KKF counts to a million

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
482 let's not forget the stoners :tease:.

I may have miscalculated. A stone I ordered from Japan arrived a day early. 4,280g. Umm, that's almost 9.5 pounds to lug on the bus/train home. This and I have my full gear setup (laptop, phone, commuter cup, reading materials, etc). I really wasn't counting on it to arrive until Monday so I was planning on going to minimum gear over the weekend.

Of COURSE I can't leave it at the office over the weekend. It needs to be broken in!!!

Weight training?

I may have miscalculated. A stone I ordered from Japan arrived a day early. 4,280g. Umm, that's almost 9.5 pounds to lug on the bus/train home. This and I have my full gear setup (laptop, phone, commuter cup, reading materials, etc). I really wasn't counting on it to arrive until Monday so I was planning on going to minimum gear over the weekend.

Of COURSE I can't leave it at the office over the weekend. It needs to be broken in!!!

Weight training?

LoL. That's a lot of stone! Hope you like it!

Weight training?

484 LOL you will have to move soon

486 @lifebya1000cuts - WOW!!! How much did that thing weigh? Was it a polished (like marble) mortar or more of a roughish volcanic stone type mortar?

Just curious, I have two babies compared to your monster.

487 It weighed "enough to rip the stitches on the backpack a few mm loose but not tear them off" pounds... But then, my record for unreasonable bus transport is a lowboy (domestic not restaurant grade lol) freezer...

489 I go to costco twice a month by bus and often come home with more than 100 pounds of groceries lol.

490 It got really bad a couple of times when I decided to go catch the train (it was too cold and the train station has heating ) and the elevator wasn't working. 100+ pounds in a travel bag are not the most comfortable thing to carry downstairs.

491 and this (points to prior post) is why I will never give up my car. Which is also why I will never live in the city, forget the rents, can't afford the parking.

493 *Snort* It's one. A super huge Aizu. Dimensions are 220X74X96. Yep, it is taller than it is wide. I think it may be bigger than my Khao men but cant' wait to get it home to compare.

Can I lap it on it's side so I have a super wide sharpening surface? I don't know if the strata go in a certain direction or not. I can say it was lapped on the most physically pleasing side. Almost looks like it has a bit of Renge in it but I don't think it comes from the right strata for that. I'll post a picture next from my cell phone.

The rock...
That is a full size swingline stapler next to it.

1490378648581.jpg

I think you could lap and use the side. Worst case you do so and the sharpening doesn't work out and you've lost 1mm of the saw cut width
Man, super cool to see a wide Aizu. Seems like those and aoto it's hard to find ones >70mm width (or they're suuuper pricey)

497 Yep, that's why I couldn't pass this up. I have another largish one that's 195x68x55 but by touch and memory alone I think they will be of different enough grits where I may still keep both. Can't wait to play with it.

498 It appears to be bigger than a brick. More like a stone paver size.

1K is the real first milestone... just saying :tease: :razz:

Sunny and shiny in Scotland, who would have thought of that?

505 How does one learn the discipline to not even attempt to multitask while shallots+rice for a risotto, or mustard and cumin seeds, are in a hot pan alone?

506 That's why most recipes for risotto tell you to stir it continuously. Probably not because it makes the rice any better, but just to make sure you don't ruin it by walking away and forgetting it. :p

507 I find seizing it once broth is in really takes negligence ... but the charring time for a thinly sliced shallot seems to be defined as 0.8 x the length of time it takes to put something back in the pantry, cause a small spill of pantry ingredient, clean it up, and wash your hands...

LOL, my phone decided to start a live video on Instagram while on my pocket while biking home and in the process kill most of my battery and a good chunk of data. I didn't even know how to start a live video on IG. On the bright side nothing private was aired and I learned something new.

509 you bike home? Isn't it like a million degrees below freezing over there?

Weather is crazy here, it went from -20C to almost two weeks of hitting positive almost every day and the last week or so has been hitting double digits positive consistently so almost all snow is gone. Snow and ice stop me from being more since you get nice days here and there in the winter but the roads are unusable (at least I don't have what it takes to risk my life on them). I can bike to the University in the Fall until around -5 C but it has to be at least 5 C to be enjoyable, once it drops to -10 C for the first time I call it a season and put the bike away.
It seems we are finally hitting Spring, still dropping below freezing every night but the days are very nice.

Back