Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been a couple at that price and they just sit. Way overpriced.

Yeah, that one has been up there for almost a week. $1150 shipped for a 210 is way
overpriced even in this market. Outside chance to get that for a 240 but not a 210.
Seems like it’s a member from this forum. Remember, after the ridiculous fees the price is probably in line. Regardless, he’s free to ask what he wants!
Ebay takes 10%, which is ridiculous for sure. Still leaves him over a grand for a 210 which is even high for flipper prices. Probably why it is still just sitting there.

Last edited:
I have no idea what Kato standards go for these days. What’s the JNS retail? Anyone know?

Realistic new price for 210 Kato standard is $750-850 based on recent sales

Wish I knew. Certainly less than $750. Maksim was selling western handled 240's for less than $1K

Last time I bought 210 and 240 katos were at 480 and 570. Maybe late 15 or early 16.

The uchi 240mm is listed at $660(already sold out), and the Hana 240mm is listed at $690.

That's actually a very significant price jump from 210mm where the Hana is $390. It doesn't make sense to me.

On the 130mm petty, Hana is 260, Uchigumo is 284. On the 210mm gyuto, Hana is 386, Uchigumo is 490. Santoku, Hana is 340, Uchigumo is 460.

Last edited:
That's actually a very significant price jump from 210mm where the Hana is $390. It doesn't make sense to me.

On the 130mm petty, Hana is 260, Uchigumo is 284. On the 210mm gyuto, Hana is 386, Uchigumo is 490. Santoku, Hana is 340, Uchigumo is 460.
I know I'm replying to myself, but I found a reliable source that mentioned there is a little bit more time and attention to detail involved with the Uchigumo series of knives, hence the higher cost.

That said, they both look fantastic to me. I just prefer the wa-like handles.

They list it as out of stock, though.

KS are still available (at retail) through the vendor chain at if you look around.

Masamoto tends not to release these knives to only one vendor, who can then price gouge and corner the market. They seem to take fair play into account and provide a certain number to roughly all of the vendors. So you get a big global batch and each vendor gets a fair share/allotment. And then they sell out until the next batch comes in, but its only been 1 a year for 2018 and 2019 so once these are sold will likely be a long time for re-stock.

The price does seem to have gone up around $30-40 (10%-ish) but this is in line with Japan wide ~20%+ price increases at Watabe, TF, JKI etc (also mizuno 30% increases last year). It seems premature to conclude this is a Masamoto only price hike. Jon from JKI did a thread on it and so did one fo the european members who does alot of work with woodworkign tools. These industry wide price increases were telegraphed several months ago :(

Masamoto tends not to release these knives to only one vendor, who can then price gouge and corner the market. They seem to take fair play into account and provide a certain number to roughly all of the vendors.
Nice. For once, someone with some ethics in sales!

...The price does seem to have gone up around $30-40 (10%-ish) but this is in line with Japan wide ~20%+ price increases at Watabe, TF, JKI etc (also mizuno 30% increases last year). It seems premature to conclude this is a Masamoto only price hike. Jon from JKI did a thread on it and so did one fo the european members who does alot of work with woodworkign tools. These industry wide price increases were telegraphed several months ago :(
Nobody is saying that the price increase at retailers is out of line with other increases only that the KS is not worth the retail to begin with even before any increases. It sure as hell isn't worth the $600 - $800 they are asking on Ebay.

Back