Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No they are referring to Kiyoshi Kato

Kiyoshi Kato
yoshimi kato is a takefu village maker, son in law of hiroshi kato

Thank you both. I thought what I'd read seemed a little too pedestrian for that kind of talk but wanted to check. This world can be soooo confusing!

30cea6d572b7a229e3e3aed606499651.jpg

That's actually how it's been priced for quite a while, but yes, their pricing on that knife is the best I've seen. Every now and then they have a 10% off during certain holidays / sales seasons; you might be able to stack that to get it even cheaper.

Is that why there aren’t Blue Super honyaki?
I am not exactly sure why you don’t see it, but it does have a lot of Tungsten in it compared to white 1 or 2 ( which has practically none) and more than blue 1 and 2. This makes the steel extremely wear resistant which would make finishing it really hard in terms of time consuming and material consuming in terms of belts and abrasives. Because of this I just think it doesn’t make sense for Japanese artisans to do. Especially when you could not really see a hamon on it either if you did do it. You can see this comparing white and blue honyaki. White steel, W2, 26c3 gives the best hamons, but also aren’t as wear resistant, which in turn makes it easier to finish.

Also I forgot to add tungsten makes the steel harden faster which means that the clay isn’t as effective in controlling the differing heat treatments on different parts of the blade. That’s why the hamon isn’t as clear. In summary, as tungsten 📈 hamons📉

Back