KKF Massdrop IV - 田中義一 🇯🇵

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone! Sorry for my delay in posting, I started making a way too long post about both the story of these knives we are commissioning, as well as a bunch of info in general about wrought iron (WI), but I'll keep this one short and make another post going into more detail about WI later - its history, how it differs from other ferrous metals metallurgically and production-wise, why the WI we sourced is among the highest quality, and some general fun factoids about WI that not many people are aware of, and so on (please note that I am not trained in metallurgy, this is all from my fairly recent research which could be incorrect; if so let me know).

Anyways, I am super excited to be a part of this project, and I appreciate all the interest everyone has expressed. It has been a pleasure working with @RockyBasel, @nakiriknaifuwaifu, and our connections in Japan and England to try and get this little project together. We went through a lot of ideas for possible knives, some that were a bit wild, and some a bit tame. After much deliberation we settled on what I think is a really nice compromise of sorts. There will be the familiar, and always spectacular, B1 from Tanaka-san of which he is renown for, but with the interesting wrought iron (WI) cladding and somewhat unusual dimensions. We inquired with Daisuke Kawamura of Kawamura Hamono (Sakai Kikumori) about such a construction and our hope to work with Tanaka-san specifically. Honestly we did not know what to expect since Tanaka-san had never/rarely ever worked with WI before. Surprisingly, and to our delight, Tanaka-san responded with enthusiasm about the idea precisely because he has worked with WI so little but has always wanted to work with it more/wanted to take on a challenge to test his limits and unknowns. But his excitement was tempered by the fact that he had no source for WI. Daisuke-san and I spent some time tapping possible sources to no real avail.

It took a lot of time to secure the WI. There are users on here, and smiths elsewhere around the world, that have a bunch of WI accessible to them, but it is fairly uncommon in Japan, and we needed at least 25kg of it in bar stock to fulfill the quantity we wanted. There are of course some smiths that have access to WI, but generally inconsistently, with varied levels of quality and quantity, and typically of great expense. After a bunch of research I stumbled across Topps & Co in England. They do ironwork for some of the most prestigious and historically significant buildings, palaces, parks, etc., and their designs and build quality are breathtaking. Not only is their work impressive, they also are (likely) the only producers of re-rolled wrought iron in the world (technically their subsidiary, 'The Real Wrought Iron Company,' makes it). As I mentioned, they also make WI for themselves for WI preservation and restoration projects of historically significant sites and properties, as well as for new builds around the world. So we're talking about the quality control of one of the best ironwork companies in the world, the kind of quality they themselves use to preserve history in its most accurate and beautiful manner.

We ordered the WI in bar stock according to Tanaka-san's requests. They were freshly rolled in the end of April. Tanaka-san is in possession of them and has inspected them favorably. Although it is more work, Tanaka-san is excited to forge weld the B1 and the WI. WI can actually be fairly "easy" to forge weld with thanks to its unique metallurgical composition and inclusion of physically fused siliceous slag (more on that next post), which acts somewhat like a natural flux in a sense. That being said, given the hearty dimensions, working with that much novel material can be a bit more difficult. As mentioned, we do not know the price yet because Tanaka-san has to do a test run to determine the cost of the added labor and difficulty/ease of the forge weld; so please understand that even with a possible discount these may still have a sizable price tag. We also do not know the sharpener partly because we want Tanaka-san's input on a possible sharpener he thinks would do well with the material and dimensions after he had some time handling and working with the WI. As mentioned, please note that some craftsmen, particularly sharpeners, do not want to be disclosed to the public for an array of reasons. If the identity of the sharpener can be mentioned, we will do so, but please respect their wishes if they desire to remain secret. I can assure you the sharpener will be one of the highest quality given the special nature of this project, it is more a question of who it is exactly. The interesting thing is that it is during the sharpening/grinding process where things can go awry if the iron is of poor quality/condition. Pockets of impurities, rusted out bits, etc.

