Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still one shinogi and 3 convex left, given the how popular Hitohira Tanaka and Konosuke are I'd expect them already gone now, anyone one shinogi for me.
I would love to buy the full convex but im holding back for Hado blue 1 dammy. Hopefully I don’t strike out and snag at least 1 Y. Tanaka blue 1. If I do miss all 3 knives then I’ll take the big L and keep telling myself that they aren’t for me.

Looks like it’s taken down now. It’s was a rose damascus 250mm with an ironwood handle for €2,200. It was magnificent
He usually adds them to the gallery on his site shortly after the sale

Those looks really good, anyone have experience with Nakagawa's blue 1? How they compare to others like Tanaka?
Long story short I was talking to Bernal last night about Tanaka and nakagawa and they said nakagawas blue feels a little harder (to them) vs Tanaka and they say have great sharpen ability and edge formation. I know they always publish nakagawa blue 1 around 62-63 while Tanaka is 65 (at least for konosuke). Wondering how true all that info is

Don't know about Nakagawa Blue 1, but I would say the Blue 2, by proxy*, seem to be fantastic. Easy to sharpen, holds a good edge and tough (been abused cutting things it shouldn't).

* I say by proxy, as my experience is with the Kono MM - forged by Ms Mori while she was apparently at Shiraki/Nakagawa Hamono. As a result, I would assume, but do not know for certain, that Nakagawa taught her the heat treatment and it would be same as he would do.

Those look gooooood. Not sure it’s worth the price premium though, could just buy a regular one and get it rehandled…
I'm not sure you'd be coming out ahead. Based on my knowledge of wa-rehandling, and considering how much more involved western re-handles are, I can imagine at best you'd break even.

I'm not sure you'd be coming out ahead. Based on my knowledge of wa-rehandling, and considering how much more involved western re-handles are, I can imagine at best you'd break even.
I was thinking I’d break even but with the flexibility to choose the material (maybe even something nicer than micarta) and tweak the shape a bit. But I agree, it’s not overpriced for what it is.

Those look gooooood. Not sure it’s worth the price premium though, could just buy a regular one and get it rehandled…
Yeah, I agree they are expensive, but they are the higher RC and look to have more refined bolster/choil/spine polish than the cheaper ones they offer. If you started with a nicer Ginga like the Gesshin and got it rehandled, the price would be pretty similar I imagine.

I hate you all for being such enablers :)
Yeah, I agree they are expensive, but they are the higher RC and look to have more refined bolster/choil/spine polish than the cheaper ones they offer. If you started with a nicer Ginga like the Gesshin and got it rehandled, the price would be pretty similar I imagine.

A rebranded Yoshikane nashiji thats a little taller and has some refined visuals. Have a few Yoshi knives already and they’re hard to beat as they are. If I didn’t have any I’d probably have a look at one of these.
I love Yoshi but something about their current Hatsukokoro gyutos doesn't do it for me.

I might grab this Kono Yoshi though

Back