Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You peasants let me know when some hado b1s pop up on the market. If not you will be eliminated.

Do you like the Blue 1 version more because of the looks? Or is the Blue 1 really significantly better than the W2 version of Hado Sumi? I read multiple times here on this forum that W2 from Tanaka is nothing special, but I wonder if you really feel the difference without knowing it

Do you like the Blue 1 version more because of the looks? Or is the Blue 1 really significantly better than the W2 version of Hado Sumi? I read multiple times here on this forum that W2 from Tanaka is nothing special, but I wonder if you really feel the difference without knowing it
You definitely feel the difference.

@Seemore

They're good knives. The big vintage gyuto makers, Takahashi Hamono, masakane, Tokyo murasada, Sukehisa. I prefer sukehisa to masakane in terms of steel. That style of handle allows more for butcher work -- symmetrical handle for different grips, regular grip and dagger plunge grip. They're not the craziest steel ever but I don't find them lacking really as a usable knife, and I use some old stock SK steel knives for my personal cooking, despite having owned a lot of fancy blue, white, swedish, stainless etc.
I appreciate all the detail, thanks.

Really tall, only one photo per knife, not much detail on dimensions, and >$800 for a 210. But hey, they're "available at an affordable price" 🙄

(I got no issues with makers putting out lower-priced lines and have bought plenty myself e.g. HVB, but a little self-awareness that we're dealing with degrees of luxury would be nice. Rant over.)

I would have bought the 220 but was in back to back meetings. I think the height is fine. You can’t compare it to a traditional gyuto. It is more like a gyuto / bunka hybrid kinda knife. I bet you these cut very well.

Really tall, only one photo per knife, not much detail on dimensions, and >$800 for a 210. But hey, they're "available at an affordable price" 🙄

(I got no issues with makers putting out lower-priced lines and have bought plenty myself e.g. HVB, but a little self-awareness that we're dealing with degrees of luxury would be nice. Rant over.)
I agree word choices can be better. Think he’s just trying to say these are much more affordable than his regular offerings. His latest regular knife from a couple of weeks ago was a 227mm gyuto priced at $2,650. The 220mm in today’s drop is 31.8% of the price of that knife.

Back