I will do my best to get some media of Tanaka-san working with the WI, but again, we must respect the makers' possible wishes of focus and privacy. But I will post progress of the production as best I can. I will try and be available for questions if anyone has any. I will do my best to respond to this thread, but the best way to reach me is through email or IG DMs. Please excuse me if I miss a message from you. As I mentioned, I will attempt to make another post going into more detail about WI and why it is special. Thanks again for all your excitement, I hope everything turns out well for everyone.

I also want to make a quick, cautious remark about comparing synonymously to/calling these WI knives, "Kaiju (whatever)". Kaiju is for Konosuke and I do not want to step on their toes. We are simply looking for a true workhorse grind. Perhaps the Kaiju is the most familiar and similar knife, but this is not an attempt to overshadow or imitate the Kaiju. Thank you for your understanding.
Thank you for the background insight Evan, this makes it even more worthwhile to get one of those knifes, also thanks to @nakiriknaifuwaifu and @RockyBasel. just an amazing amazing idea!!

Last edited:
A few thoughts,
I disagree, they are hiring a custom handle maker to make handles that is accustomed to making a variety. What is the point in saving $25 on a $800 purchase then sending it out to be rehandled because the buyer doesn’t like it? At this price point a good handle is needed. In my opinion this was a weakness in prior offerings. I like the idea of letting jobone make a variety and letting people choose. He can make 50 and sell unselected ones at his own shop (I presume). Or not make 50 and give a few options. He doesn’t need 50 unique ones. The worst idea is letting NKW choose. Handles are personal preference. If you are getting customs made, let people pick and pay extra if needed. You don’t need to offer super premium Koa, but a few options make sense and others mentioned some good options. If people want no handle, why care?

Concur on the custom handle bit. Handles are super personal, case in point horn ferrules. I find them to be overdone on gyutos and hate the look, others probably feel similar about charred mono piece woods or technicolor burls. That’s not even taking into account balance point which is another personal thing.

When you do the selection, ask people if they want handle yes/no. If no, ship directly to them, if yes add to list with contact info and knife dimensions and send it to the handle maker in addition to the knife when it arrives. He can contact folks to discuss details and direct payments as his schedule allows. That way he can figure out what degree of customization he wants to allow people based on how busy he is and can take their tastes into account regarding materials and design. It also should simplify the drop a little bit, since there’s no need to remotely figure out the handle design that fits the wrought iron and balance while pleasing the majority of people. It would also let people decide if they want to increase the budget by 30% on an upgraded handle set up individually, instead of trying to figure out a few tiers of handles at various price points to please the masses.

I would say that it’ll probably end up a little bit more expensive for folks, since it isn’t necessarily a standard handle that’s churned out in a batch of 15-30 for all the knives, but I wouldn’t expect 50-100 more on a 700-800 knife is going to be the straw that breaks people’s backs.

So these 3 good folks work their tails off and come up with an incredible mass drop, and we have the peanut gallery telling them how to "handle" the knives.
Give me a break. If you dont like it, dont put your name in the hat, but I know you will.
Carry on Rock, Nakiri, and Evan.

So these 3 good folks work their tails off and come up with an incredible mass drop, and we have the peanut gallery telling them how to "handle" the knives.
Give me a break. If you dont like it, dont put your name in the hat, but I know you will.

Rocky literally said input is welcome.

Glad you asked. Not decided, but forgive me if I say this - I just don’t like ebony.

NKW and I are toying with the idea of perhaps having 2 handle choices, one cheaper (ebony) and perhaps one $20-30 more - Tasmanian Blackwood, desert ironwood, snakewood, Siamese rosewood, etc. something more exotic

Nothing stabilized!

Inputs are welcome

By the looks it seems the knives are going to be for free. No input or wishes please. You get what you get.

Rocky literally said input is welcome.

Yes it is welcome - just did not expect it would be this volume of input on the handle😂😂 but hey, we are KKF, and we like to beat it to death, and then some

But in all seriousness, some great points here on handles

We will go with something simple - perhaps a mono wood

Still in discussions

みなさん、こんにちは !
It’s finally time to open the sign-ups.

