Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know morohei is made by TF, but how does it compare to the TF lines? Is it more comparable to the Nashiji or the Mab lineup?
It's ironclad, so just think of it as a separate line/finish. But it's similar to the nashiji and mab in that it's white1. I can't tell a difference in the heat treat or whatever (though others may claim to).

I know morohei is made by TF, but how does it compare to the TF lines? Is it more comparable to the Nashiji or the Mab lineup?
There are also SS clad versions but like the Mabs and Nashiji's they're prelaminated bar stock. The iron clad are slightly more special IMO being hand forged most likely by the aforementioned elderly blade smith. The performance of the steel is the same and undergoes the same water quenched HT process.

There are also SS clad versions but like the Mabs and Nashiji's they're prelaminated bar stock. The iron clad are slightly more special IMO being hand forged most likely by the aforementioned elderly blade smith. The performance of the steel is the same and undergoes the same water quenched HT process.

As you know more than I, what's the diff between the bolster/non-bolster options?

The extra $ for the Fine Finish is worth every penny. I like this line better than the Mab, Nashiji, and Denka (even post District Cutlery thinning).
I have every style and agree although take exception to the Denka comparo. The longevity of the AS edge just carries it over the line by a nose.

As you know more than I, what's the diff between the bolster/non-bolster options?
Bolster examples are generally a little nice in the pics grip. Wabi sabi can be off the scale for the non bolster version, literally. Some of the scale gaps are criminally large. I would only buy one of these if I planned to rehandle.

Bolster examples are generally a little nice in the pics grip. Wabi sabi can be off the scale for the non bolster version, literally. Some of the scale gaps are criminally large. I would only buy one of these if I planned to rehandle.

Thanks. Not going to go that route at the moment. I checked over my last order from ProTooling and shipping/duty doesn't make even the 25% off worthwhile for me.

I definitely like DC regrind the most. TF Mab and Denka inconsistent cutting performance ootb from knife to knife. I’ve only used one fine finish and it was good. Even though FF versions seem to be thinner I’m not sure I’d say they’re generally better.
If anyone is considering a TF from protooling I’d highly recommend asking for some photos of the inventory before ordering

I definitely like DC regrind the most. TF Mab and Denka inconsistent cutting performance ootb from knife to knife. I’ve only used one fine finish and it was good. Even though FF versions seem to be thinner I’m not sure I’d say they’re generally better.
If anyone is considering a TF from protooling I’d highly recommend asking for some photos of the inventory before ordering
Biggest upside for me with the FF is the even blade road. Its kasumi ready. It takes a lot of work to iron out some of that TF wabi sabi to get to the same point. Nice having someone else do the heavy lifting.

Biggest upside for me with the FF is the even blade road. Its kasumi ready. It takes a lot of work to iron out some of that TF wabi sabi to get to the same point. Nice having someone else do the heavy lifting.
I’m sooooo tempted, but only 210 available…

step down and get the 180 👿
I have the 180 Tanuki from JNS and honestly don’t think I could ask for more than that - I do love a ‘big petty’

Back