can say thank goodness I'm not really good at polishing! Because it's kept me from tripping too far into the natural stone world. :)

Back