HERE IS IMPORTANT INFO AND HOW TO SIGN UP FOR ORDERS:
please read this and then read it again

I’m serious, read it again!

Here is a recap of the knife specifications:

Knife: Tanaka Yoshikazu Ao 1 Wrought Iron Custom - Wa Gyuto

Size: 225mm <or> 250mm
Construction: Aogami #1 core with Wrought Iron Cladding
Grind: Sakai Workhorse, Extra Height

ESTIMATED Pricing: ~ 800 USD
*subject to variance due to exchange rate, shipping, etc.

PLEASE NOTE – THESE ARE PRICES FROM STRATA PORTLAND AND DO NOT INCLUDE SHIPPING OR CUSTOMS TO YOU
please calculate accordingly

Shipping & Payment:

Conducted with our partner Evan of Strata Portland

Further details and "how to's" will come closer to payment time/project completion date

//

With that, I’d like to open the signups!

Here's how they will work:

Please message me (
@nakiriknaifuwaifu) your information in this
~ E X A C T ~format:

I'm serious about the format guys. Especially the title. Copy and paste this stuff, text goes where the carrots are (please delete them first)
I get 100+ PMs when these open, keeping things uniform minimize mistakes on my end.

//

Title of message: "ORDER - Tanaka Massdrop"

Region (NA/EU/APAC): <type region here>
Size:
First Choice: <enter size you want here>

Second Choice: <enter size you want here OR "none">

//

EXAMPLE:

Screenshot 2022-05-23 at 10.58.21 AM.png

//

INFO ON SELECTION: All participants will be randomly ordered using the truly random noise of the universe (random.org)

Then, to choose sizes, I will go through the list in order:

If your 1st choice size is available you will be assigned that size.
If your 1st choice size is not available but your second size choice is available you will be assigned your 2nd choice size.
If your 1st choice size is not available and you answered "none" to the Second Choice selection (above) your spot will be placed at the end of the participant list.

This way, you don't have to use eldritch level statistical analyses to maximize your chances of getting a knife in the size you want.
You will only receive one knife if selected.

We will fill as many spots as there are knives.
The remaining participants will be placed on a waitlist in the order that they were drawn.

Edit: As has been the case with all previous drops, I am limiting entrants to folks who signed up to KKF before the thread start date to prevent people from creating profiles to skew the drawing (i.e. fake profiles, inviting friends to make accounts on KKF on one's behalf, etc.).

If you are selected, please treat this as ordering a custom knife (because that’s what this is!). We understand if there are circumstances forcing you to withdraw your order - it's still COVID time and that's what the waitlist is for - but for all other cases please try your best to adhere to the honor system.

We will send out posts confirming payment details when the project nears completion.
Please stay posted for further details.

Thank you,
NKW, @RockyBasel, @Smashmasta

:dancingcow:

~IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT~
SIGN-UPS WILL CLOSE MONDAY MAY 30TH 11:59 PM CST
(Central Standard Time: GMT -6)

Results will be made available shortly thereafter!
Please continue to follow this thread for further updates and cool videos!
My posts are the colorful ones - easy to find and easy to read!
Thank you all for your support so far!

A note about deadlines:
As you may know - this isn't my (NKW's) dayjob. Running massdrops is a labor of love, and while I'm happy to run it, it demands quite a bit of time. Please do be mindful of the updates and deadlines as they keep the project on track; for that reason they are final. Thank you.

Last edited:
One perhaps somewhat important question, is that knife shipped from witin the EU to its final destination (f.e. me) or from outside, just asking as 21% Value Assed Tax and handling will/may have to be taken into account.. and that makes it a princely 1000 euro knife.

Any chance we could have the kanji located on tang rather than the primary blade? Half or more of the appeal of wrought iron is polishing and flattening the nice crisp engravings to get the area around the kanji polished always causes me great pain.

If this is massdrop and we are all massholes, then we’d be happy to put the kanji where the sun don’t shine😂😂😂

みなさん、こんにちは !
It’s finally time to open the sign-ups.

