Knife balance tricks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone has some bright ideas...

Just got a knife that's a little more blade heavy than I prefer. Anyone have any snazzy tricks to add a little weight to an octoganal ho wood handle? I was thinking of duct tape and quarters but I thought I'd see if anything else is out there.

Thanks!

Rick

Use lead tape to figure out how much weight you want. Once you have the weight right, get some small lead shot of the same weight.

Drill a hole into the bottom of the handle. Make it wide and deep enough to hold the lead shot, plus a little bit of extra space. There will be at least a centimetre or two of wood that the tang doesn’t extend into; just be careful when drilling. (Or remove the handle and measure the tang to figure out how much extra wood you have at the butt end of the handle.)

Make a paste with epoxy and the wood shavings from drilling the hole, put the shot into the hole, and seal with the epoxy paste.

Last edited:
Wonder if anyone has some bright ideas...

Just got a knife that's a little more blade heavy than I prefer. Anyone have any snazzy tricks to add a little weight to an octoganal ho wood handle? I was thinking of duct tape and quarters but I thought I'd see if anything else is out there.

Thanks!

Rick

just bang of that probably sh1t handle and build one from quality wood instead!! glue it on with epoxy. file/rasp to shape. sandpaper. done. takes you maybe 2-3h for a ****** one and maybe 20h for a good one.

Add on a butt cap, or if it’s a porous handle soak it in oil

I didn't like that balance of my newest knife, thin blade ebony handle was too handle heavy. But the idea of spending another x dollars changing it seemed ridiculous. I have to say that after a while I simply stopped noticing any balance issues.

So I would recommend using it for a while and then and only then consider the more creative solutions.

a tungsten or steel weight of some sort on the butt would take care of it easily.

If you're adding metal, Tungsten is your best bet for a non radioactive, reasonably cheap counterweight with smallest volume per weight. I have an lb. of Tungsten powder around here somewhere-

But a butt cap of lignum vitae or Surinam Ironwood could be pretty, if adding a touch of handle length isn't an issue. 20190509_082018.jpg
20190418_221645.jpg

I didn't like that balance of my newest knife, thin blade ebony handle was too handle heavy. But the idea of spending another x dollars changing it seemed ridiculous. I have to say that after a while I simply stopped noticing any balance issues.

So I would recommend using it for a while and then and only then consider the more creative solutions.

nonoyes, you were right. I'm on my third meal with the thing and I don't even notice it any more.

Thanks for all the ideas though!

Back