KKF you decide my next gyuto!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meccio

Reaction score
Thank you kindly for your time... I've been doing a lot of research on my dream 210mm gyuto for work and I cannot make a decision!

SUKENARI ZDP189

or

TANAKA R2

Which one would you pick and why? Both are beautiful and seem like wonders to work with, but I can't find much info on the sukenari since its quite recent I read... :O:scratchhead:

Well I'm pretty much convinced! Also, watching a few of Mark Theory's videos on youtube helped quite a bit too hehe

Your thread reference means you vote Tanaka I'm presuming?? haha

Personally, I would never cut parmesan with my knives.. I usually use the restaurant's lobster knife ;)

Not necessarily, if you read thru the thread you'd see that was the result of abuse/neglect prior to the parmesan. There are some good videos of chopping thru bone too.

I haven't tried either, but I do own a Miyabi 7000MCD which is also in ZDP-189.

While it is extremely hard and holds an edge for very long, it is a total ***** to sharpen. R2 should be easier in that aspect at least.

Tanaka because
[video=youtube;pZ73qzGT8q4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ73qzGT8q4[/video]

and
[video=youtube;ke_V8z_sdek]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke_V8z_sdek[/video]

and
[video=youtube;V33A2aEgHcw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V33A2aEgHcw[/video]

Dude I watched all your videos last night... No **** tanaka! Loving them, wish I had the time to make some too...

Take the Sukenari!

Tanaka is too too heavy, and Sukenari is the latest trent, and mirror polished.

Yes, that Sukenari on the videos, lost a piece at a parmessan, but so may some Tanaka, since it has only the thin core SG-2, and SG-2 might loose pieces as well, when cutting a wooden toothpick for example(if you force it and slow press it over it)

Watching the Sukenari videos, it can stand lots of abuse ;-) lighter(proper weight), more beautiful, good price for ZDP-189

Also has thinner geometry than the Tanaka

Supersayan, Thinner geometry and standing up to more abuse are a bit contradictory in my opinion. Have you used both the aforementioned knives or knives in both steels? SG2/R2 is tougher than zdp-189 in my experience and the edges I can get with good R2 is miles better than the one I can get with a zdp-189 knife. Also, the wa handled Tanaka R2s look substantially thinner than the Sukenari.

Tanaka R2s are available at metalmaster (http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/product-list/27) fyi.

I would not want to sharpen 240mm ZDP blade, but Tanaka R2 anytime. That combination of ease of sharpening and edge holding is really cool.

Tanaka all the way...my cheapest Tanaka knife is my absolute favorite knife. It's just fabulous. R2 is good steel...Tanaka grinds and thickness is just right in my book.

My wa tanakas are laser beams for sure. No chipping either. But then I don't cut toothpicks with my knives. Only food.

Sweet can't wait to own one and make shallot brunoise!! My fav part of doing mise en place :D

My wa tanakas are laser beams for sure. No chipping either. But then I don't cut toothpicks with my knives. Only food.

Nice, given the beating you give your tanaka on your videos! What stone combination do you recommend for a pro-kitchen environment? I dont always have the time to make the long ritual of sharpening my knives.

Take the Sukenari!

Tanaka is too too heavy, and Sukenari is the latest trent, and mirror polished.

Yes, that Sukenari on the videos, lost a piece at a parmessan, but so may some Tanaka, since it has only the thin core SG-2, and SG-2 might loose pieces as well, when cutting a wooden toothpick for example(if you force it and slow press it over it)

Watching the Sukenari videos, it can stand lots of abuse ;-) lighter(proper weight), more beautiful, good price for ZDP-189

Also has thinner geometry than the Tanaka

Have you handled either of these knives? Also, buying because you've seen some videos or because a knife is the latest trend is complete nonsense.

It sounds like the Tanaka is your best option given the feedback from those who use for work. I can't comment on how the Sukenari would be in a pro environment as I don't work ITK. I think tanaka also costs less as ZDP is expensive steel. It should be noted that the macro chip was caused by previous damage/abuse, the OP mentioned this in the thread.

I asked Koki about Sukenari prior to purchasing since I hadn't heard much about them. Here's a link to my email in another thread:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...Ginsan-Gyutos-210-amp-240?p=356553#post356553

Either way (Tanaka or Sukenari) you'll have a good knife.

Regards,

TJ

I read your email this week after doing a search about the knife on the forums, thanks tj!

...buying because you've seen some videos or because a knife is the latest trend is complete nonsense.
Really I thought that's what our consumerism driven society wants us to do ;)

I read your email this week after doing a search about the knife on the forums, thanks tj!
You're welcome. Also read your comment about time to sharpen at work, as others have said the tanaka would probably be better for you in this regard given the high wear resistance of ZDP-189.

Last edited:
Back