Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone vaguely knowledgeable advise whether semi integral Honyaki is remotely possible?

I imagine not but Joel’s semi integrals are so nice.

How about full integral?

IMG_2802.jpeg

Can anyone vaguely knowledgeable advise whether semi integral Honyaki is remotely possible?

I imagine not but Joel’s semi integrals are so nice.
I also managed to snag a spot and this question very quickly popped into my head as well. Thanks for bringing it up and to all those that provided info. 🙏

I've got nearly a year to think about it, but it's gonna be tough to make a decision. That said I'm not worried about making a wrong decision -- pretty much everything I've seen of his is pure 🔥. I briefly entertained the idea of getting 2 places - one for a twisted wrought and another for a honyaki, but am happy I wasn't greedy and just went for one... they went quickly!

I’ve been eyeing the shindo 210 gyuto on Tokushu
Do you have any experience with it?
Oooh do I. Mine is 220x52 and 153 g but I rehandled it with a smaller teak handle, didn't have a scale when I got it so idk the original weight.

It's a really fun knife. Good sweet spot towards back that feels flatter than the pics make it look. It's a neat profile that I enjoy, 4.2 mm at the pinch but quite aggressive distal taper to an absurdly thin tip, check the last pic. Very much in the vein of his other knives: Signature hammer indent for your thumb on the pinch, super thin BTE, great aogami #2 that feels nice on the stones and takes a delightfully toothy edge on a BBW or a coticule. Nice edge retention and no chipping on any of mine but I'm not heavy handed. It's the smallest gyuto I keep in regular use but is a permanent fixture on the rack. Not very reactive cladding, until my fiance took it to a pineapple when I was out of town, even then just some cool coloring. Cuts better than a Yoshikane.

20230916_152710.jpg

20230706_010710.jpg

20230214_103400.jpg

20230119_065029.jpg

20230119_065057.jpg

20230119_065151.jpg

Oooh do I. Mine is 220x52 and 153 g but I rehandled it with a smaller teak handle, didn't have a scale when I got it so idk the original weight.

It's a really fun knife. Good sweet spot towards back that feels flatter than the pics make it look. It's a neat profile that I enjoy, 4.2 mm at the pinch but quite aggressive distal taper to an absurdly thin tip, check the last pic. Very much in the vein of his other knives: Signature hammer indent for your thumb on the pinch, super thin BTE, great aogami #2 that feels nice on the stones and takes a delightfully toothy edge on a BBW or a coticule. Nice edge retention and no chipping on any of mine but I'm not heavy handed. It's the smallest gyuto I keep in regular use but is a permanent fixture on the rack. Not very reactive cladding, until my fiance took it to a pineapple when I was out of town, even then just some cool coloring. Cuts better than a Yoshikane.

View attachment 276296
View attachment 276297
View attachment 276298
View attachment 276300
View attachment 276299
View attachment 276302
That’s a pretty glowing endorsement
I’ve been interested in smaller less hyped makers, looking for the sweet spot between price and performance
My Munetoshi and Mikami are among my favorites, both significantly <$300
SimilarLy for my Wakui

I’ve been interested in smaller less hyped makers, looking for the sweet spot between price and performance
SimilarLy for my Wakui
I'm in the same boat, Munetoshi and Shindo are such a good 1-2 punch for bang/buck.

Only cons are it will likely need a little choil rounding and have Tokushu check it is straight. My nakiri was fine but gyuto took 30 seconds of sandpaper on the choil. Still significantly less work than my Toyama choil.

I'm in the same boat, Munetoshi and Shindo are such a good 1-2 punch for bang/buck.

Only cons are it will likely need a little choil rounding and have Tokushu check it is straight. My nakiri was fine but gyuto took 30 seconds of sandpaper on the choil. Still significantly less work than my Toyama choil.
I'm getting tomorrow my first shindo (bunka), pretty excited 😆 considering you seem to love the new Mazaki as I do,it will be fun

Also just dropped at Ai & Om.

https://www.aiandomknives.com/produ...-10-damascus-gyuto-210mm-ebony-handle-limited
I expect the Takada grind is great as always. It's interesting seeing Nakagawa branch out into VG-10. I've seen a few other knives by him out there in that steel now -- I know VG-10 doesn't have the greatest reputation around these parts, but has anyone tried his out?

I personally really dislike VG-10 but Nakagawa is known for his ginsan so I'm sure as far as VG-10 goes it should be fine
Yeah, I only have personal experience with VG-10 from relatively "cheap" knives. And Nakagawa Ginsan has been pretty great from what I've used. So I'm a bit curious about the steel in the hands of a more respected blacksmith rather than the big factories that usually work with the stuff.

I expect the Takada grind is great as always. It's interesting seeing Nakagawa branch out into VG-10. I've seen a few other knives by him out there in that steel now -- I know VG-10 doesn't have the greatest reputation around these parts, but has anyone tried his out?

The only VG-10 i’ve tried so far is Yu Kurosaki Fujin damascus. I really like it but I don’t mind trying Nakagawa VG-10.

SimilarLy for my Wakui
I am also a huge munetoshi and Mikami fan and this fits right in with those rustic vibes. Shindos are similar to older generation takedas imho. Thicker spine, slight S grind, super thin behind the edge, cool KU. Really can’t go wrong at that price. I’ve owned all aogami shindos I think and the gyuto and funayuki are my favorite. Now if he would only make a 240 aogami…

I am also a huge munetoshi and Mikami fan and this fits right in with those rustic vibes. Shindos are similar to older generation takedas imho. Thicker spine, slight S grind, super thin behind the edge, cool KU. Really can’t go wrong at that price. I’ve owned all aogami shindos I think and the gyuto and funayuki are my favorite. Now if he would only make a 240 aogami…
Gonna have to pick one up! Too many on the wish list
Based on @Infrared s review I ordered a custom Okubo from Michael last night- curious to try the “best knife in the world ”

Just ordered my first Kyohei Shindo, the 210 gyuto with no handle from Tokushu. Asked for one with some extra height if available. Looking forward to it!
You are not going to be disappointed with it, it's insane how you can get a s grind at this price point

FYI Bernal seems to be having a flash sale right now. FLASH20 gives 20% off

(not sure what it's valid on, but it works on morihei)

Last edited:
Back