HERE IS IMPORTANT INFO AND HOW TO SIGN UP FOR ORDERS:
please read this and then read it again

I’m serious, read it again!

Here is a recap of the knife specifications:

Knife: Tanaka Yoshikazu Ao 1 Wrought Iron Custom - Wa Gyuto

Size: 225mm <or> 250mm
Construction: Aogami #1 core with Wrought Iron Cladding
Grind: Sakai Workhorse, Extra Height

ESTIMATED Pricing: ~ 800 USD
*subject to variance due to exchange rate, shipping, etc.

PLEASE NOTE – THESE ARE PRICES FROM STRATA PORTLAND AND DO NOT INCLUDE SHIPPING OR CUSTOMS TO YOU
please calculate accordingly

Shipping & Payment:

Conducted with our partner Evan of Strata Portland

Further details and "how to's" will come closer to payment time/project completion date

//

With that, I’d like to open the signups!

Here's how they will work:

Please message me (
@nakiriknaifuwaifu) your information in this
~ E X A C T ~format:

I'm serious about the format guys. Especially the title. Copy and paste this stuff, text goes where the carrots are (please delete them first)
I get 100+ PMs when these open, keeping things uniform minimize mistakes on my end.

//

Title of message: "ORDER - Tanaka Massdrop"

Region (NA/EU/APAC): <type region here>
Size:
First Choice: <enter size you want here>

Second Choice: <enter size you want here OR "none">

//

EXAMPLE:

View attachment 180924

//

INFO ON SELECTION: All participants will be randomly ordered using the truly random noise of the universe (random.org)

Then, to choose sizes, I will go through the list in order:

If your 1st choice size is available you will be assigned that size.
If your 1st choice size is not available but your second size choice is available you will be assigned your 2nd choice size.
If your 1st choice size is not available and you answered "none" to the Second Choice selection (above) your spot will be placed at the end of the participant list.

This way, you don't have to use eldritch level statistical analyses to maximize your chances of getting a knife in the size you want.
You will only receive one knife if selected.

We will fill as many spots as there are knives.
The remaining participants will be placed on a waitlist in the order that they were drawn.

If you are selected, please treat this as ordering a custom knife (because that’s what this is!). We understand if there are circumstances forcing you to withdraw your order - it's still COVID time and that's what the waitlist is for - but for all other cases please try your best to adhere to the honor system.

We will send out posts confirming payment details when the project nears completion.
Please stay posted for further details.

Thank you,
NKW, @RockyBasel, @Smashmasta

:dancingcow:

~IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT~
SIGN-UPS WILL CLOSE MONDAY MAY 30TH 11:59 PM CST
(Central Standard Time: GMT -6)

Results will be made available shortly thereafter!
Please continue to follow this thread for further updates and cool videos!
My posts are the colorful ones - easy to find and easy to read!
Thank you all for your support so far!

A note about deadlines:
As you may know - this isn't my (NKW's) dayjob. Running massdrops is a labor of love, and while I'm happy to run it, it demands quite a bit of time. Please do be mindful of the updates and deadlines as they keep the project on track; for that reason they are final. Thank you.
Final chance @coffeelover191919

aaand the race begins. Good luck everyone!

and to save NKW's sanity, make sure the PM conforms to the example or he may pull a "No knife for you"!
well...my inbox is ****ing buried :p
not meaning to call out the fellows who sent me these PMs but please guys
Please understand I have to input everyone's order as well as answer questions

I will not accept order PMs like this
I've created a template for your convenience as well as included a screenshot example to guide you.

Screenshot 2022-05-23 at 1.42.00 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-05-23 at 1.34.10 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-05-23 at 1.48.00 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-05-23 at 1.38.17 PM.png

forgive me in advance for my brief replies but I will kindly request that you to reformat and send per the template.

if you have any questions please look at the example message draft.

-nkw

edit: sigh...
another one...

Screenshot 2022-05-23 at 2.45.06 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-23 at 1.48.00 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-23 at 1.48.00 PM.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back