Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A pizza cutter strikes me as one of those things that I'd want to be stainless. The last thing you want to do after slicing a piping hot pizza is head over to the sink and try washing the cheese off the spinny thing.

It's fun to sharpen them on a high speed belt grinder... :p
Is it more or less fun when the wheel has lots of play?

Hey does anybody know anyone who has one of those Munetoshi from cleancut? Why is the kanji so different from JNS (which JUST sold out their 210s.)

also is that weird Watanabe site that looks like it should be on geocities legit? Where are the best places to pick up one? Carbon has been sold out forever.

Hey does anybody know anyone who has one of those Munetoshi from cleancut? Why is the kanji so different from JNS (which JUST sold out their 210s.)

also is that weird Watanabe site that looks like it should be on geocities legit? Where are the best places to pick up one? Carbon has been sold out forever.
To get what you really want, it’s easiest just to go through him. He doesn’t really have many vendors. I know MTC NYC got a handful in.

If you thought Watanabe’s website is like something on Geocities, try taking a gander at Mizuno’s website 😉

Epic edge recently started carrying some Watanabe as well.

When did CC start carrying munetoshi?

I got the munetoshi nakiri. It is thin, feels a bit crooked and and it has a pronounced hollow grind which you notice once you put it on the stones. But it's just inexpensive and takes a really sharp edge it has a nice ku finish and it will chop veggies without any wegde. It's my beater nakiri

Epicurean Edge... Beat that.
Don't have too many issues with EE. Clear and plentiful pics plus specs of knives. Also he details customs, although I'd prefer them in metric weights and measures. I wonder sometimes if I'm buying knives or fruit & veg.

Isn’t it somewhat common that kanji (and other inscriptions) can differ between different retailers? I have one Munetoshi from JNS and one from cc. The ku on the cc seems somewhat more consistent and less (for lack of a better word) spotty. But, most importantly, the steel is very nice on both. It’s the best white#2 I’ve tried.

Don't have too many issues with EE. Clear and plentiful pics plus specs of knives. Also he details customs, although I'd prefer them in metric weights and measures. I wonder sometimes if I'm buying knives or fruit & veg.
But the layout and usability and color scheme.... :facepalm:

@M1k3 I think you’re right!

Attachments

• DF5C8FD0-2E2A-461E-9A03-3BB50EF42859.jpeg
    DF5C8FD0-2E2A-461E-9A03-3BB50EF42859.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 420F012A-A3EF-463E-BD71-F846C14B7303.jpeg
    420F012A-A3EF-463E-BD71-F846C14B7303.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 49
Fun fact: the cc box says ’Black nashiji’. Here’s the cc choil! Not exactly polished, but a half-hearted attempt at rounding the edges has been made!

Attachments

• 6E234B04-6601-457D-AF99-A5712DA458D8.jpeg
    6E234B04-6601-457D-AF99-A5712DA458D8.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Looks like stamped vs hand chiseled kanji in your first picture.

I'm so tempted to try another Munetoshi when I hear about how other users describe their knives compared to how mine performs.
I agree with you though that it's the most impressive White #2 I've used yet.
Your Munetoshi doesn’t perform? Or did I misunderstand you? What do you have?

Munetoshi feels a bit numb to me. Kind of brutish and thug-like. Super unrefined. Cuts well, but in my limited experience (loaner from a friend) it’s tough as nails and does the job. Not sure that I’d reach for it as much as the others I’ve at hand. Liiiiike saaaaay the second gen Maz that crushed my dinner last night🤪

Yes that's what I meant. My 210 gyuto wedges pretty badly and has some weird grind issues.
Parts of the blade performs OK on certain ingredients. The steel really stands out though. Love sharpening that knife!
Ah, yes! I had to thin mine, a lot! And there are still low spots. But I’m ok with that. It’s rough and needs some care. After that it’s a killer. 🥳

What's wrong with big bird? 🐥
Nothing: lots of meat on big birds. I just figured the super sized kanji on the jns version perhaps weren’t a deal breaker (or at least not something that spoke in favor of getting the jns over getting the cc version). They’re both deliciously ugly and good looking in their own right, I think.

Latest posts

Back